Community discussions

MikroTik App

wtm
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Best way to do subnets for customers?

Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:58 pm

I have gone through the web looking at ways to do subnets for my WISP to provide customers their own IP blocks. So far all I can find information about is how mathematically subnets are divided? Not how they are "physically" programmed into a router to do it !

What I would like to do, is split a /24 network, and provide some /30 subnets to some customers!

How do I program my routers to do that ? These will be Internet IPv4 IP addresses and not private ones.

Do I just program the router WAN with the /24, and then the LAN port with a /30 ?

Thanks, Wayne

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Best way to do subnets for customers?

Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:03 pm

Yes, that is all there is to it!
The route table will automatically be populated with the proper routes for the customers.
Of course, when using /30 for each customer from a /24 you can use only 1/4 of the available
addresses for customers (1/4 will be router addresses and 1/2 will be wasted as network and broadcast)
but that's life.

nickshore
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:32 pm

Better to connect the customers using PPPoE, then you can assign a /32 to them or route a bigger block without wasting IPs.

wtm
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:42 pm

Thanks guys !
Wayne

wtm
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:57 am

Do I just program the router WAN with the /24, and then the LAN port with a /30 ?
Well, THAT didn't work ? Anyone have any suggestions?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:41 am

Ok that was not completely correct.
On the WAN side you will usually have another /30 which you get from the provider just to connect the two routers.
Configure that.

wtm
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:49 pm

On the WAN side you will usually have another /30 which you get from the provider just to connect the two routers.
Configure that.
How's THAT going to give me divided subnet on the /23 on my LAN side ?

What I want to do is to be able to take some Public IP's through the site routers, where my network NAT is being done now, and then be able to give them directly to special customers that need direct Internet IP's. We already do Port Forwarding, and SNAT/DNAT IP's for special customers, but that is using "Private" IP's to do it. I now have a customer that wants "Direct" IP's with no Private IP NAT on them.

Tried to do a "Passthrough" on it, but it would not work. What I don't want to do it, just give them a "switch" port connected to the /23 on the network. That would leave me hanging open for future problems !