Community discussions

MikroTik App

jscoulter
Topic Author

cant connect to WinBox via MAC Address

Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:13 am

Hi All.
When on the training in Singapore, I found that my laptop would not connect to the MikroTik if I used the MAC address of the router....well thats not entirly true, it connected, but then I got a message almost immediatly saying that the router had been disconnected.
I CAN however, connect via the MikroTik's IP Address, so thats ok, BUT I came home I tried to connect to the MikroTik on my main development machine, and I get the same issue as with my laptop !!
I have another test laptop and that will connect via MAC Address with no probelms.

Has anyone else had this problem, and is there a solution??

p.s. forgot to mention, the laptops and my dev machine are all running Windows XP Sp2

Thanks, Jeremy

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:19 am

If you talking about the same router and two laptops.
First thing check first laptop settings firewall, etc.

To check that MAC-Winbox server is disabled ('/tool mac-server mac-winbox print' look at the listed interface), but as you said there is no problems with another laptop, check 1 laptop settings.

jscoulter
Topic Author

Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:28 am

Yes as I said my desktop developer machine and my main laptop wont connect or rather have a problem using MAC Address, but the one laptop doesnt.
So, what sort of setting should I be lookin for?

p.s. the firewalls are always disabled :-)

p.p.s just to thro something into the mix, I just fired up a windows 98 Virtual PC session (because it loads quick) and I can connect to MikroTik using the MAC Address with no issues ON my development machine....the same machine that I get immediatly disconnected on.
Would it be something I have enabled in my network settings such as QoS or some such thing?

Jeremy

cmit
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:56 am

What is known to create problems with MAC WinBox/telnet is having more than one (active) network interface on your client machine.

So if your XP machine has more than one network interface active (like ethernet and wireless) try to disable all interfaces but the one you actually want to connect through.

Best regards,
Christian Meis

jscoulter
Topic Author

Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:57 am

On my development machine, this fixed the problem.....for about 20 secons then it drops th connecton again :-(
I tried this on my laptop, and at about the 18-20 second mark, I got the name thing.
Then, they both reported that it :-
"Could not connect to 00:0C:42:04:B2:92 (Port 20561)-!"

Jeremy

Eugene
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:39 pm

Do you have the latest winbox loader? You can download one from the router with the latest version of RouterOS.

Eugene

jscoulter
Topic Author

Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:48 pm

Unfortunutly.....yes I am :?

Eugene
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:16 pm

You have to find the difference between that two machines and notify us about it.

Eugene

jscoulter
Topic Author

Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:32 am

well the laptops are 2 different colors, but I expect thats not what you mean......so where shoudl I start looking?
It must be related to network drivers or network protocols or SOMETHING, but I am not sure where to start looking for differences. Can you suggest what I might start looking for?

Jeremy

joeri91942
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:13 am

I had this same problem about a year ago, was in communication with MT support about it back then (even offered to open up my machine so that they could run it remotely to find the problem).

However the only reply I got to my questions was "It works" so I assumed that it was working the way it was supposed to...... that is, not at all!

/Jörgen

cmit
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:03 am

Another thing I seem to remember is that at least some time ago I havd to have NetBIOS (Windows networking) enabled on the interface I was using for MAC-WinBox.
As unrelated as this might seem (at least to me ;) ) it DID help. Worth a try...

Best regards,
Christian Meis

jscoulter
Topic Author

Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:00 pm

Well, today I had to give up my MikroTik unit as we needed it for an install, so I was not able to test your suggestion.....UNTIL I thought, "He I should download the ISO file for a PC and install it under Virual PC" which I have now done, and I am quite impressed as its only 14mb, easy to install, and best of all I can use WinBox to connect to it, SO I can try some of the suggestions and see if I can stop the disconnection issue.
BTW, WinBox disconnect pretty much straight way under the above senario too, so I can just plod away for a couple of days and test the ideas.

Jeremy