Community discussions

MikroTik App

lamclennan
just joined
Topic Author

Ability to set ND and DHCP options with IPv6

Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:18 am

Ideally, it would be nice to be able to specify the DNS servers in DHCPv6 options as Windows does not support ND RDNSS.

Also with IPv6 ND, I would like to be able to manually configure the DNS servers to advertise. For example as it stands it will not use the RouterOS cache only the servers it caches.

IPv6 ND Bug: I've removed the DNS servers from the IP DNS config but it's still advertising the old IPv6 servers instead of the new one. I've rebooted to no avail also when I export the config there is no mention of them. If I delete the ND config and recreate they're still there.

To get windows and Android over the line you need to be able to issue the DNS server by DHCP options and ND in an IPv6 only environment. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... ng_systems

Currently, I'm issuing an IPv4 IP address with the DNS information due to IPv6ND not being able to advertise the router dns server and DHCPv6 not being able to be configured with a DNS server for Windows clients.

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Ability to set ND and DHCP options with IPv6

Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:20 am

generally pressing on insisting complete IPv6 implementation(inlcuding consistent set of NDP features, yes)from Microsoft was generally better idea in long-term, than picking random stup-hotfix sub-standard workarounds/overrides.
but frankly - there wasn't really ANY platform with COMPLETE, flawless IPv6 implementation, not just on L2 level. and NDP anyway "broken by design" and insecure by both idea and especially implementation, despite im big fan of CGA-based L2, like SEND and alikes(including NDP and other pre-quels)its anyway wouldn't be relevant and usable anyway. yet. thats mostly 2 things that slow IPv6 adoption, in short.

mbeauverd
just joined

Re: Ability to set ND and DHCP options with IPv6

Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:57 pm

Ideally, it would be nice to be able to specify the DNS servers in DHCPv6 options as Windows does not support ND RDNSS.
Also with IPv6 ND, I would like to be able to manually configure the DNS servers to advertise. For example as it stands it will not use the RouterOS cache only the servers it caches.
for Windows clients.
+1