Community discussions

MikroTik App

tasn
just joined
Topic Author

Advice on routers

Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:23 am

Hello,

I need a router for a hotel which is going to serve maximum 400 users. i am between RB3011UiAS-RM and CCR1009-8G-1S-1S+. Feel free to suggest another device...

I need to have a hotspot for the users accessing the internet and connect this router with wifi access points.
The internet connection will be 3-4 vdsl (50/5)

So my questions are :
1)Should i go for the CCR or the RB will do the job?
2)Does RB3011 still not support User manager?
3)Do i have to use another device for routing and managing the internet traffic and another managing the hotspot?
4)Please suggest access points that will be installed all over the place(I think cAP would be a good idea)

Thank you

raymondr15
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Advice on routers

Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:21 pm

Hello,

I need a router for a hotel which is going to serve maximum 400 users. i am between RB3011UiAS-RM and CCR1009-8G-1S-1S+. Feel free to suggest another device...

I need to have a hotspot for the users accessing the internet and connect this router with wifi access points.
The internet connection will be 3-4 vdsl (50/5)

So my questions are :
1)Should i go for the CCR or the RB will do the job?
2)Does RB3011 still not support User manager?
3)Do i have to use another device for routing and managing the internet traffic and another managing the hotspot?
4)Please suggest access points that will be installed all over the place(I think cAP would be a good idea)

Thank you
Hi,
I would rather recommend the CCR.

I'm not sure if the RB3011 supports UM or not, you will use the same router for managing and setup hotspot, the CCR is powerful enough, it can route about 11.8Gbps.
It's better to use the CCR as firewall filters and queues won't degrade performance as you won't be passing 11.8Gbps through the router.

I would rather you use the https://routerboard.com/RBwAPG-5HacT2HnD as access points as it is dual 2.4 and 5Ghz AC wifi and setup cAP.

tasn
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:19 am

I was pretty much persuaded for the CCR.

As for the wap which is dual 2.4 and 5Ghz what exactly does this mean? I can choose which frequency i want to use or can i use both simultaneously?

tasn
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:30 am

As for the wap which is dual 2.4 and 5Ghz what exactly does this mean? I can choose which frequency i want to use or can i use both simultaneously?
I just read it says simultaneously.

paulct

Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:28 am

Get the CCR, the arm architecture does not support UM yet.

Regarding the AP's - your client will only connect on one band at a time, but obliviously from the AP side both are running. e.g 2.4Ghz 10 clients, 5.8ghz 5 clients connected.

haik01

Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:32 am

Another advice:

Put an extra AP (same model as in the hotel) in the "server room", or somewhere in the basement.... That device will be then the "test" AP for the rest of the network. If there is a new update for Router OS, first upgrade this AP, see how it works for a couple of days, test it, and then on early Sunday morning (when the load on the network is minimal), upgrade the rest of the hotel, one by one.

Also, please SAVE old version of Router OS, on a USB key. You might need to downgrade after a failed update. So you will need to old files.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:05 am

Also, please SAVE old version of Router OS, on a USB key. You might need to downgrade after a failed update. So you will need to old files.
Unlike some other manufacturers, MikroTik offer old versions on the download website. As long as you still have internet access, you should be able to download them when required.

haik01

Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:22 am

And sometime you do not have internet because of a "bricked" router, or a router which continues to boot etc.... That is why it is "handy" to keep it offline.

But you are correct, you can find them on the webpage.

tasn
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:08 pm

Thank you all for the advice. This is pretty clear to me.

Another question is if anyone has some statistics, how many wireless users can this specific ap(wap ac) handle well.

haik01

Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:54 pm

Define "well"....

If they are all idle, and just "connected" then no problem 50-100 users. But if they all start multiple downloads, YouTube at high resolution, newsgroup download movies etc... then it is a different situation.

also it depends if it is a "free internet service" or a paid service with voucher / code purchase..... (my advice: make internet free. It is like water, nowadays a necessity). And besides, if you offer paid internet, the backbone should be good (I mean, for example 1:10 or less overbooking). Arrange that first with your ISP.

tasn
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:50 pm

The internet service will be free for as long as the client stays at the hotel. I agree with you that internet is like water.

"Well" is a situation where mainly smartphones and laptops connect(most of them idling) but when they want to read their email-facebook-news the service is there.

The internet will be 4 vdsl (4x50Mbps) so i assume this will be enough.

Movies, torrents etc will be restricted where is possible.

Anyway i got my answer thanks again.