Community discussions

DrRob
just joined
Topic Author

Use a client cert to securely access WebFig?

Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:02 pm

Is it possible to configure WebFig to allow secure login using a client certificate, so that I don't have to enter a password every time, but the connection is still authenticated and secure?

Or failing that, is there anything I can do to allow my browser to remember the username/password for the WebFig login screen? For some reason the browser doesn't seem to recognise it as a login screen so doesn't offer to remember the password for me.

Thanks,
Rob.

ps. Yes, I know I could just remove the password and set firewall rules to restrict access from my computer only, but that's too insecure.

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Use a client cert to securely access WebFig?

Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:43 pm

Better that that... do yourself a favour and use winbox, tons of added benefits (you can have your router entries already saved with password on your Winbox 3.x bookmarks, multiple windows, layer2 access, RoMON...)

Webfig just replicates the winbox UI (with limitations) so you will feel quickly "at home".
Simplicity is the Ultimate Sophistication - Da Vinci
Getting the most out of this forum

DrRob
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:12 pm

I was going to object as I use a Mac, but it seems to run just fine under Wine. So, good tip, thanks.

Rob.

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:18 pm

I personally use Os X.

Just use winebottler (http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/) to package a standalone Winbox app:

1.- Download winbox
2.- Download and Open winebottler, go to the Advanced tab.

Program Installation:
Select This is the program, copy it to the app bundle and point to your winbox.exe local copy.

App Bundle:
(optional) Tick include wine.app if you don't want to install Winebottler/wine on other macs (you can just copy the .app as is to them)
Fill in your desired details (can be made up)

Click install, and will generate the .app where you specified.

On the first launch an updating Wine environment and several messages will popup, and the process may take a while, be patient until Winbox shows up. On the 2nd and subsequent launches it will launch inmediatly.

Tips:

Use winbox in advanced mode, and tick Autosave session and Open In New Window.

The main app dock icon will be a darker blue, you can open all the Winbox instances you wish from it, either by double clicking on your Managed tab bookmarks, or by manually typing it on Connect To: field. "Child" winbox instances will have a slightly lighter blue color.

To update winbox, close all winbox instances. Launch it, go to Tools > check for updates, and the .app bundle will be updated, no need to "re-bottle" it.
Simplicity is the Ultimate Sophistication - Da Vinci
Getting the most out of this forum