Community discussions

MikroTik App

jpadgett46
just joined
Topic Author

AVB audio protocol

Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:21 am

So as of right now MOTU is the only company that sales a switch that will do AVB. Cisco is on the development panel but they have not put out a switch that will work with any of the digital mixers out there right now. It really would pay for MikroTik to look into this. It is an open protocol.

Information can be found here:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Video_Bridging

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:25 am

Interesting. Hope there are real devices utilising this set of protocols.

jpadgett46
just joined
Topic Author

Re: AVB audio protocol

Mon May 02, 2016 2:07 am

Don't know exactly what you mean by real but when you consider that right now there's probably the potential for at least 100,000 customers between the home studio market and lab concert sound I would think that would be real enough!

pachy

Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:11 am

Hello, Something new about avb and mikrotik ??

pachy

Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:05 pm

No interest about avb in mikrotik's forum.
There's something about netgear switches
https://support.biamp.com/Tesira/AVB/In ... T_switches
Any informations about this, and just in case of for mikrotik's router ?

JmD
just joined

Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:02 am

It would be really nice to have Mikrotik supporting AVB. I am considering using one of MOTU's soundcards for my music studio, but also as a DAC for my hifi system. I will most likely use a Mikrotik RouterBoard fo the networking needs, and since the MOTU soundcard hass support for AVB it would be absoutely stellar to be able to stream audio through the network utilizing the Mikrotik router.

JanezFord
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:22 pm

It would be really nice to have Mikrotik supporting AVB. I am considering using one of MOTU's soundcards for my music studio, but also as a DAC for my hifi system. I will most likely use a Mikrotik RouterBoard fo the networking needs, and since the MOTU soundcard hass support for AVB it would be absoutely stellar to be able to stream audio through the network utilizing the Mikrotik router.
Also consider some other networked audio protocols ... Dante, Soundgrid, Ravenna... they all work with regular ethernet equipment.... I chose soundgrid. It's only requirement is gigabit speed, dante can also works with 100mbit/s but with less channels than gigabit.

JF.

pachy

Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:31 pm

Also consider some other networked audio protocols ... Dante, Soundgrid, Ravenna... they all work with regular ethernet equipment.... I chose soundgrid. It's only requirement is gigabit speed, dante can also works with 100mbit/s but with less channels than gigabit.

JF.
Yes but some audio pro manufacturers choose avb for the new products (Meyer sound, l-acoustics, avid,...) and apple provide virtual sound card without extra cost.
About the Dante, I think mikrotik isn't fully compatible because igmp snooping is recommended.
Ravenna is similar then Dante, because twice using aes67.
So I think it will be good if mikrotik try to do something to be avb ready ;)

JanezFord
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:47 pm

Yes but some audio pro manufacturers choose avb for the new products (Meyer sound, l-acoustics, avid,...) and apple provide virtual sound card without extra cost.
About the Dante, I think mikrotik isn't fully compatible because igmp snooping is recommended.
Ravenna is similar then Dante, because twice using aes67.
So I think it will be good if mikrotik try to do something to be avb ready ;)
I use dante quite often (I do live sound) often with mikrotik equipment without issues... I can say the same for soundgrid ...

Yes, meyer, l-acoustics and avid prefer avb... soundcraft, d&b, yamaha, lab gruppen are more into dante ... waves and digico are more into soundgrid, lawo likes ravenna, midas aes50... thanks god that cobranet and ethersound are part of the past :)

the main AVB downside is that it can't use regular switches ....

JF.

pachy

Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:11 pm

Not regular switch but development to be avb ready seems not to hard :
- motu make an avb switch (300€)
- netgear gs7xx (150€) ready just with a licence extension (150$)
- extreme networks ready (500€)
- cisco too but 100k€ lol

It's just a proposition, mikrotik decide ;)

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:58 am

Email sales@mikrotik.com and make a case for adding AVB support.

They are actively working on the CRS3xx switches, of which the chipset has the necessary features to allow AVB support, so the timing would be good...

pachy

Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:57 pm

Hello is there some news about avb support ?