Community discussions

MikroTik App

cutedrummerboy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

ipv6 auto configuration (SLAAC) question

Tue May 17, 2016 1:06 pm

ipv6 auto configuration (SLAAC) is not providing my router lan interface global ip as gateway to my client (win7, debian jassie, miui android, win10). it is providing the link local ip of my router lan interface as gateway. is it correct for auto configuration?? can any one tell me why this is happening??
Device: RB2011UIAS-RM, RB750GL, CISCO SG300-28, UNIFI UAP-LR

cutedrummerboy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: ipv6 auto configuration (SLAAC) question

Tue May 17, 2016 4:25 pm

one more question, can anyone tell me when the full version of dhcp6 will release??

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 17, 2016 7:25 pm

How did you configure that address on the interface?
Make sure you have all addresses configured on the correct interface and no bridge between them.

cutedrummerboy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue May 17, 2016 7:37 pm

[admin@ISP1 Router] /ipv6 address> print
Flags: X - disabled, I - invalid, D - dynamic, G - global, L - link-local 
 #    ADDRESS                                     FROM-POOL INTERFACE                                                                                              ADVERTISE
 0  G fd50:15fc:9a22:2::1/64                                vlan2                                                                                                  yes      
 1  G fd50:15fc:9a22:4::1/64                                vlan4                                                                                                  yes      
 2  G fd50:15fc:9a22:5::1/64                                vlan5                                                                                                  yes      
 3  G fd50:15fc:9a22:6::1/64                                vlan6                                                                                                  yes      
 4  G fd50:15fc:9a22::2/64                                  ether1                                                                                                 no       
 5 DL fe80::d6ca:6dff:fe91:5cc8/64                          ether1                                                                                                 no       
 6 DL fe80::d6ca:6dff:fe91:5cc9/64                          vlan4                                                                                                  no       
 7 DL fe80::d6ca:6dff:fe91:5cc9/64                          bonding1                                                                                               no       
 8 DL fe80::d6ca:6dff:fe91:5cc9/64                          vlan2                                                                                                  no       
 9 DL fe80::d6ca:6dff:fe91:5cc9/64                          vlan6                                                                                                  no       
10 DL fe80::d6ca:6dff:fe91:5cc9/64                          vlan5                                                                                                  no       

here is my addresses. ether1 is connected to another router

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 18, 2016 12:13 am

It is normal that devices will use the link-local address as the gateway. In general, when devices talk to other devices on the same LAN segment, they're going to use the link-local addresses and not the globally-unique routable addresses (public addresses). It takes a little getting used to, but it makes sense when you start to get the hang of it.

Also - the router isn't providing the address, it's advertising the local prefix. It's the client device which chooses an address for itself from within the prefix of the advertisement. Routers send the RA messages using their link-local addresses, and the client device will simply set its default gateway to be the link-local address of the router whose advertisement it heard.
When given a spoon,
you should not cling to your fork.
The soup will get cold.

cutedrummerboy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed May 18, 2016 6:41 am

It is normal that devices will use the link-local address as the gateway. In general, when devices talk to other devices on the same LAN segment, they're going to use the link-local addresses and not the globally-unique routable addresses (public addresses). It takes a little getting used to, but it makes sense when you start to get the hang of it.

Also - the router isn't providing the address, it's advertising the local prefix. It's the client device which chooses an address for itself from within the prefix of the advertisement. Routers send the RA messages using their link-local addresses, and the client device will simply set its default gateway to be the link-local address of the router whose advertisement it heard.
thank you ZeroByte, i understand the fact. i think now its time to get full support for dhcp6 in routeros. also we need separate package named ipv4 and no need of separate ipv6 package.