MikroTik App

cpresto
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mikrotik GPON FTTH Architetcure

Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:09 pm

Hello,
could it be possible to develop a GPON architecture to deliver FTTH services, using routerboards and SFPONU ?
As described in the attached picture, a single "access switch" (or rotuer) might be used, with a SFPONU, connected to a splitter.
The vertical distribution should be made of "single fiber cable" (e.g. Prysmian Verticasa).
The splitter could be this one http://www.prysmiangroup.com/en/busines ... itters.pdf.
As CPE will be used a routerboard with another SFPONU, e.g. a 2011.

Could this be a working architecture? Are there any similar working deployment?
Thank you,
Rgrds

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mikrotik GPON FTTH Architetcure

Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:03 pm

Maybe I've missed something, but I didn't think that Mikrotik has an OLT SFP. The only GPON SFP I'm aware of is for the client side (ONT).
If this is still true, then you need to use some other vendor for the OLT, but you can still use a CCR1009 as the router.
When given a spoon,
you should not cling to your fork.
The soup will get cold.

cpresto
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:42 pm

Thank you for reply ZeroByte,
yes, you are rigth. I'm new to GPON technology, I'm studying it's fundamentals in these days ...
Do you know OLT SFP that works with Mikrotik? Have you ever tested such products? Just to display two of them available on the market:
   http://www.fujitsu.com/downloads/OPTCMP ... alog-e.pdf
   http://www.cdr.pl/download/RTXM167-522.pdf

What about GEPON? Is it supported by Mikrotik o is it simply a matter of the SFP transceiver ?

Rgds

mcdnl90
just joined

Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:25 am

Hi,

Regarding the OLT SFPs, they are designed to work with specific GPON hardware, you can't plug them to a standard SFP slot and create a PON out of it. The hardware for the "server" side of a PON is far more sophisticated and specialized, and, in fact, the OLT SFPs are just the physical component to the GPON technology. The "intelligent" part of the technology is inside the GPON header itself.
But in the client side you can use the MikroTik SFP (which contains all the client "intelligence") as long as the OLT allows it to connect, because OLTs usually place restrictions on the ONT devices through obscured and propietary OMCI properties
MTCNA, MTCWE, MTCTCE, MTCRE, CCNAx, GPON

sguox
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:44 am

Thank you for reply ZeroByte,
yes, you are rigth. I'm new to GPON technology, I'm studying it's fundamentals in these days ...
Do you know OLT SFP that works with Mikrotik? Have you ever tested such products? Just to display two of them available on the market:
   http://www.fujitsu.com/downloads/OPTCMP ... alog-e.pdf
   http://www.cdr.pl/download/RTXM167-522.pdf

What about GEPON? Is it supported by Mikrotik o is it simply a matter of the SFP transceiver ?

Rgds
next question is when will RouterOS support SFP OLT? and maybe a faster technology, XGPON.

cpresto
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:25 am

Thank you for replies,
in effect, using it with Mikrotik to serve a limited number of customers in a building in not worth while, because of the small price of BIDI SFP.
E.g. a "OPTIC-SFP-3524S-02-SC" transceiver costs about 9€ and the price difference between a rotuerboard with one and ten SFP slots is small as well.
Nevertheless, it could be useful and interesting to have Mikrotik products that covers all the GPON chain (OLT/ONT).
Waiting for Mikrotik staff to amaze all of us with this new feature... ;-D

mhugo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:26 pm

Hi,

We are actively investigating a GEPON architecture and despite being a heavy Mikrotik user for many years this is making us look at alternatives on central nodes.

I agree that BIDI is cheap and efficient, but it fills a lot in volume on central nodes and requires singlefiber per customer (espcially with Mikrotiks low density) when there are multiple per house. We do not want local active equipment in the basement since we will need to maintain ups etc and make agreement with landlord.

So for us GPON pair for low end users and seperate bidi fibers for highend users using multifiber to users.

Anyone has a better idea?

/M

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:06 am

Well - today I finally got a Mikrotik (( 2011UiAS-2HnD )) with a Mikrotik GPON SFP talking to my Adtran TA-5000 head end.

You can pretty much forget about using google for help on this topic (Mikrotik GPON to Adtran) --- I found nothing after a month of searching.

What you need to do is configure the head-end for your GPON network to treat the Mikrotik GPON SFP module like a regular GPON bridge device (NOT a residential gateway).

The Mikrotik SFP interface does NOT need a vlan - - Treat the Mikrotik SFP interface with the GPON module inserted just like a regular Ethernet connection.

---
FYI
I still have a lot of work to try and test. I want to get it to pass vlans - and possibly get a SubH (out-of-band-management) working on my Mikrotik.

North Idaho Tom Jones