Community discussions

MikroTik App

ners
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

What's faster&easier on the CPU: "conntrack off" or "conntrack on + fasttrack"?

Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:07 pm

SUBJ pretty much says it all. What's better from the performance point of view?

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: What's faster&easier on the CPU: "conntrack off" or "conntrack on + fasttrack"?

Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:42 pm

conntrack off, because contrack is still processing new connections even when fasttrack is enabled.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: What's faster&easier on the CPU: "conntrack off" or "conntrack on + fasttrack"?

Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:05 pm

But the question is if the router will be able to play his role in your case when conntrack will be off. You have to know...

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:42 pm

It is also not as clear cut as the answer suggests.
When you have conntrack off but you have a long list of static access list items that needs to be traversed for every
packet going through, it might well be slower than having conntrack on and an established/related rule at the top of the list.
(especially with fasttrack also on)

efaden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:46 pm

How about the new raw table?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:29 pm

How about the new raw table?
The same considerations are true for the raw table.

ners
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:40 am

It is also not as clear cut as the answer suggests.
When you have conntrack off but you have a long list of static access list items that needs to be traversed for every
packet going through, it might well be slower than having conntrack on and an established/related rule at the top of the list.
(especially with fasttrack also on)
That's what I was trying to say. I have huge lists of firewall filter rules and some 40.000 address list entries. I was wondering if conntrack on + fasttrack would be easier on the CPU than conntrack off and having each packet in the connection be processed by all the rules.

leonset
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:16 pm

That's what I was trying to say. I have huge lists of firewall filter rules and some 40.000 address list entries. I was wondering if conntrack on + fasttrack would be easier on the CPU than conntrack off and having each packet in the connection be processed by all the rules.
You should've clarified that on your first post and you would have got better answers... Anyway, there has to be an inflexion point, different for any given hardware, in the number of address list items to be checked where having a single stablished/related rule reduces the load, even if it forces conntrack on and a lookup in that table for each packet. I my opinion, it's better to check one table for each packet than checking 40000 address list items, but ymmv.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:35 pm

It is not completely certain which Linux method is used below the MikroTik address list feature,
but I think it is the ipset hash:net method. As the name already implies, there is some hashing going
on that should reduce the searching of the list from the sequential search that you would have when
just putting a separate filter rule in the iptables list itself.
Of course, hashing of an IPv4 network list using an IP address as a key is nontrivial, but I trust that
the kernel implementers have found a clever way to do that (actually there are some presentations
on the net about this).

ipset also offers the bitmap:ip method, which I use on a Linux system. It represents every IP in the
set by a bit in a memory area. It is of course very efficient in execution, less in memory. Unfortunately
the implementation allows the bitmap to represent only up to a /16 network, so it is not usable to
represent arbitrary addresses on internet in a single set. Also you need to pre-create the set with
the indication of the /16 range you want it to cover, which is not seen in the MikroTik user interface.
So that is probably not supported.

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:12 pm

I my opinion, it's better to check one table for each packet than checking 40000 address list items, but ymmv.
The cost of "searching" an address list is not a linear function of how big the address list is.
The router doesn't go through the list one by one asking "Is this it? Nope. Is this it? Nope. Is this it? ...."
Basically, an IP address maps to a certain hash, meaning that it has a specific place in the list where it will be found if it does exist in the list. All the router needs to do is hash the IP address and go look at that spot - if that spot has a "yes" stored there, then the address is in the list. If there's a "no" stored there, then it's not in the list. The router doesn't need to check all 40000 entries, just the one where the address WOULD be if it WERE in the list. This doesn't mean that it only takes one check though because the hash may map multiple addresses to the same place, in which case the hash function must be applied a second time....
It is not completely certain which Linux method is used below the MikroTik address list feature,
but I think it is the ipset hash:net method.
From reading a few of the ipsets man pages / presentations on the web, it appears that hash:net lookup complexity is roughly linear with the number of unique prefix lengths that exist in your hash. So if you used only /24 entries in your hash, then each lookup only has to hit the hash table 'once,' but if you store both /24 and /16 prefixes, then each lookup must hit the hash table 'twice,' etc. Basically this means that the lookup function takes the IP address being checked and masks it with each possible mask from the hash and looks for matches, starting with the longest-stored prefix length until it finds a match or runs out of prefix lengths to try.

The lookup time also apparently scales linearly with how densely you pack the hash with the probes parameter, so the "once" and "twice" above can become multiple hash(hash(hash(IP-to-test))) when the hash is mostly full, but this seems true of all of the hash types so it doesn't matter in this context.

In general, I'd say that ipset:hash can handle a set that's thousands and thousands of entries huge w/o placing significantly more load on the CPU than just a few entries.

Therefore, I'd imagine that if you do auto-blacklisting in ROS, you can keep lots of load off of the connection state tracking by dropping packets to/from blacklisted addresses in the RAW table's prerouting/output chains. This will prevent the packets from creating lots of connections in the connection state table, especially if these blacklisted addresses are trying to port-scan / ddos your box.

I think another good use of RAW table would be for a case where you want to use state tracking to protect the management plane of the router (input/output chain) but do NOT want to do connection state tracking on the packets flowing through the router - say this is a core router for instance. You could make a rule in the Raw table, prerouting chain:
/ip firewall raw
add chain=prerouting dst-address-type=!local action=notrack

I wonder how the performance of this would compare with completely disabling connection tracking....