MikroTik App

Do you need VPN over IPv6?

Yes, I'm just waiting for!
4 (80%)
Hard to say but better let it be there
1 (20%)
No, see no use for IPv6 for VPN
No votes
No, IPv6 is hard to configure and may bring more security risks so I disable it even if it is there so don't care for VPN over IPv6
No votes

Total votes: 5

upower3
Topic Author

IPv6 to IPv6 VPN can't be set?

Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:23 pm

As IPv6 spreads more and more over the world it is quite interesting question if we can use it to establish encrypted links over public internet.

So I took two RouterBoards 2011 (both of 6.37.1), set up IPv6 on them (I used tunnelbroker.net's IPv6 addresses for the test), and tried to set up several types of VPN links in between them. No luck. Every time I tried to establish the VPN I got error that given string (which was IPv6 address of the remote RB) is not ok to be VPN endpoint. That is, not even a test connection was made, as ROS denied IPv6 addresses at all. May I blame my dumpy head or hands but looks like noone care for this use case for IPv6.

So I want to ask what's plans on supporting IPv6 for anything generally useful like VPN, and maybe it is possible to set up VPN somehow (maybe in CLI)?

Saying for myself I'd prefer p2p VPN (like PPTP, L2TP, OVPN, SSTP) since it is very useful to connect "road warrior"-type users to office network.

mbeauverd
just joined

Re: IPv6 to IPv6 VPN can't be set?

Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:53 am

I did make IPSEC IPv6 VPN using Zywall, it is working great.

But look like IPSEC IPv6 VPN work better (or only maybe) using IKEv2 ! Wich is not supported yet on Mikrotik :(