Community discussions

cayars
just joined
Topic Author

Metal 52 AC poor performance

Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:18 pm

I've got a little "side project" for personal use and thought I'd try a couple Mikrotik products to see how well they work and to get a look at RouterOS.  Thus far I'm struggling to match what I can do with home user gear.

In a nutshell the premise is to have a couple of security cameras attached to one side of the link and to have an AP setup on the other side of the link that anyone with a computer, tablet or smart phone can use to access the cameras.  The goal is for a minimum of 1 KM with the proper antenna and height.  This is for open field use so it is a portable solution. This is PURE LOS in the middle of a big open field.

At present I can just get 225 meters from the two Metal 52 ACs which is no better than I was getting with household Asus/Netgear equipment mounted on 5 foot camera tripod stands.  I will have 4 solid bars on the link lights on the Metal 52 AC but no usable signal.  When I do I have signal it is often 1Mb or less (while actively being used) throughput which isn't enough. Meanwhile the Asus routers are still in the 20 megabit range on throughput.

I've tried a couple different setups (repeater mode, bridge, etc) with almost identical results.  I've tried all the latest versions of the currently firmware (release, bug-fix, release candidate).  As an experiment I've forgone the "bridge" and just setup a Meta 52 AC as an AP to check out the distance I can get to a variety of devices including computers and other routers.  By the specs I'd think the Mikrotik would smoke the Asus routers in distance but it isn't so.

ASUS 80 mW = 19dBm + 2dBi antenna = 21 dBm
Mikrotik Metal 52 ac with 1300 mW=31dBm + 6dBi included antenna = 37 dBm
At the proper distance I should see a 16 dBm (or so) improvement per side over the Asus gear but no matter what I do I can't get a signal from the Metal 52 AC that is better/lower than the Asus.  This just seems crazy to me. The Asus is consistently at least 2 to 3 dBm lower using Acrylic or Netstumbler.  This is almost a 20 dBm discrepancy in what I think I should see (ideal world).

Thus far I've tried setting antenna gain to 0, no country/US/UK/japan/etc and have manually set power to 30dBm/1 watt (tried lots of lower power settings also). I've tried setting preamble to both, short and just long. 20 and 20/40 MHz, Auto frequency and manually assigned freqs. I've tried Frequency Modes of superchannel and manual-txpower. Nothings seems to improve the range.

Thus far I've only played in the 2.4 GHz band since this is what I need to support on the "client side".

I was originally going to use a couple of Ubiquiti BM2HP bullets or Rocket M2 (600mW/28dBM) devices but figured I have an additional 6 dBm with the Metal 52 ACs (31+31-28-28) which would come in handy since I'm limited on antenna height (portable solution).

Questions:
1) If this is a 1300 mW radio how do I set the power to 31dBm? WinBox will only allow up to 30dBm to be entered.
2) Why does the tab "Current Tx Power" not show any results? This would be useful info to see if my settings are actually "sticking".
3) Is the included 6dBi antenna crap and the reason for such poor results?
4) Is it possible I got 2 bad Metal 52 AC units? (been trying the AP test with both of them one at a time).
5) Are there known problems with these units?
6) Why are the Metal 52 ACs performing 2 to 3 dBm worse (at any distance) than the Asus even though they have 16 dBm more per side?

Besides the questions just asked does anyone know of any thing else I should set/try?  Any/all comments or questions are welcome!!!
I'd really appreciate any feedback.
Carlo

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Metal 52 AC poor performance

Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:26 am

Make sure radio is on Manual-txpower.

harry66

Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:36 pm

I have exactly the same issues. The device seems to be far from its nominal transmit power even if set to capable channels.

No clue what else I could try.
hEX, RB3011, 2*RB951G-HnD, RB951-2n, Metal G-52SHPacn, RBmAP2n, x86, virtual

kristaps
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:50 pm

Please send supout.rif to support@mikrotik.com 

cayars
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:13 am

I wanted to update this thread.  I had ordered some cheap 14dBi patch antennas and they arrived today.  I setup two Metal 52 ACs on stands at about 200 feet from each with the stock 6dBi antennashttp://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=109647 and noted -52/-50 transmit (high and low numbers) and -51/-49 receive gain from the web interface on one of the radios. So lets call it -51 average gain.
Switched one antenna to the panel 14 dBi and got -39/42 and -35/38 so lets call it -40.5
Switched the other antenna and got a nice -26/-27 and -23/-24 so lets call this -26.5

The gain improvements are way better than I would expect. I would expect (14-6)*2 or 16 dBm gain from the two antennas.  Instead I got 51-26.5 or 24.5 dBm gain.

I picked up an additional 8.5 dBm or so.  This makes me wonder if the stock antennas are really 6dBi or really more like 2dBi antennas???
Has there been any reported problems with the stock antennas?

I'll do some additional testing in the field this weekend.

Carlo

wwadge
just joined

Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:54 pm

Hi, have you got any further updates on this? I seem to be getting the exact same thing.

amindzo
just joined

Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:33 pm

you mean that the its antenna is not working well? do you have problem with metal 52 ac? is it working well? i wan to use 10 of this product to cover the wide area.

bd0g
just joined

Wed May 24, 2017 2:42 pm

Any news on those performance issue?
I just acquitre a rb3011 nad i'm willing to upgrade my wireless network with metal 52 ac but those comments are worrying me and stopping me from clicking "buy"...

p3rad0x
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed May 24, 2017 3:47 pm

Good day,

Also note, the mobile devices you are connecting the the ap may be able the hear the ap, but struggle to talk back because of much lower gain and tx power.
There you go then you touched something ;-) : it only takes a change in wind direction to screw with your nat :-)

Thor187

Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:46 pm

Also, have the Metal AC and I am not impressed, my Tenda router is better than this.

What is the ideal settings to use on this device (I am assuming here that the device needs more configuration).

bmatic
just joined

Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:03 am

Hi, I dont know what is problem with Your setup, maybe channels (band) is to crowded, but I just wanted to show what speed results I get with two Metal 52 AC on 2.4 GHz N / 40 MHz / 1 chain on 5.2 km link - see Print screen in attachment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bmatic on Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:21 am

You don't need ac device for that. Such speed is achievable with whatever N device. You should not keep admin user in the system, replace it by your own not common user.

bmatic
just joined

Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:35 am

Yes, but that is purpose of dualband device, if You want / have an antenna for 2 GHz You set it up on 2 GHz, but whenever You want / need to work on 5 GHz You switch it to 5 GHz, that is the point of dualband devices. I set it up on 2 GHz because I already had 2 grid antennas for 2 GHz, later I will get 5 GHz antennas, and switch to 5 GHz.
Admin user wise, yes I know, and I am in transition of changing username to all my MikroTik devices, thanks.