Community discussions

MikroTik App

Tvhawk
just joined
Topic Author

Telnet/Terminal/Command Prompt not working

Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:21 am

I've been searching the net multiple times for a fix for this and have been unable to find anything.

Router: Mikrotik RB/1100AHX2 Routerboard RouterOS Level 6
RouterOS is up to date.

Terminal doesn't work via webfig (just loads a blank window & doesn't matter the browser used)
Terminal via winbox and putty will load the banner after a long wait time, but will not give a prompt for commands. A picture of what i'm talking about can be found here: https://1drv.ms/i/s!Av3YcxnbQT5zhssgSddAWRMCKZNxfQ

I've been thru the settings - telnet is enabled.(otherwise i wouldn't even get the banner) I've tried via internal and external network. (remote access is how i generally monitor the router)

I don't have much hair left to pull out at this point.

Any ideas?

IntrusDave
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Telnet/Terminal/Command Prompt not working

Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:48 pm

It normally displays the last few failed logins there. Leads me to think that you have an issue with your logs. Initial thoughts would be you are maxing out the history, which would take a long time for the login to parse through. Or maybe no or corrupt log. I would clear the logs (set the length to 1, then back to 1k). Maybe disable any extras and see what happens.

Tvhawk
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:14 pm

Tried clearing the logs and that didn't work. HOWEVER - i *finally* got the oportunity where a small blip in the internet wouldn't affect anyone so i was finally able to remotely reboot it.

It now works. I know... basic IT step... reboot first, ask questions later. *facepalm*

IntrusDave
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:23 pm

Check this out... I use them at every one of my sites.
https://amzn.com/B00EZWD146
They are a great investment. They can be scripted too, so they can reboot the router if it stops reporting.

Tvhawk
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:06 am

Nice! I've added it to my wishlist for a possibility down the road.

Only problem is that in this instance the router was responding and working completely other than the telnet so a power cycle on dropped ping wouldn't have had any affect.

I do like the capability of being able to program a sequential boot though. That could save a load of headaches.

IntrusDave
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:28 am

you know, this has been bothering me all day. I can't think of any reason for the terminal to stop working. I keep ending up back at power supply. So many of the weird RouterBoard issues that I've seen lately seem to end up being a back power supply. If it happens again, I would certainly look at that as a source of the issue.

Tvhawk
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:49 am

Hmm - yeah, i don't know. This is my first experience with a MikroTIk router and i'm having to pull from knowledge i gained like 10+ years ago. I've been stuck in the low end consumer market hardware. It is nice to be working on a robust system again. lol

I'll keep that in mind for if it does happen again. thanks.

mattswiftfox
just joined

Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:33 pm

Apologies for bringing this ancient thread back from the dead, but I am having this exact issue on an ISP's core router. A reboot will fix it for about 3-4 hours and then I'll lose all terminal access again. We rely on a number of Mikrotik API based scripts to automate essential tasks (captive portal disconnects etc.), so this is causing us a lot of trouble.

Here's the exact symptoms when it happens for us:
- Terminal in Winbox/Webbox is just a blank page with a cursor.
- SSH will eventually (after a minute or so) return the splash page, but won't provide a prompt. It just sits forever after the "/command Use command at the base level" line.
- Mikrotik API will allow a socket connection, but won't provide any response to the login commands.

I found an ancient forum post that suggested generating a supout.rif would restore terminal - but it appears we are unable to do that. It hangs at 3% generated. I also saw the suggestion earlier in this thread to try erasing the log, but that doesn't appear to have any effect either.

The router in question is a CCR1072-1G-8S+, with less than 25% CPU load, 14.4/15.8GB free RAM, 57/128MB free HDD, and 3GBit/s of throughput / 300,000 pps. We are on the latest firmware (v6.42.5). It has about 3200 simple queues, which may be the only unusual config - but the resources all appear to well under control and this config has worked well for us elsewhere.

Any assistance would be very helpful. Thanks!

scob
just joined

Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:11 pm

Hello!
Same situation here;

CCR1072; empty console box in winbox;
Everything worked well for few months, now -
when I try to connect via ssh or telnet to one of my routers, I get mikrotik banner after approx. 1 minute + few lines of instructions/disclaimer, it never gets down to command prompt.

According to above posts, where generating supout.rif solved the problem:
does creation of supout.rif interfere with normal router operation or interrupts routing processes?