Community discussions

MikroTik App

Milan
just joined
Topic Author

Missing Wiki doc for /ipv6 dhcp-relay

Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:10 am

There is no explanation for /ipv6 dhcp-relay at http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:IPv6

This is essential for MS Windows to configure IPv6 address of DNS server.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Missing Wiki doc for /ipv6 dhcp-relay

Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:24 am

It is probably an experimental feature that may not work at all, seeing that there is no GUI support
for it but only commandline.

I think for now you need to use IPv4 DNS only. This does not mean you cannot use IPv6.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:57 pm

DHCPv6 relay is not for Windows DNS server assignment. It is something similar to an IPv6 DHCP relay.

However, if you need to distribute IPv6 DNS server addresses to the windows host you have configure these things:
1) For prefix you want to distribute to windows hosts (or default) set other-configuration=yes in the '/ipv6 nd' menu.
2) add dummy DHCP-PD server in the '/ipv6 dhcp-server' menu on the interface where you are announcing your prefix.
3) configure '/ip dns' servers attribute to hold IPv6 addresses

wiki entry for DHCPv6 relay will be fixed and the winbox support added.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:59 am

Does that actually work? When the DHCP-v6 server will send DHCP server info to a client, will it send
its own IPv6 LAN address or will it send the IPv6 addresses from the /ip dns info? Can the Windows
client still get its address using SLAAC and then request a DNS server address using DHCPv6?
(as I think the DHCPv6 server cannot assign addresses from the local prefix)

SDFadfasdfadsf
just joined

Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:09 am

I don't quite understand the configuration. My ISP provides DHCPv6-PD. I would like my WAN router to relay DHCPv6 request from LAN router. So how should I configure it on the WAN router? The DHCPv6 server address is link local

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:14 am

That is an entirely different topic. For DHCPv6-PD from your provider you use DHCPv6 client, not relay.
Just configure it, specifying the interface name of the link to your provider (PPPoE interface if it is used)
and enter some arbitrary name for the pool. The client will request the prefix and put it in the pool.
Under IPv6 addresses assign the internal interfaces (LAN) an address from this same pool.

SDFadfasdfadsf
just joined

Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:57 pm

That is an entirely different topic. For DHCPv6-PD from your provider you use DHCPv6 client, not relay.
Just configure it, specifying the interface name of the link to your provider (PPPoE interface if it is used)
and enter some arbitrary name for the pool. The client will request the prefix and put it in the pool.
Under IPv6 addresses assign the internal interfaces (LAN) an address from this same pool.
I have a downstream DHCPv6-PD client. RouterOS DHCPv6 relay has 0 documentation and does NOT work at all.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:05 pm

Probably in this case you would have to use a dhcpv6 client to get a pool from upstream and a dhcpv6 server to send prefixes downstream.
However, I have not tried it in practice.

sawilkinson2
just joined

Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:28 pm

How many of you have actually attempted use of the DHCPv6 relay? It successfully hands out prefixes from the server, but doesn't populate a route for those prefixes. Quite the headache. I can statically route the prefix from the server down to the relay, but if I try to use any routing protocol whatsoever, there ends up being a routing loop and an unreachable prefix.

raymonvdm
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:48 pm

I`m trying to setup IPv6 DHCP Relay but it looks like it doen`t do anything. The wiki is still missing so i don`t know which values to configure

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:40 am

It is an unusual setup and it probably doesn't even work.
The common method is to use IPv6 DHCP client to get a prefix from the ISP (DHCPv6-PD) and put that in a pool,
then configure your interfaces with addresses "from pool" and set the Advertise option.
Also configure the IP DNS to have the proper IPv6 DNS servers.
The clients will then use IPv6 stateless autoconfiguration to get their IPv6 address, the default gw, and the DNS servers.
DHCPv6 is not used by the clients in this case.

xxiii
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:03 am

wiki page for /ipv6 dhcp-relay still missing.