Community discussions

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Watchdog timer rebooting router. Why?

Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:39 pm

I have a NetMetal as AP running and watchdog time was set to 'yes' = enabled. But no IP to watch for.

Still unit disconnects at times (every day or so). Why?
What makes watchdog timer to reboot the unit when it doesn't ping an IP address and further more to me it looks all runs fine....?

Any clues?

Log doesn't tell me nothing. Only that unit "was rebooted without proper shutdown by watchdog timer".
Show your appreciation of this post by giving me Karma! Thanks.

Rudy R. Puister

WISP operator based on MT routerboard & ROS.

CyberTod
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Watchdog timer rebooting router. Why?

Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:50 pm

The hardware watchdog timer which is set by using the check-mark and the ping watchdog which is set by the 'watch address' are two different things.
The hardware watchdog is an internal function. Simply said a low level hardware sends a signal to the operating system and asks for a reply. If there is no reply it reboots. It could be also the operating signal sending signals to the hardware that it is alive to prevent the reboot. This is very helpful when there is a software crash because the system is rebooted without the need someone to go and do it manually.
What is the reason is difficult to say. It could be a real crash. Sometimes it is caused by high cpu usage and the software is unable to reply to this signal.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Re: Watchdog timer rebooting router. Why?

Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:09 pm

The hardware watchdog timer which is set by using the check-mark and the ping watchdog which is set by the 'watch address' are two different things.
The hardware watchdog is an internal function. Simply said a low level hardware sends a signal to the operating system and asks for a reply. If there is no reply it reboots. It could be also the operating signal sending signals to the hardware that it is alive to prevent the reboot. This is very helpful when there is a software crash because the system is rebooted without the need someone to go and do it manually.
What is the reason is difficult to say. It could be a real crash. Sometimes it is caused by high cpu usage and the software is unable to reply to this signal.
Yeah, well. What was the reason? The big question.... I was working on a client to get pppoe-client going but apart from that there was not a lot of traffic and cpu was at 15 -35% ....

See if it happens again....
Show your appreciation of this post by giving me Karma! Thanks.

Rudy R. Puister

WISP operator based on MT routerboard & ROS.