MikroTik App

Zapnologica
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Managing Appartment Block Internet

Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:07 pm

Good day,

I am looking for a system to help me effectively manage a shared fibre line in an apartment block of 20 - 30 flats.

The idea is to run Cat5e Ethernet cable to each apartment to a central network point. Then run a 30 - 50 Mbps fibre line to that cabinet and effectively share it to each unit.

We will then charge each tenant a fixed fee for the speed they want ie 10M or 20M.

However my issue comes down to the way in which I can limit the bandwidth for each unit. The easiest way I can think of would be to just limit each Ethernet port on a managed switch according to that units speed. But I am not sure which product can do this best.

I was thinking the RB9412nD hAP lite SOHO 2GHz WiFi Router would be ideal to put in each flat / unit. However I would want to control the data throttling on a central level. Not on each device. They would simply act as a SOHO wan wifi router. I also want to work if they have some dlink or netgear already lying around.

A wireless solution would be cheaper than running cable to each unit. However I don't know how one would differentiate which users are linked to which account. And I cant have 50 SSIDs on an AP. (Not sure if capman could solve this issue)

The key thing here is that it needs to be simple, cost effective and centrally managed. If a unit wants to upgrade I just login, and change their speed. Or turn them off etc.

(Im thinking maybe UserManager with PPPoE accounts could work) ?

The upstream fibre provider implements a leaking bucket throttling mechanism. So with regards to my bandwidth management, I cant saturate my line. I would ideally want it to sit on a max of 50% continuous usage.

Any advice or direction etc would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Zapnologica on Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mazyaar

Re: Managing Appartment Block Internet

Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:51 pm

1. You can limit bandwidth for each unit when use pppoe server and client for router and users.
2.Cisco manage switch like Cisco switch 2960
3.how many RB942 do you want use in your project if you wanna use more than 2 RB, connect them with cable together and connect to core router. Bridge all router and use one ssid to every routers and do config in central router
But you must know that if number of wireless users becomes increases your RB941 wireless card not correctly work. So buy a high cpu ROUTER for configuration and setting for use core router and for client use devices with high performance wireless cards and cpu.
My idea is that :
Buy this device:
1- one Router 2011 or 1100 mikrotik
2- AP wireless device any number you need
3. Cable cat6
4.switch every number you nedd

Connect the fibre to your core router then connect the switches to router with cable and connect the APs to your switch, bridge the Aps and get the same SSID for all of them
In router run a pppoe server and make a account for client or you can other config that you like for your network
You can get help from wiki.mikrotik.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rudios
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:52 pm

I am not really into the specific performance differences between various MikroTik models, but I would go for a central MikroTik device to handle all the outgoing traffic and bandwith throttling.
Maybe it is worth the effort of putting up dedicated IP segments between the central router and each appartment device and let each appartment device masquerade the outgoing traffic.
In that case, all the appartment configs can be the same, except for the IP address towards the central router.
I guess haveing 1 single souce IP per appartment could also be handy for building queues.

Zapnologica
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:11 pm

Connect the fibre to your core router then connect the switches to router with cable and connect the APs to your switch, bridge the Aps and get the same SSID for all of them
In router run a pppoe server and make a account for client or you can other config that you like for your network
My only issue with this is each laptop, cellphone printer etc is gonna have to dial a PPPoE Client.

Mazyaar

Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:14 pm

If run hotspot you can use one account for all of them or separate every device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flynno
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:45 pm

My only issue with this is each laptop, cellphone printer etc is gonna have to dial a PPPoE Client.
Make the pppoe-client dial out on the AP / Router in the apartment with seperate ssid for that apartment i.e ssid Apartment1

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:40 pm

The easiest way would be to break each flat onto its own dedicated LAN segment from your central router.
(172.16.1.0/24, 172.16.2.0/24, 172.16.3.0/24, etc)

Then you can easily define one simple queue for each flat - set queue1 to have target=172.16.1.0/24, and queue2's target=172.16.2.0/24, etc.

I recommend using 172.16.x.x as your delivery IP ranges because typical home routers will use 192.168.x.x by default, and there is less chance that your IP range will interfere with the users' internal IP addressing. (I assume that the end users will be connecting their own routers)

Or, if you're giving public IP addresses, then you can use /32 assignments.... assume 192.0.2.32/27 is your public IP range for the flats.
Each flat's connection interface should get an IP assigned to it statically like this:
/ip address add interface=flat1 address=192.0.2.33 network=192.0.2.34
/ip address add interface=flat2 address=192.0.2.33 network=192.0.2.35
etc.
Note that the customer's IP address is specified as the NETWORK address.
Customers would configure their router as 192.0.2.35/27 with default gateway = 192.0.2.33

The queues would then use these public IP addresses as their targets.