Community discussions

MikroTik App

AreolaGrande
just joined
Topic Author

Limit data/bandwidth based on MAC address

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:35 am

Hi guys,

I'm sure this has been answered before, but I couldn't find the info. I haven't purchased a router yet (nor have I dealt with MicroTik before), but I'm just doing up a solution for a client. Here's the basic info:

Client has existing corporate wifi system with a wifi controller. We'll create a separate SSID and pass that SSID traffic out one port of the WiFi Controller into one of the ethernet ports of the router. The router will then WAN out to the net. What we want, is for people to authenticate via a passphrase which will be handled by the WiFi Controller (which we can do), but then we want each client (presumably tracked by MAC address), to only be able to upload/download XXGB per day, and also limit their speed to XXmbps. After 24 hours, the their download quota starts again.

It looks like using queues will handle the rate limiting, but I'm not sure about data limits.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Azma

Re: Limit data/bandwidth based on MAC address

Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:11 pm

Hi,
you need script to do this. so the basically, the script need to be run scheduled to check whether the queue bytes assigned for client address is passed a amount of bytes of quota.

AreolaGrande
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:15 am

Thanks for your response.

It's great to know that this router can do it, however I'm concerned that I'm a little out of my depth here. I'm in IT however I feel like this kind of scripting would have me searching for a needle.

haik01

Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:34 pm

Advice:

Buy the cheapest routerboard you can find, and play at home. Take your laptop's LAN card as the MAC to be "limited", and leave the WiFi alone. So connect the laptop by cable, disbale wifi, and start downloading movies or whatever. See if it works.

Then switch to WiFi, and download again. See if you now have unlimited data or speed etc....

That way you can test it in a controlled situation, without disturbing live networks.