MikroTik App

gyropilot
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Frequent Watchdog Reboots

Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:08 am

Greetings all,

I'm brand new to MikroTik products with a new RB952Ui-5ac2nD-US hAP ac lite I just bought.

I'm running with a basic, almost stock, router setup using only the 5GHz WiFi (2.4GHz disabled) and a WAN source over ether1. I only have 1 to 3 wireless clients connected to the router.

I'm using WebFig for router access and upgraded RouterOS to version 6.36.3. The RouterBoard firmware is 3.33 (the latest I think).

Unfortunately, Watchdog seems to be rebooting the router about every 30 minutes to 2 hours. I've searched the forums and found others with similar problems stretching back years, but no common denominator leaped out at me. I'd appreciate any suggestions on what I should try.

I don't know if this problem existed before I upgraded the RouterOS, because I did the update pretty soon after the initial setup. Should I try reflashing with a different software version?

BTW, I'm powering the router with a 12v, 2 amp power supply. There's no USB device attached.

Thanks in advance,

John

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Frequent Watchdog Reboots

Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:59 am

Is the watchdog enabled? Disable it. Try other adapter. How the graph of cpu utilisation looks like?

IntrusDave
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:52 am

If you are using the watchdog, make sure the IP is a LOCAL IP. You don't want the router rebooting unless itself is the problem.
Also, the unit should have come with a 24v 1.2A supply - I've found that the "ac" units have issues with 12v power. I have several hAP ac's that also reboot from the watchdog timeout if they aren't getting enough power.

gyropilot
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:23 pm

Also, the unit should have come with a 24v 1.2A supply - I've found that the "ac" units have issues with 12v power. I have several hAP ac's that also reboot from the watchdog timeout if they aren't getting enough power.
I think you nailed it Dave!

I'm a full-time RV'er and had the router connected to our RV's 12v DC power system. Yesterday, immediately after making the post here in the forum, I went ahead and switched over to using the MikroTik supplied 120v AC to 24v DC adapter to see if that'd make any difference. I'm happy to report it's been almost 16 hours straight and the router hasn't experienced a single reboot since.

Now potentially not being able to operate off our RV's 12v DC power system is a big disappointment since I spend several months each winter camped out in the desert SW living off-grid on solar power. One of the (several) reasons I bought this particular router was because it's SUPPOSED to operate on 8-30V DC. But I'm not ready to give up yet and need to make sure the problem wasn't with my 12v power cord... possibly there could've been an intermittent connection or excessive resistance somewhere.

I'll post an update here later.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Best regards,

John

IntrusDave
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:26 pm

I had the same issue in my wife's SUV. I used putting a RB951 with an LTE modem in it, but it wouldn't stay stable at 12v. (even at 14v while the car is running) My solution was a 12 to 24v step up power supply.

gyropilot
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:30 pm

My solution was a 12 to 24v step up power supply.
I happen to have one of those on hand for use with a printer requiring 24v DC. I'll also give it a try with the RB952 router.

Have a great day,

John

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:29 pm

That should solve the issue and will be more efficient than going through AC and the original adapters.
DC-DC converters are very cheap these days, when ordered in China. a 12V->24DC converter rated at 25 watts
is quite a small module and not expensive.

jaytcsd

Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:22 am

Dave - do the routers reboot on 12 v if the watchdog is off?

IntrusDave
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:28 am

Not as often. I've never had good results with the watchdog pinging anything other than a managed switch on the LAN.

gyropilot
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:40 pm

FOLLOWUP - I've figured out the root cause of the frequent reboot problem...

No surprise but there's absolutely nothing wrong with my MikroTik RB952 hAP ac lite router! The problem turned out to be a faulty user-supplied 12v DC power cord.

You see I thought I was using a simple pass-though cord to deliver power to the router from our RV's ~12v DC electrical system. Instead, that cord contained an inexpensive 2amp 12-24v DC to 12v DC regulator. Apparently something isn't right with the regulator because it causes Watchdog to reboot the router.

Using a true pass-through power cord with no regulator (fused at 3 amps), the router has been running perfectly and continuously for over 24 hours. I also have a Sierra Wireless 313U cellular modem connected to the USB port and it's getting plenty of power and working properly.

Best regards,

John