Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mikrotik Poor Bandwidth Throughput Problem Help

Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:23 pm

Hello There! I have Mikrotik based PTP link between RB344ah as an AP and Groove 52HPn acts as client with simple bridging between two sites having distance 2.5km. I am using Nstreme wireless protocol both side. But when doing Bandwidth test for the link's maximum throughput between the sites its giving very poor bandwidth throughput in kbps range instead of expecting 100Mbps. Where is the problem in the network. Any valuable help will be appreciated to fix this issue. Attached are the screen shot of winbox for both sides PTP MT routers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mikrotik Poor Bandwidth Throughput Problem Help

Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:27 pm

Signal tab values from both sides? Why you think that 802.11a at 20MHz can provide 100mbits throughput?

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:51 pm

Signal tab values from both sides? Why you think that 802.11a at 20MHz can provide 100mbits throughput?
Hello Jarda! Good to see you here. Please have the signal tab values for both ends. 10.1.0.215 is AP (RB433AH) and 10.1.0.216 is client (Groove). Actually i am not sure about 100mbits for this link with selecting Nstreme both ends, even also want to know what would be the maximum throughput could go for this link. Sorry for the exact range but its approx. 4-5km distance. Thanks for keep supporting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

paulct

Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:27 pm

Hello Jarda! Good to see you here. Please have the signal tab values for both ends. 10.1.0.215 is AP (RB433AH) and 10.1.0.216 is client (Groove). Actually i am not sure about 100mbits for this link with selecting Nstreme both ends, even also want to know what would be the maximum throughput could go for this link. Sorry for the exact range but its approx. 4-5km distance. Thanks for keep supporting.
Your one chain is WAY out. Might be a faulty SMA pigtail, or wireless card, or faulty connector on the dish. - or just plain alignment. If you do not fix that - your speeds will not improve.

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:43 pm

Your one chain is WAY out. Might be a faulty SMA pigtail, or wireless card, or faulty connector on the dish. - or just plain alignment. If you do not fix that - your speeds will not improve.
Hello Paulct! Thanks for your support. On Groove everything is okay i have check for the wireless setting and on RB433AH, AP side i have been checked with the pci card and connected pigtail and antenna cabling it also seems good. which chain you are mentioning please. Thanks.

paulct

Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:10 pm

Hello Paulct! Thanks for your support. On Groove everything is okay i have check for the wireless setting and on RB433AH, AP side i have been checked with the pci card and connected pigtail and antenna cabling it also seems good. which chain you are mentioning please. Thanks.
Ch0 -63/-95 this should be as low as possible and very similar, e.g -55/-55 or -63/-63. It shows there is something wrong with the hardware or alignment. I am not involved much in wireless anymore - but it seems one unit is dual chain and the other not.

che
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:16 pm

Change channel width to 40Mhz and band to 5GHz-N (if your card in RB433 supports it). Since you run single polarisation device (Groove) with 5GHz-A and 20MHz channel width you can expect maximum ~35-40Mbps real throughput with your current settings.

Also, something else is wrong with your setup, that bandwidth test results indicate you are getting nowhere near calculated wireless throughput (on signal page).

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:58 pm

Ch0 -63/-95 this should be as low as possible and very similar, e.g -55/-55 or -63/-63. It shows there is something wrong with the hardware or alignment. I am not involved much in wireless anymore - but it seems one unit is dual chain and the other not.
Thanks for keep supporting. Okay! i'll check with this.

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:03 pm

Change channel width to 40Mhz and band to 5GHz-N (if your card in RB433 supports it). Since you run single polarisation device (Groove) with 5GHz-A and 20MHz channel width you can expect maximum ~35-40Mbps real throughput with your current settings.

Also, something else is wrong with your setup, that bandwidth test results indicate you are getting nowhere near calculated wireless throughput (on signal page).
Hello Che! Thanks for your support. okay let me check with the setup once again and get back. Thanks.

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:20 pm

Hello there! i have check with the wireless settings and perform a bandwidth test on client end at Groove. When select TX (Send) its showing bandwidth throughput near 14-15mbit, But at RX (receive) its still showing very poor throughput about 36kbit. Please have a look at the wireless setting if there there is something wrong. And yes there is one thing i would like to mention that at AP (RB433AH) i am using a dual band 802.11 a/b/g Engenius radio card. Thank you for keep supporting.

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:21 pm

Also. please have these wireless settings. Thanks.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:40 am

As groove is single chain n radio, set the other end to use rx and tx on the one single chain only. Make sure you have properly aimed antennas and correctly polarised. Then make sure by spectral scan on both ends that you can select the best frequency range. Use plain 802.11n first and finetune the tx power on both sides. Let it be stabilised for a minute and pass the traffic through. At least 5mbits both ways simultaneously and see the signals and ccq. If it is good, switch to 40mhz and do the test again.

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:33 pm

As groove is single chain n radio, set the other end to use rx and tx on the one single chain only. Make sure you have properly aimed antennas and correctly polarised. Then make sure by spectral scan on both ends that you can select the best frequency range. Use plain 802.11n first and finetune the tx power on both sides. Let it be stabilised for a minute and pass the traffic through. At least 5mbits both ways simultaneously and see the signals and ccq. If it is good, switch to 40mhz and do the test again.
Hello Jarda! Thanks for keep supporting me. okay! i have double check antenna aiming and its polarity everything is okay. But i am not sure about the spectral scan actually i come to know that Mikrotik spectral scan doesn't support 5Ghz range its only available for 2.4 Ghz range and my link works at 5Ghz. Any help with spectral scan please to select the best frequency for this link. Thanks.

JB172

Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:09 pm

Check this: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Spectral_scan
Sectral Scan also supports 5GHz

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:59 pm

Check this: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Spectral_scan
Sectral Scan also supports 5GHz
Hello JB172! Thanks for providing supporting with the 5GHz spectral scan.

JB172

Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:32 pm

You are welcome !

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:27 am

Yep. Spectral scan definitely works on groove at 5ghz. What are your actual achievements?

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:13 am

Hello There! i am really so sorry for the delayed reply as was running a bit quite busy and can't get back to all of you out there supporting me with Mikrotik. Update you soon with the bandwidth improvement status.Have a good day. Thanks once again keep supporting me.

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:12 pm

Hello jarda! today i have tested the and configure the link once again to improve the bandwidth data rate as per your suggestion and close the rx/tx chain1 on RB433ah and the very next time link gets disconnected from remote top hill site AP and need to have travel to that remote top hill AP site to activate the link again. Why this happened there is chain0 rx/tx activated on Groove and i kept rx/tx active on AP side also, only deactivated the rx/tx for chain1. Any further assistance will be appreciated. Thanks for keep supporting.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:17 pm

Maybe you have deactivated the wrong chain? Depends how and to what chain the antenna is connected...

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:25 pm

Maybe you have deactivated the wrong chain? Depends how and to what chain the antenna is connected...
Hello jarda! thanks for keep responding i thought same that it could be i have been deactivated the wrong chain, but when check at AP site with deactivating with chain0 and keep activating link didn't activated and when keep activated both chains i get link connected to station again.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:16 pm

That's strange. Maybe some bug that could be resolved by reboot after the chain change? I don't know,just thinking about it.

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:31 pm

That's strange. Maybe some bug that could be resolved by reboot after the chain change? I don't know,just thinking about it.
Okay! Thanks for keep supporting with your valuable assistance. i'll check once gain by rebooting and work with the chain 0 and chain 1 activation and deactivation process. Thanks.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:46 pm

While both chains are still active, check which one is reporting signal levels and disable the second one.

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:59 pm

Hello There! At last i have took the AP SITE RB433AH back to NOC and did the bench testing with the same RB433AH with new cable and antenna to linked Groove at few meters apart at NOC site. Now both chains on MT miniPci card R52n-M on RB433AH working properly one by one with Groove. Chain0 gives good response with chain0 at Groove and chain1 also connect with Groove's chain0 when chain0 off at R52n-M and still works. But i still found the difference of -10dBm while testing with chain0 Tx/Rx signals in the range -56/-46dBm, where as they must be approximately within same ranges at both ends. Or are they right to tolerable at these Tx/Rx levels at both ends? Attached are the signal and btest responses for this bench testing at my NOC. Thanks for keep supporting.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:29 pm

If you have the same antennas with the same orientation on both chains, try to swap the connectors attached to the card to see whether the difference is made by the pigtail and antenna system or by the card itself.

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:10 pm

If you have the same antennas with the same orientation on both chains, try to swap the connectors attached to the card to see whether the difference is made by the pigtail and antenna system or by the card itself.
Hello Jarda ! Thanks for keep supporting. Actually i have both ends single chain antennas only. On Groove client end i have 27dBi grid and on rb433ah AP end 15dBi patch antenna. I have tried to test link by swapping pigtail connectors connecting at chains connectors on R52n-M alternatively, but not much difference in TX/Rx signal levels, but what happened there is only Tx signal level and Rx signal missing. Why this is missing, due to miss match in polarity in signal polarization when activated chain1 connector to link at other side Groove chain0 with different polarity? but btest is still working there.

But when i test with the same setup installing Grooves (with chain0) using nv2 protocol at both ends i got the these results shown in the attachment. Are these test acceptable for this kind of link with the setup with the same chains polarity matching at both ends or needs more improvement if any.

Thanks for keep supporting.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:34 pm

It is very hard to guess not having the devices on my desk and not knowing everything what happens around while testing. You should make test with only one chain, second disabled. Then swap the pigtail and disable the first chain doing the same test on the second chain. All other things untouched. Maybe one chain is bad...