Community discussions

MikroTik App

agfjpcs
Topic Author

Shared/Common address list for WinBox?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:16 am

Aside from manually exporting/importing address lists in WinBox (i'm talking about the managed list showing all saved routers before you connect to one)
Is there a way to automate the process so that all our technicians can add new clients and they'll show up on everyone elses winbox session when its opened.
Ideally have all the session data stored in a shared location such as a sharepoint folder, or even a mapped network drive

tarikin

Re: Shared/Common address list for WinBox?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:36 am

Maybe some kind of external scp mass uploading task to all your Tiks by cron (from Linux for example) and scheduling list imports on each Tik from uploaded file?

agfjpcs
Topic Author

Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:53 am

Where does WinBox store the list of remembered addresses though? If I can simply place that file in a shared location and point WinBox to it, thatll work
Or if I cant choose the location I could use a symbolic link in a pinch. At least that way everyone accesses the same file (which hopefully doesn't remain read-only while sessions are open)

Or..... does it store them in the registry? In which case, major bummer dude

Rudios
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:13 am

I just tested and it seems that the file is just saved next to the winbox executable file.
Maybe that is because I have saved it once this way and that Winbox keeps it like that and that it is not the default behaviour, but hey, if I can, you probably can :)

Rethinking it I guess it can be saved anywhere. It will be picked up from the location it is saved latest.
Last edited by Rudios on Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

agfjpcs
Topic Author

Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:17 am

I don't think so because I can move the winbox executable file around and it still sees the list of addresses

agfjpcs
Topic Author

Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:49 am

I'm going to bump this because its quite annoying and inefficient, we move around and are using different computers. Sometimes our office PC, sometimes laptops, sometimes terminal sessions. None of them are synchronized and we have multiple staff constantly asking "What's the password for XYZ". We do have a database for access details but it's quite inefficient

We really need a way to just open WinBox and have it access the most up-to-date list of saved routers to quickly get management, without having to spend 5 minutes pulling up client details whenever we move to another PC or have another tech look into an issue

If a dev can post and tell us exactly where the file is (or folder) that stores saved WinBox sessions then its easy enough to just create a symbolic link pointing to OneDrive, DropBox or a mapped network drive to download the most up to date session list automatically

Kioshiro
just joined

Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:10 pm

I AM also interested in that features.

I have found where the address file is located, but I have no idea on how I can use some sort of link between user.

C:\Users\%USER%\AppData\Roaming\Mikrotik\Winbox

Anyone has some idea ?

Thank you !

MarkLFT
just joined

Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:59 pm

Did anyone find a way to do this? I also would like a shared address list. Ideally in cloud storage so I can pick it up form my laptop when on the road.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:16 pm

in Winbox loader, click Tools and "Move sessions folder". Put it in Dropbox for example. Then set the same on other Winbox

mark73
just joined

Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:22 pm

in Winbox loader, click Tools and "Move sessions folder". Put it in Dropbox for example. Then set the same on other Winbox
Just tried that - but it doesn't seem to work. It seems to move "session files" but somehow not the address book.

soonwai
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:29 pm

Just tried that - but it doesn't seem to work. It seems to move "session files" but somehow not the address book.
Move addresses.cdb (I forgot what its original location is) to a shared folder. I have mine in Dropbox. In Winbox, File/Open addresses.cdb. Winbox will remember the last cdb file opened.

I also put my sessions folder in Dropbox as explained above.

biller
just joined

Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:34 pm

It works fine on a Windows VM guest, but I can't manage it to work on Linux Mint via WinBox/Wine.
I move the session folder to the desired folder on a NAS and I also move and open the .cdb in the same folder, but when I try to add an IP to an existing database it replies "ERROR:Could not save configuration".

Do you have any idea on how to make it work? It would make my life so much easier.

Thanks in advance.

JAza

Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:16 am

Trust all your routers' addresses and passwords to Dropbox? I think I'll pass...

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:07 pm

The original question was about that. It's up to you to ignore this thread. Plus, there are plenty of other centrally shared file storage solutions. OwnCloud lives in the LAN, for example.

jeffcrews
just joined

Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:53 pm

I moved my sessions folder to a shared folder. My winbox now uses the shared folder for sessions. However the sessions are a list of IP addresses only with no note like we have in the "managed" address list.

I do not understand the difference between a session and my list of "managed addresses"

I am hoping to by able to share my list of managed addresses, user, password and the note field which we use to identify that the address is used for.

I know we can export the address list to a shared drive and manually import from the shared drive, however this creates duplicates as others import and export their entries.

Or if others have a better way of managing these, please share.

I see some people building tools to call winbox via command line from a list of addresses, usernames and passwords

Maybe I just need to switch to RADIUS authentication and simply use webfig and make a list of all managed addresses in my own HTML pages to share this with my team if winbox is not able to save the managed address list to a shared folder.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:17 pm

Add the feature to capsman swiss army knife functionality.
Capsman for wifi and winbox LOL

lukkes
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:15 am

In my mac I use winbox4mac, a Bottled version, I've created a mikrotik folder in my dropbox, then search for the working folder of winbox, then created a SYMLINK to the dropbox folder, that works perfectly, in my office computer, laptop and home one. Same thing in Windows, the working directory is located in C:\Users\%USER%\AppData\Roaming\Mikrotik\Winbox, just point a Symlink to dropbox\Mikrotik\Winbox, and ready, all session and addresses will be shared in all devices, any change is reflected to all devices too