Community discussions

MikroTik App

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Possible YouTube video ideas

Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:29 am

I've been having the itch to make some YouTube videos about routing/networking/RouterOS.
One thing that's helping my procrastination win out is that I can't decide what's a good topic for a first video / series of videos.
The focus would be on understanding the underlying mechanisms that make the solution do what it does.
(It's always better to learn why things work so that you can make your own solutions in the future)

If I were to make some videos, what topics would you guys be interested in seeing?

My intent (if I start making lots of videos) is to cover everything from basic networking theory to routing protocols like BGP, but I'd really like to know what the community would find interesting for a first video.

paulct

Re: Possible YouTube video ideas

Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:07 am

I think a very good topic would be vlan configs in:
1) CCR and other routerboards
2) CRS series

e.g setting up trunks, tagged/untagged, q-in-q etc

fposavec

Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:17 am

QoS on CRS 

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:20 am

Switches do not queue / prioritise packets so CRS is not right device for this from the cpu power point of view...

cdiedrich
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:47 am

+1 for VLAN management in routers and switches.

I'd like to see multi-WAN configurations with and without PCC - these topics are discussed here almost weekly so this would definitelly help.
VPN in general (road warriors and site2site), advancing through multi-WAN-multi-tunnel setups and topping at OSPF and BGP...
The idea behind transport networks and setting them up correctly would also be great to see.

Do you only want to cover networking or also general considerations (like deployment strategies, choosing the right ISPs for redundant tunnels, bandwidth expectations and stuff like that)?

Great idea, ZeroByte. Thanks for your efforts!
-Chris

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:32 pm

I dislike the idea of explaining things in a video, but it seems that others do like it.
(or there would not be so many videos on youtube)

It seems there is demand for explanation of the firewall in RouterOS and why the default firewall fails so badly
when internet-facing interfaces are added the wrong way (i.e. the way explained elsewhere on Youtube).

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:50 pm

The idea behind transport networks and setting them up correctly would also be great to see.
Transport networks - great point there.
Do you only want to cover networking or also general considerations (like deployment strategies, choosing the right ISPs for redundant tunnels, bandwidth expectations and stuff like that)?
I definitely want to focus more on theory than actual configuration walk-through / howto videos, because I think most people would benefit from actually learning what's going on - not just "put these rules and it will work." - I've seen some Mikrotik videos out there that make some pretty bad recommendations IMO. I really think I'd want to do one on the OSI model, for instance.
I think a very good topic would be vlan configs in:
1) CCR and other routerboards
2) CRS series

e.g setting up trunks, tagged/untagged, q-in-q etc
I wouldn't be able to do CRS because I don't have any CRS products - I'd be using GNS3 as the primary platform for videos, but you're definitely right that vlans are not well-understood by beginners, and the way they're done in RouterOS isn't obvious to someone coming from a Cisco background. 

mpreissner

Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:00 pm

Love this idea!  I think, though, that you probably will need to get into some How-To's, as theory can be applied across all vendor's equipment assuming they support the same features.  I think where the MT community is lacking is clear understanding on how to implement some of various technologies MT supports.  I think it's important to relate this to theoretical knowledge so we understand what's going on under the hood, but specific configuration examples would be VERY useful, especially to beginners.

blingblouw

Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:01 pm

I'd love to see some videos of how to to setup bgp, especially to a route reflector!

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:04 pm

Certainly - any topic would have a concrete example to work with. Theory needs somewhere to land and take root, but I think a certain amount of "what's going on" is very important even if you're learning a specific procedure.

And BGP is definitely something that could use some explanation - I remember when I was first having to learn BGP - it was quite a daunting task, and almost all material available at the time was very technical and didn't really explain the underlying ideas very well IMO.

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:19 pm

What about IPsec?

paulct

Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:38 pm

I wouldn't be able to do CRS because I don't have any CRS products - I'd be using GNS3 as the primary platform for videos, but you're definitely right that vlans are not well-understood by beginners, and the way they're done in RouterOS isn't obvious to someone coming from a Cisco background. 
It would be great, more and more networks are more dependent on layer2, aggregation etc. The vlan implementation in the CCR/CRS is quite a bit different. E.g Customer B wants a layer2 connection from point A to point G, they want to use any vlan they choose. Or Customer C wants you to carry Vlan224 from site B to his customer in site C. When to use a software bridge in a CCR? Should one rather use an EOIP tunnel and carry the vlan over that? All relative questions that someone might have.

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:39 pm

I love the idea too!

Judging from your written word I believe that you will make rather good and helpful videos! Looking forward to them! :D
I agree that there are many videos and tutorials out there that are bad.

I don't have any particular subject to propose but I would like the content to be kind of like the EEVBlog where Dave Jones goes in depth on how various electronic circuits work rather than simple 'copy/paste' tutorials of how to do stuff.

But even the more 'tutorial-like' channel of Keith Barker for mainly Cisco stuff is quite helpful to understand things.

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:58 pm

Keith Barker kicks asterisk...... (see what I did there? I made a pun - a-hah!)

I just want to see an OSPF tutorial that doesn't go off into the weeds about LSA types - yes, that's important, but I think that the design theory of OSPF is brushed over - ESPECIALLY when it comes to the concept of redistributing routes into OSPF (ASBR behaviors).

Oh, and thanks for the kind words!

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:34 pm

"How to forward a port - an ultimate guide" - And make it mandatory to watch for anyone who tries to post new topic about it (that would be the most important part). :twisted:
I dislike the idea of explaining things in a video, but it seems that others do like it.
I always prefer written tutorials (with pictures) myself. They allow anyone to go at their own pace. It's just not possible with one video, it will always be too slow for someone and too fast for someone else. But I'm not complaining about the offer.

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:53 pm

Another, a little bit more general, but more advanced, topic.

Firewall Optimization.
A guide to reduce the firewall load with in depth explanations of how rules are processed, why some rules are heavier than others, etc.
Of course this would require some prior knowledge of how ROS & Firewall/iptables work. It wouldn't be for beginners.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:03 pm

I always prefer written tutorials (with pictures) myself. They allow anyone to go at their own pace.
Exactly.  And you can use them at work where it is not possible to use sound.
However, I don't want to discourage anyone from making videos, because I see that others love them.
(when I am in a chat at home with some other admin I know and he is looking things up, I always hear him listening to youtube videos,
something I would do only when it appears to be the only available resource)

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:14 pm

"How to forward a port - an ultimate guide" - And make it mandatory to watch for anyone who tries to post new topic about it (that would be the most important part). :twisted:
I've thought that such a thing would be a great idea - I'm leaning in this direction / firewall design.

doush
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:49 pm

Typical WISP setup and configuration video by usings VLANs as PPPoE transport into a central concentrator. 

kujo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:51 pm

Routing rules in routeros, please!

Have a good day!

cutedrummerboy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:13 pm

all i say that make only hardware independent video. because all mikrotik hardware are basically same, some have extra usb port or switch chip or lcd panel or sd card reader or sfp cage.

and all kind of hardware and software independent networking videos are most welcome.
Last edited by cutedrummerboy on Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

irghost

Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:08 pm

VPN Server With ipv6 assignment Like Windows Server

cdiedrich
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:34 am

A very good subtopic would be "using transport networks with IPsec" - this a point where even some advanced users struggle with.
-Chris

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:07 pm

A very good subtopic would be "using transport networks with IPsec" - this a point where even some advanced users struggle with.
-Chris
I've always just opted for GRE-over-IPSEC and used OSPF on the GRE link, so I don't have to worry about traffic selectors for IPSec.

ruffles
just joined

Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:13 pm

Personally, I'd honestly like just a simple rundown of all the functions in RouterOS and maybe a real life example of each. But I know I'm noobie and there are people who'd prefer more advanced stuff. Just my humble opinion.
Also thanks so much for considering this, no matter what you do I will appreciate it. I'll take anything I can get :p

LaRP
just joined

Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:22 am

IPv6 for WAN and LAN
Preferably via a tunnel from Hurricane Electric's tunnelbroker.net service.

emikrotik
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:38 am

Packet flow and traffic control?

Different applications for simple queues and tree queues and how to setup PCQ.

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:20 pm

IPv6 for WAN and LAN
Preferably via a tunnel from Hurricane Electric's tunnelbroker.net service.
Great suggestion.

jaytcsd

Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:32 am

Site to site VPN comparisons of PPTP, L2TP, EOIP, EIEIO, IPIP tunnels.

Like a lot of users I'm self taught in IP and Mikrotik, I cut and past many of your examples.

PLEASE don't put music on the video.