Community discussions

avenn
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

wAP AC Performance Results

Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:15 pm

Hi All,

We are looking at using wAP AC for upcoming projects in education/schools.

At the speed testing/messing stage and we thought we would share speed results so far. What do you think? Slower than we expected. We have had in the past mikrotik to mikrotik speeds at 515Mbps. These results are no where near.

default config then bridge all ports, disable 2.4, disable uneeded packages (mpls etc), no firewall filters, change wireless as per test details, WPA2 enabled

Speed improvement suggestions welcome.

Ran long test - 2000 secs and temp hit 65 C - seems high?

All details such as tests, ROS ver etc on test pic

First of all its not a lab enviroment - in our office - see picture.

freq scan - clean

results in pic attached.

Client - USB3 TP Link T4UH
AP - wAP G-5HacT2HnD

Constructive comments welcome.

Kind Regards

Aidan Venn & Scott Normanton
wireless speed tests.png
wireless speedtest setup pic.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MTCRE - MTCNA - MTCTCE

Quindor

Re: wAP AC Performance Results

Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:57 pm

I think your results are actually ok.

You seem to be testing with the default window size, try testing with a window size of 1MB (-w 1MB). Also be sure to test both upload & download (-R) to see if it's maybe only one way. To really stress the link and see what it can do throw in a "-P 8" to run 8 parallel streams combined with the window size.

Testing with server side (iperf3 -s) and client side (iperf3 -c ip.ip.ip.ip -R -w 1MB -P12) I just hit 402Mbit download.The upload (without -R) I got 340Mbit. This is with two wAP AC's connected together. One as a station bridge and the other as a station pseudobridge. The way they are facing each other isn't perfect, but not bad either.

Try the other settings to stress the link a bit harder. I think especially the window size can do some good. While copying and using a modern Windows version, Windows can easily select 4MB or even 16MB if both sides support it.

Things to note:
- Although the card you are using is listed as AC1300, it's actually a 2 chain card, not 3 chain, they just added up 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz together as marketing
- Try using the latest RC version, it has some newer wireless drivers (including important fixes for 2.4Ghz)
http://www.campzone.nl World's Largest Outdoor LANParty, http://intermit.tech Intermittend Technology blog, My blog about the ESP8266, IP Camera's and other tech related subjects!

avenn
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: wAP AC Performance Results

Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:10 am

Thanks Quindor, will have a play using your suggestions on thursday and report back
MTCRE - MTCNA - MTCTCE