Community discussions

bcsteeve
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Pre-purchase advise please

Thu May 12, 2016 11:15 am

Hello. I am new. In fact, before today I never heard of MicroTik. I ran into a problem and someone on SmallNetworkBuilders suggested I look at MicroTik.

I'm considering the RB2011 but want to know if it is suitable.

Currently my WAN is only 15/1 DSL but they are upgrading to Fibre 100/20 in coming months. I need it to be compatible with both (I have zero experience with Fibre).

I'm not concerned about WiFi.

My current problem with my consumer-grade router is bandwidth sharing with my roommate. I can limit each of us to 50% but then when one isn't using it, the other 50% is "wasted". What I want is to be able to share the bandwidth such that 100% (or near it - I understand there will be overhead) is available to either party if possible, but 50% is guaranteed to each. Is that possible with this OS?

Some people say it is impossible to control download, but that doesn't make sense to me since my current router can effectively cap each device. I figure a smarter router should be able to dynamically adjust that cap based on availability (or something to that end)

At the same time, I'd like our (shared) VOIP to have top priority. I can do that with my current router so I'm sure that won't be an issue.

Thanks for your guidance. I'm not looking for a hand-holding step-by-step... just want to know if this hardware will help me with my goal or not.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 12, 2016 1:44 pm

I can say so. It will not be easy but if you are willing to learn, you will succeed finally.

bcsteeve
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Pre-purchase advise please

Sat May 14, 2016 12:59 am

Thanks... I was hoping for a little more assurance :)

I posted on smallnetworkbuilders and was told the RB2011 was a weak, "old" router that won't keep up. Is that the case? I thought even the little hEX Lite would handle my needs. I get that either probably won't be ideal with gigabit internet, but that's nowhere on my horizon.

bcsteeve
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed May 18, 2016 7:03 pm

Really? It takes FIVE DAYS to approve a reply to my own thread?

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 18, 2016 11:17 pm

Some people say it is impossible to control download, but that doesn't make sense to me since my current router can effectively cap each device.
It's true you can not really control download (i.e. the traffic coming in your WAN port), however you can control the traffic going out your LAN port(s). Technically, it's not the same, however it will do what you want in wast majority of situations.
I posted on smallnetworkbuilders and was told the RB2011 was a weak, "old" router that won't keep up. Is that the case?
RB2011 should be powerful enough to handle 100/20 link. However it all depends on the complexity of your configuration. You need queues, so you will not be able to use fastpath/fasttrack, but even without these features RB2011 should be fast enough for your needs. You can find some numbers at the bottom of this page.

p3rad0x
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu May 19, 2016 3:47 pm

you can always get a rb3011 or a rb1100 ahx2 or even a CCR if you are planning future upgrades
There you go then you touched something ;-) : it only takes a change in wind direction to screw with your nat :-)

maznu
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu May 19, 2016 9:07 pm

We have a customer with a 100/100Mbit link, and their RB2011 doesn't get above 25% CPU load.
Marek

bcsteeve
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu May 19, 2016 9:10 pm

But are there any queues going on there?

maznu
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu May 19, 2016 9:52 pm

[quote="bcsteeve"]But are there any queues going on there?[/quote]

No queues, but plenty of firewall rules, and BGP... oh, and it is a VPN endpoint for their roadwarriors.
Marek

vortex
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu May 19, 2016 11:46 pm

I handle 500/50 with the RB2011 at 65% using fasttrack.

NAT+firewall. NO BRIDGE. No queues. No PPPoE.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 20, 2016 6:08 pm

Yep. Fasttrack is giving a nitro to the router if it is possible to use it.

bcsteeve
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri May 20, 2016 9:10 pm

And as I understand it, I will not be able to use it. The whole value of this router, to me, is its ability to queue in more advanced ways than my current Asus router. In fact, my Asus has huge thoroughput as-is... speed is not my concern (althought, lack of it certainly would be).

I've ordered a 2011 so I'll just have to see.

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 20, 2016 9:30 pm

And as I understand it, I will not be able to use it. The whole value of this router, to me, is its ability to queue in more advanced ways than my current Asus router. In fact, my Asus has huge thoroughput as-is... speed is not my concern (althought, lack of it certainly would be).

I've ordered a 2011 so I'll just have to see.
I lab-tested the 2011 back when it was new and had quite an intricate maze of firewall rules / queue trees for QoS and rate-limiting, and mangle table rules. It was able to handle rate-limiting to 80Mbps / 20Mbps with significantly higher back-pressure (meaning that I was shooting over 100Mbps at it and it was queueing down to 80) and maintained perfect voice quality on a phone and no loss in video quality on a Youtube stream + downloads going on all at once. It got to around 80% cpu as I recall (this was in 2013 so I don't remember perfectly). This was before fastpath/fasttrack was invented, so that should be a rough idea of what you can expect to see out of it w/o fasttrack.

The queues shouldn't be too bad - look into PCC queueing for your solution, which does what you want - fairly divide bandwidth between <X> clients, while allowing the full pipe if only one of the clients is doing anything at the moment.
When given a spoon,
you should not cling to your fork.
The soup will get cold.

bcsteeve
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri May 20, 2016 9:38 pm

Thanks, I appreciate the tip!

bcsteeve
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri May 27, 2016 9:55 am

The queues shouldn't be too bad - look into PCC queueing for your solution, which does what you want - fairly divide bandwidth between <X> clients, while allowing the full pipe if only one of the clients is doing anything at the moment.
I finally got my MikroTik... and I can't find anything relating to PCC queueing. Any direction?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 27, 2016 12:24 pm

Google?

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 27, 2016 12:30 pm

I can't find anything relating to PCC queueing. Any direction?
It must by PCQ, not PCC, I guess. Look here for details.

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 27, 2016 4:21 pm

I can't find anything relating to PCC queueing. Any direction?
It must by PCQ, not PCC, I guess. Look here for details.
Yeah, I meant PCQ.

PCC is the firewall classifier type that's used in load-balancing multi-wan connections (among other uses).
Whoops.
When given a spoon,
The soup will get cold.

bcsteeve
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri May 27, 2016 7:56 pm

I thought that might be the case, but didn't want to presume. Google (yeah, thank's for assuming I'm an idiot jarda :D ) quickly showed me PCC was a relevant term for this discussion, but I couldn't find anything within Mikrotik's documentation.

Thanks for clarifying.

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 28, 2016 12:26 am

I thought that might be the case, but didn't want to presume. Google (yeah, thank's for assuming I'm an idiot jarda :D ) quickly showed me PCC was a relevant term for this discussion, but I couldn't find anything within Mikrotik's documentation.

Thanks for clarifying.
Jarda is the "haiku" of forum gurus here - maximum wisdom in minimal typing.
When given a spoon,
The soup will get cold.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Pre-purchase advise please

Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:34 am

Thanks for such nice compliment. It's because I read the forum on tapatalk in public transport so typing is quite a bit problem and also googling for others is very inconvenient on mobile phone. And even worse. I cannot see the my installations to review details, so I am just trying to get some fast hint to point the questioners to the right direction.