Community discussions

MikroTik App

dsoodak
just joined
Topic Author

possibly copper-wall-related wireless issues

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:16 am

After finding it nearly impossible to connect to our netgear (even though there were full bars for most of the house), we got a mikrotik. It works a lot better but still disconnects several times a day (ex log: "Wireless Disconnect Extensive Data Loss "). The fastest way to reconnect when this happens is to power-cycle the router.

I'm starting to suspect that the 10x12ft copper wall behind the fireplace might have something to do with it.

What are some good wireless settings (channel width, band, protocol, etc.) for an environment with strong signal but lots of reflections?

Dustin Soodak

quackyo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: possibly copper-wall-related wireless issues

Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:23 pm

If your device has 2,4GHz and 5GHz, try both.
In general, if there is a lot of noise, try (in 2,4GHz) chan1,6 and 11, no extension channels.

There might also be noise from other sources in your house, I have experienced that alarm detectors destroy channel 1-3 (2,4GHz) multiple times. The problem with this is that a router on auto channel chooses the channel with the least WIFI traffic on, but cannot see the non-WIFI noise on the same frequency. Therefore it chooses chan 1. But chan 1 is destroyed by the alarm detector, with the same result as you describe - full "bars" but not possible to connect.

I have an old USB spectrum analyzer that helped me discover the source of this.