MikroTik App

Beccara
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Advice on remote locations

Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:14 am

Hey All,

We will be putting up a fully isolated POP soon, It will have to be fully n+1 setup.

At this point we are looking at doing it like this

2 RB532's with CM9's/R52's WIth sperate antennas, This is the backhaul link and we are making it N+1

for clients to connect we will be using sectors on 4 RB532's.

We are going to keep it to 1 radio per RB532 to get the maxium amount of data out of it. As the site has no power we are looking to put 2 x 400w Wind Generators on the hill with a battery bank.

Has anyone done anything like this before and do you have any data on how long RB532's will last on marine battries?

Cheers

Stryker777
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:20 am

I was planning on doing some testing on this myself. I have solar needs for a few locations but want the research done first. I will be running a couple with dual 200mw radios off a battery soon to find the time till it discharges too low and then timing the solar charge up.

I havent tried wind because some locations just do not have enough, it would probably need solar suppliment in any area around here.

shielder
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:52 am

i agree with Stryker777, solar energy would be a better option. u can buy it directly from hyperlink (http://www.hyperlinktech) directly.
i have an experience to share with users, i have one tower set up like this :

rb532
1 SR5
1 CM9
running 18v.
for power, we have only 3 hours a day from a local villager generator so i use 2 75ah batteries (serial) to make it 24volt and we use a inverter to make the output become 18 before going into rb. no adaptor is needed,just plug the dc cable to poe injector. it works for months.

don't use ac power as it consumes more power that u can imagine if you are running on remote site. use dc directly.

for your data : rb running on 75ah fully charged batteries could last for 2-3days. before it keeps restarting due to low power input :lol:

cheers mikrotik

Beccara
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:31 am

Wind is the better option for us, even using a few RB532's out loading wont exceed 90watts but each of the wind gen's can produce 10kw every day in 40km/h winds which is more than enough on this site given it's extremely windy.

We are looking at putting 1000AH of Battries up there

Stryker777
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:13 pm

Thanks for the data Shielder! I have been looking at 1000ah batteries also. The reason was winter. With no sun sometimes for a week I was going a little large. I would much rather use a 350ah and that seems completely possible based on your numbers. I really like the idea of batteries and radio links running off solar power. Great isolation and ability to relay into the worst locations.

trtmrt
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:51 pm

Thanks for the data Shielder! I have been looking at 1000ah batteries also. The reason was winter. With no sun sometimes for a week I was going a little large. I would much rather use a 350ah and that seems completely possible based on your numbers. I really like the idea of batteries and radio links running off solar power. Great isolation and ability to relay into the worst locations.
Even in winter solarcell is working ... If there are no snow on it :)
That will be a problem :)

bushy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:46 am

I know cm9's die if the voltage goes really low ( < 7 v ) feeding wrap board , maybe a low-volt-disconnect is a good idea just in case ?

Maybe link the serial ports of the Routerboards too ? Could get you out of trouble one day

Beccara
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:57 am

We are going to use a DC-DC convertor, Input is 8-16v but outputs a clean and filtered 12v

shielder
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:51 pm

As my suggestion i think you don't need to use dc-dc converter, u just need to run a small electric cable on + and - of your batteries that are serially connected to each other. As batteries are 12v and when u serial it would become 24v and just ask any of your local electrician to make a inverter to make 24v becomes 18 and it would works perfectly just like using ac adaptor. :lol:

bjohns
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:32 pm

I did a solar powered wireless repeater setup some time ago using a Cisco BR352 Wireless Bridge.

http://www.naturalnetworks.net/index.ph ... &Itemid=27

Bloody old now but hopefully some info is still useful. Solar power is pretty much the norm in most parts of Australia since we're the driest continent on the planet... Wind power works well in the southern extremes tho.

Make sure you use a good quality charge controller and don't skimp out on the batteries - you get what you pay for!

GWISA

Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:41 pm

As my suggestion i think you don't need to use dc-dc converter, u just need to run a small electric cable on + and - of your batteries that are serially connected to each other. As batteries are 12v and when u serial it would become 24v and just ask any of your local electrician to make a inverter to make 24v becomes 18 and it would works perfectly just like using ac adaptor. :lol:
Hmmm... why convert the voltage to 18v in the first place? Why not just put 24v straight into the RB via a low-voltage cutout switch?

A practical battery example - 1 RB532 with 3 x 100mW radios lasts around 3 days on 45Ah battery...

8)