DotTest37
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

How do they do this?

Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:45 pm

I was reading an article online, and found this:
http://www.netcelero.com/single-static-ip.html

They offer multiple bonded ISP connectivity as a service and they seem to claim offering the end user the same Public Static IP over any of the bonded ISP.

Any idea how they do that? 

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How do they do this?

Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:30 pm

In this case probably a number of VPN circuits that are bonded to provide a single transport for an IP
address that belongs to them.  So you have this fixed IP only as long as you buy their service.

In the general case this same thing can be achieved by getting a portable IP space and announcing it
on BGP via different providers (over fiber or DSL links to those providers).
However, that will not fly over normal 4G, you would need a private APN.

DotTest37
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:45 pm

I imagined something like BGP was used, since they seem to be offering a public IP that could be used on customer's premises to host service over the internet etc.
I know this has been discussed many times over, but in terms of BGP, how hard is to get a ASN for a small provider?
Some customers of mine have multiple ISP terminating at their office, (cable, fiber, DSL or a combination of them), but the big limitation is that each ISP offer them different public IPs.
Configuring MT routers to allow automatic failover for outgoing Internet traffic is easy, but the incoming traffic directed to the public IP served by the ISP that just went down is the problem.
What alternatives are out there to offer solutions to customers with that issue?

I looked at that website because it appears they offer solution out of the box, but they are in the EU and Im in the US, so not sure what else can be done here.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:16 pm

When using multiple VPN tunnels you have redundancy in connection so when your internet connection or its
associated ISP goes down, your business survives.
Of course when the company offering these VPN tunnels goes down, you still are a victim.

That would not be the case when using BGP, but to do that you need agreement with the ISP to route the
traffic over your link, and this has to be compatible with their infrastructure.   I think it will not work on a
plain 4G connection, you will need to get a special agreement with the ISP including an APN.

When you can live with outage of the company and its equipment, and only want to guard against outage of
an internet connection, the offered solution can well be implemented with VPN.
You can also set this up yourself.  Just get a (virtual) server with a few public IPs and setup the VPN
system e.g. with CHR.