Community discussions

MikroTik App

JBrinkZA
just joined
Topic Author

Netinstall sending offer, but not installing

Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:41 am

Hi All,

I've been battling a bit (and found a solution) with netinstall after acquiring a few RB411's and a RB311, to upgrade the RouterOS package on the devices. I do this as a standard when acquiring new "old" devices, to reset everything to the beginning of time on it, and start from scratch.

I started with serial comms, to upgrade RouterBoot to the latest versions available - All Good
I then boot the device to Ethernet and start up "DHCPServer" on my Windows 10 laptop to offer an IP lease, and start up Netinstall with Netbooting active. Looking at the serial console, the board gets the IP, goes into kernel mode and awaits the installation server to send its offer. THIS is where this go wrong...
RB_NetInstall.png
The netinstall session finds the RouterBoard, and with everything ready to install, I click on the board and then on Install. The status then changes to "installing" and the Progress Bar changes to "Sending Offer". This goes on for a few seconds, and then back to "Ready" without installing the package...
RB_NetInstall_2.png
I've managed to get the Package installed by using the exact same utilities open on any other laptop, and once the RouterBoard received its IP address from the Gateway, to plug the ethernet cable into the other laptop where Netinstall picks up the board, and I can continue installing the packages...

Is there a way that I can find out why this specific laptop won't install via netinstall?

I've tried disabling all anti-virus and firewalls available, and checked the networking configurations. On other laptops, I don't even have to do anything except telling netinstall to run, and it works. How can I check where it's going wrong?

Thanks!
Johan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

M3nt0san
just joined

Re: Netinstall sending offer, but not installing

Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:14 pm

It just happened to me also with a RB951ui-2Hnd - pretty much the same situation. I googled around but no proper answer. I sent it to over the dealer and hope to handle it as a warranty, but I would like to know if I could have done something else in order for it to make it work.

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:04 pm

You don't need to setup any DHCP server on windows, netinstall is an all in one package which provides bootp, tftp and DHCP for the routerboards. In fact, that was probably your problem.

To successfully run netinstall, you need pristine Layer 2, some tips:

- Disable firewall and any security software which may interfere with network communications.
- Disable wireless interface if using a laptop, or any other network devices but the one used for netinstall.
- If still you experience problems, buy a USB ethernet dongle, and use it for netinstall. Some in-built network cards drivers can be problematic.

M3nt0san
just joined

Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:06 pm

I solved that issue. It seems that my laptop has installed WIn10 and it simply does not want to allow me to do the procedure on W10. I tried about 20-30 times without any success, while keeping the reset button for different amount of seconds.
The only thing that did the job was to try the netinstall procedure on other pc that had Win7. A frustrating process but i figured it out on other router that had some other issues.
Thanks anyway.

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:35 pm

Best approach I've found is:

- Use a USB ethernet dongle for this (dirt cheap)
- Having a XP or W7 vm on virtualbox, which has this USB ether for its exclusive use.

Once you set it up it will work always regardless of main OS wireless settings or main network driver.

Retral

Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:39 pm

I second the last post. I haven't tried it but it does seem to be a Windows 10 related issue. I had an RB2011 booted up via ether boot and tried the install button multiple times only to have the device turn back to Ready mode without any install. I then closed Netinstall set it to Win7 compatibility mode opened it and proceeded to flash the RB2011 with a custom script (on the same boot mind you).

RackKing

Re: Netinstall sending offer, but not installing  [SOLVED]

Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:33 am

So.... thank you everyone for this thread and specifically to @Retral and @pukkita.

I worked on this for a couple of hours.... it was maddening. I tried 3 different branded laptops win7 - 10 not luck until I found this thread. I think this thread should get referenced in the Wiki.

FYI - I could get Netinstall to see the 3011 and everything was OK until I hit install - then basically nothing happened. It would simply flays "sending offer" for a micro second then go back to ready something like 5 seconds. Same result over and over.... ugh. I actually recorded the screen to see the message. Many others have the seen the same behavior.

My fix = use a USB to Ethernet adapter and run Netinstall in Windows 7 compatibility mode. I was lucky to have a crappy beat-up Sabrent laying around from a couple years ago, but it worked at least. Even in compatibility mode I could not get the on-board Ethernet adapter to work.

What worked for me on Lenovo Windows 10 64
- followed the Wiki with the typical stuff
- I disabled the Windows firewall on my laptop - to be clear, I am not sure this made any difference after the application was allowed.
- I set Netinstall to run in Windows 7 Compatibility mode.
- Used a USB to Ethernet adapter....
- The mythical progress bar appeared and SUCCESS!!!!!!

Some Weirdness - I did this about 6 times before calling it good. I did have it time out once and go back into "ready" mode. I did nothing but close Netinsall, restart it and tried again - boom it simply worked.

I hope this will help others in the same boat. Now how to figure out how load a script as part of process with flashfig.... I can't seem to make that work.

Cheers.

ko20
just joined

Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:13 am

Old topic, but will add my findings for anybody facing same issue.
Running netinstall on win10 in compatibility mode (windows 7) solves described problem.

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:26 pm

I did have it time out once and go back into "ready" mode. I did nothing but close Netinsall, restart it and tried again - boom it simply worked.
I see this same complaint so often, MikroTik should put it in the netinstall Wiki (if they're not going to fix the bug).

If I can use "Previous install" button, this failure happens only occasionally. If I have to select a new set of packages, it happens with near certainty.

Either way, when it happens I have found that quitting netinstall, relaunching, and choosing "Previous install" (which is now the right set even if it wasn't before) wasting as little time as possible fixes the behavior every time.

verminson
just joined

Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:48 am

I had the same issue on Windows 8.1, and I eventually succeeded with the following configuration:

[*] NetInstall set to Windows XP compatibility mode.
[*] NetInstall ran as an administrator.
[*] Firewall disabled.
[*] All other network interfaces disabled in control panel.

Maybe some of the items are redundant, but this is exactly what worked for me. I have a suspicion, that in my case the crucial action was disabling all network interfaces, excluding the one needed to communicate with MikroTik.

Soulburner7
just joined

Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:21 pm

Just wanted to add this in case someone runs into the same issue. To fix my sending offer issue, I had to disconnect the ethernet port going into my docking station which is connected to my laptop via USB-c cable. I forgot that all connections being disconnected (except for the one going to the Mikrotik device) before using NetInstall was a good thing. Worked right after I unplugged the ethernet cable (probably because it was sending the offer down the wrong ethernet port while the cable was connected to the dock).

The long-term solution if you don't want to disconnect your ethernet cable every time is to:

Head into your network adapter properties
IPv4 Properties (Same place you set a static IP)
Advanced Button
Un-check Automatic Metric
Set the Interface metric to a number (lower number = higher priority / first to respond to internet requests)
Confirm all settings

Tested it myself. Left automatic metric on and tried NetInstall. Sending offer issue remains. Only turned off Automatic metric and set the metric to one. NetInstall works normally with docking station cable still connected.

My general NetInstall setup:
I have NetInstall set to run as administrator every time it runs (check box in in the exe properties / compatibility tab). Compatibility mode is un-checked. Windows Firewall is set to allow NetInstall through it (all boxes checked).

Found the steps for changing the metric here:
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-chan ... windows-10

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Soulburner7 on Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

africantech
just joined

Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:43 am

Thank you. After trying everything else, the above bit in bold (changing the metric) solved the issue I was having.

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:47 am

A interesting observation.
I wonder if the analogous control on a Mac to the "interface metric" on Windows is "Set Service Order."

usken
just joined

Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:06 am

Thank you!!
The automatic checkbox made netinstall not working for me. Only set 1 here, then it worked like a charm again...
Skjermbilde 2022-10-10 070340.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tonywoolf
just joined

Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:49 am

Yep, Windows 7 Compatibility mode does the job for me!

Boeta
just joined

Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:31 pm

Thanks to all contributors on this forum regarding this issue. Funny enough, its the first time I encountered this issue with Netinstall with a Windows 10 OS. The Mikrotik device I used was a SXT R11e-LTE, it would read after reset with Netinstall but I wouldn't install/format the Mikrotik device. I did as was suggested by the various contributors.
* Make sure laptop/PC is not connected to any other open connections e.g. Wireless or Ethernet other than directly connected to the Mikrotik Device.
* Set Netinstall to run as Administrator.
* Set compatibility to Windows 7 --NB!!! Open the Netinstall.
* Apply the reset procedure for starting the Mikrotik device e.g. Reset button keep in, apply power and keep in for at least 20 secs, release reset button and watch until Netinstall list the device
* Continue with installing and formatting etc.

* Tip: Remember to enable/select the start over network ability's for Netinstall netbooting, Boot server function to work properly. WIn 10: Open Networking & Internet settings, Change Adapters options, Right-Click - Local area Connection, Properties, Internet Protocol V4 (TCP/IPv4) - properties, Advance, WINS, Enable NetBios over TCP/IP

It help me, I hope I can help someone else also.

ccl13
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri May 12, 2023 1:41 am

This post helped me a lot.

To add my bit for whoever comes later, this is what I did to made it work.

My OS is Windows 10 x64 22H2.

Here's the preparation work:
- Use compatibility setting to make netinstall run in Windows 7 Compatibility Mode and run with Administrator Permissions.
- Disable all other live network connections. In my case, because I have Windows virtualization enabled, I have a long list of Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter. They do not matter as long as they are not assigned an IP address. For me, just disable the physical ones worked.
- Add netinstall to firewall exceptions.

And to trigger it, on my CCR2004, I have to hold the reset button, wait for USER light to come up, to become blinking, to become solid, then to turn off. Release reset button when the light turns off. The device showed up in netinstall after about ten seconds. Other ROS devices probably have different ways to put into Etherboot mode.

Then proceed with install is fairly fast, took less than a minute to get everything done. Also, if it ever fails, it is fairly foolproof to retries. You can turn off netinstall and run it again, or just click install again.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 12, 2023 2:15 am

[…] Use compatibility setting to make netinstall run in Windows 7 Compatibility Mode […]
A complete loss of time, is useless.

And to trigger it, on my CCR2004, I have to hold the reset button, wait for USER light to come up, to become blinking, to become solid, then to turn off. Release reset button when the light turns off. The device showed up in netinstall after about ten seconds. Other ROS devices probably have different ways to put into Etherboot mode.
NO timer: simply keep reset pressed until the device is visible on netinstall.

GiovanniG

Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:12 am

Thnaks for this post, I'm runngin win10 and same issue, the solution was running in win7 compatibily mode. If there wasn't this thread I could probably not solve it. THANK YOU

edwaine
just joined

Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:50 pm

I can confirm that this method still works on Windows 11. Just do the following:
1. Disable Antivirus
2. Disable Firewall
3. Do the standard pre-netinstall process
4. Run the netinstall app in Windows 7 compatibility mode and as an administrator.

NetworkPro
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:59 pm

1100ahx4
formatted flash
now netinstall is not installing - sending offer
missing probably the netbios setting mentioned above all other settings Ive already tried

tried many combos of the mentioned and other solutions found by me in the past, nothing worked this time

must try Linux cli next

please give hints if you know any

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:09 pm

1100ahx4
formatted flash
How was flash formatted? Netinstall does it, but IIRC it doesn't explicitly say at which stage it's done. So I'm guessing you did it in some other way?

NetworkPro
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:10 pm

by RouterBOOT 6.43.12

NetworkPro
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:12 am

Success with native booted Linux.

Ohhh yeah. 😁 :mrgreen:

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:14 am

Yup Item f. LOL
( viewtopic.php?t=182373 )

H. NETINSTALL & PROTECTED ROUTER BOOT MODE (PBRM)

NETINSTALL should be used if any security concerns arise OR if your firmware version seems to be acting strangely or the firmware version is really old!!
PBRM is mainly activated/used by those 'loaning' routers to customers and want to retain control over the firmware. viewtopic.php?t=181158
FOR MAC - https://tangentsoft.com/mikrotik/wiki?n ... 20on%20EL9
MT VIDEO --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzlLbIf3Dbk

Also, another way of getting your unit(s) up to date is to netinstall devices, especially if going from a really OLD firmware to the LATEST firmware. I would say it's preferred because it also installs recent default configuration, while upgrades convert running configuration. A few versions between your running ROS and current one brought some big changes and it is possible for upgrade process to fail to convert old config to new one. In addition, new default configs makes much more secure setup in certain aspects.
In other words, if you are many firmware versions behind, netinstall is the least painless way to get to the latest config and is more secure.

Note: Upgrading, when WIFI is involved is to 7.13 and beyond is best done through netinstall, otherwise you need to go through 7.12 first and then 7.13 or beyond (by normal upgrad process).

Sage tips/advice on NetInstall if having difficulties ( USE ETHER1 OR the port named BOOT ) ......
a. Regarding Etherboot for all devices, the most error-free method is - to press the reset button, keep it pressed, power on the device, and wait until the device shows up in the NetInstall window, then release the button. This holds true for the Audience as well.
b. Try to have a direct cable connection between computer and device (laptop to device for example).
c. A trick which helps for some is to only use a dumb switch in between, nothing else connected.
d. Also on THE COMPUTER being used to run netinstall, there may be issues if there are multiple NETWORK interfaces. If experiencing difficulties on the PC, it is best to ensure all other NETWORK interfaces are turned off.
e. Enable NETBIOS, over TCP/IP ( active vice automatic or disabled )!
f. Apparently (fart, belch) some users have success using a LINUX computer vice Windows......... hard to believe but worth it if no luck otherwise !
g. A forum post on the subject with some ideas --> viewtopic.php?t=109086&sid=2c700617e89d ... 1660a296ef

User Comment: In my experience, Netinstall often fails to detect devices after the ethernet link to the MT device goes down and up again while netinstall is running.
Either place a dumb switch between the PC and the MT box to netinstall, so the PC ethernet link stays up during reboot while entering Etherboot.
Or first put the MT box in Etherboot mode, wait for the link to come up and start Netinstall after the link is up.

User Comment: Useof displayed or entered mac-address vice IP address in winbox needs to be emphasized.

General Refs:
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/Netinstall
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/pages/vi ... Id=1409054
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:E ... set_button

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:48 am

FOR MAC - https://tangentsoft.com/mikrotik/wiki?n ... 20on%20EL9
Do you have the un-truncated URL?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:52 am

It's not THAT hard to reconstruct ...

https://tangentsoft.com/mikrotik/wiki?n ... l+on+EL9&p

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:59 am

Maybe, and maybe not. The file at that URL has lots of mentions of Windows and Linuxes, but not a word about Macs. Or perhaps the phrase "FOR MAC" meant something else.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:10 am

There is the first part up until wiki and then the text shows EL9.
There is only 1 entry in that wiki referring to EL9.
So still rather easy to reconstruct, I would say ? :lol:

I do agree though that page doesn't say anything about MAC. The only thing I could see was note 3 related to Parallels.

mojo
just joined

Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:08 pm

This worked for me (hEX Lite RB750r2 and W10p):
A simple Switch between Laptop and Router
(The router disconnect a couple of times during Etherboot - this is enough to confuse w10)

Tried all the things in this thread - but its not necessary
Used a usb-ethernet adaptor
Running as administrator
Running W7 compatibility
Changing from auto metric to 1
tcp/ip advanced wins - activate NetBios over tcp/ip

You still need to:
Follow the guide for netinstall on mikrotik wiki
Enable Netinstall in firewall on public net

jbl42
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:48 pm

Yes, having the link going up and down on device reboot confuses Windows and/or Netinstall.
One way to avoid this is to use a dumb (unmanaged) switch in-between.

Another way is to boot your MT device into netboot mode and wait until link is up again before staring netinstall.
Once the MT device is in netboot mode, has stable link and has started to send boot requests (visible on the Ethernet port activity LED), start netinstall.
At least for me this reliably makes netinstall immediately "see" the device and works.

The root cause is MT devices send netboot requests to the broadcast IP (255.255.255.255) and Windows is somewhat random on deciding to receive or discard such broadcasts on IP interfaces. Especially if link goes up and down and if there is more than one IP interface.