Community discussions

manuzoli
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

DFS Mode v6.38

Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:58 pm

Hi,
Thanks in advance for helping me with my problem.
I run quite a big wireless network in a rural area connecting more that 120 houses with wireless links. All of the devices are from Mikrotik and most are SXT. We switched to Mikrotik five years ago and we have got something about 200 devices up and running. Everything worked fine until we ordered our last patch of SXT devices.
The last devices shipped with Firmware 6.38 and DFS mode seems to be hard coded into the software. This is quite a bummer as DFS mode set to on breaks my network. SXT links that worked like a charm before the update aren't able to get a registration.

My questions are the following:
- Is there any way to overrule the DFS settings?
- If not: Is there any way to downgrade to a Version that does allow changing DFS mode?
- Is there a country where DFS is disabled (or can i do that in superchannel)

Thank you very much in advance.
I am quite desperate at the moment and please don't force me to switch Ubiquity.

MartijnVdS
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: DFS Mode v6.38

Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:50 pm

My questions are the following:
- Is there any way to overrule the DFS settings?
- If not: Is there any way to downgrade to a Version that does allow changing DFS mode?
- Is there a country where DFS is disabled (or can i do that in superchannel)
The official way to override DFS is to use "superchannel" mode. But it's not recommended to do this unless you REALLY know what you're doing, as you will be violating local regulations concerning interference with radar systems if you don't use it (which could lead to fines or worse, depending on where you are).

If you think DFS is overly sensitive for you, please contact support@mikrotik.com. They've said they want to work on fixing DFS (sensitivity) bugs.

IntrusDave
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:01 am

Older hardware and current "international" hardware can be manually configured with "super channel"
If I understand correctly, any "new" units sold are either US or International - as such, you can not override the US version with super channel. And all wireless hardware sold in the US must comply with the new regulations requiring DFS to be enabled.
David Joyce
Network & Security Engineer
Intrus Technologies, LLC.
Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

richinuk
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:41 am

Did you see this thread: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... 00#p559990

Apparently there's a 10 minute stand-down when first booting a device using DFS frequencies. Possibly this is why you are not seeing any association?

Rich

Ivoshiee

Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:21 am

I wonder if that 10 minute standoff can or how be overcome? Is there a way to let the AP to select next channel from pool of desired channels or something similar?

IntrusDave
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:01 am

I have not seen any 10 minute delay. I just installed two new LHG 5's with 6.37.1. The "Detecting Radar" lasts about 30 seconds.
David Joyce
Network & Security Engineer
Intrus Technologies, LLC.
Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:13 pm

It depends on local regulations and the frequency selected. This behavior made me to leave these frequencies even I am sure that my devices do not influence weather radars. It's very big mistake that this scan is performed everytime the wlan goes up.