MikroTik App

Zwodka
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Feature request - ModBus support

Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:34 am

Hi MikroTik!

Do you plan to implement Modbus support by RouterOS? I know it is not a IT standard protocol, but it is used most of the time in the industry. The Modbus (Tcp and/or Rtu) is a very simply protocol, therefore popular too.
I'm an engeneer, and I'm in BMS/SCADA. We use MikroTik devices more often, and It would be nice to see some information about routers/swtiches on the BMS-PC-.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Feature request - ModBus support

Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:54 am

What use would ModBus be in a network router?

npero

Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:05 am

For example Siemens WinCC support SNMP using OPC, you can read data from Mikrotik using SNMP, also other SCADA software can do the some.
Just type in google SNMP OPC server, enable SNMP on Mikrotik and rest is on your SCADA software or OPC server to support read data by SNMP.
The OPC Server for SNMP provides connectivity to SNMP compliant devices such as network switches, UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply) systems, media converters and other network devices. The OPC Server enables full monitoring and control of SNMP-enabled devices from any OPC compliant application such as IT Management Systems and HMIs.

You all ready have everything in Mikrotik just use it.

Zwodka
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:15 am

For example Siemens WinCC support SNMP using OPC, you can read data from Mikrotik using SNMP, also other SCADA software can do the some.
Just type in google SNMP OPC server, enable SNMP on Mikrotik and rest is on your SCADA software or OPC server to support read data by SNMP.
The OPC Server for SNMP provides connectivity to SNMP compliant devices such as network switches, UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply) systems, media converters and other network devices. The OPC Server enables full monitoring and control of SNMP-enabled devices from any OPC compliant application such as IT Management Systems and HMIs.
You all ready have everything in Mikrotik just use it.
I'm at Johnson Controls. The old BMS series M3/M5 and/or M3i/M5i series were OPC based. But new BMS line, MSEA isn't :-( There is SNMP support, but it is really complicated :-(
We can use ModBus, LonWorks, BacNet, N2Open ect very easy.

npero

Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:14 pm

You can install OPC server that support SNMP from any manufacture not limited for some software company because OPC is standard, any SCADA system today must support reading information from OPC server.

I personally don't like ModBus, I am Simens guy like ProfiBus, ProfiNet :) there is lot of protocol there that will be need to implement, my opinion only way is to use something is standard and SNMP for this purpose is definitely standard, for example Siemens in there industrial network solution also use SNMP for monitoring purpose.

Zwodka
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:20 pm

You can install OPC server that support SNMP from any manufacture not limited for some software company because OPC is standard, any SCADA system today must support reading information from OPC server.

I personally don't like ModBus, I am Simens guy like ProfiBus, ProfiNet :) there is lot of protocol there that will be need to implement, my opinion only way is to use something is standard and SNMP for this purpose is definitely standard, for example Siemens in there industrial network solution also use SNMP for monitoring purpose.
Ok, I can install an OPC Server into a Windows based PC. But MSEA from Johnson Controls is NAE/NIE based architecture. NAE/NIE is an embedded device (special hardware with a special software). I can't install any Opc Server into the NAE/NIE :-((

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:33 pm

I'm at Johnson Controls. The old BMS series M3/M5 and/or M3i/M5i series were OPC based. But new BMS line, MSEA isn't :-( There is SNMP support, but it is really complicated :-(
We can use ModBus, LonWorks, BacNet, N2Open ect very easy.
Why do you ask MikroTik for a feature when it is Johnson Controls that do not have their act together??
You can go ask any network manufacturer to implement some proprietary management protocol but when they have SNMP available why would they do that?
There are still some things that can be improved in the MikroTik SNMP support, I vote for spending time on *that* rather than a parallel protocol.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:39 pm

I agree.

Zwodka
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:25 pm

Ok, I understand.
Topic is closed.

desertadmin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:53 pm

Modbus on a mikrotik would make the mikrotik even more valuable! Because you could have one MT that does everything and have an RS232 port or use the USB to MODBUS USB and poll data from an MPPT on a solar site then would allow you to do an SNMP poll from a cacti server and you could chart your VOLTS and currents from a solar site with ONE Mikrotik. It is silly to get another device that may cost many times more or use the webmonitor TPDIN things from Tycon that have little wires that are a mess(and I have had a few small fires due to solar over amp and not protecting and thee TPDIN burned out.) when you could plug into an MPPT RJ45 port to USB modbus stick on a Mikrotik. The only one I have seen cost $600 for one more piece of gear to house. If it could all be in one wow that would be something.

-Sincerely,
DesertAdmin

Zwodka
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:17 am

Well, well, after a few years, became ModBus support in RouterOS :-)