Community discussions

MikroTik App

Elektrik
just joined
Topic Author

NTFS support

Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:07 am

Hello,

I am managing to set up an backup drive to mikrotik router (RB951-2HnD) and an issue appeared. I am not sure why the only accepted filesystems are fat32 and ext3. Both of those are not acceptable: fat32 does not support files larger than 4gb, which would cause millions of files to be created (backups should be split in ~4gb files), however fat32 may be read by windows system; ext3 does not have issue with size cap, but it cannot be read by windows PC, which tends to even bigger issues when read is neccessary.

I would like to request NTFS support to be implemented, if possible.
Thanks.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: NTFS support

Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:05 am

You can use ftp access, but note that ros is not network storage system. Better to use something like that.

Elektrik
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:06 pm

Thank you for your reply.

Currently SMB service if used for uploading the files (it may be FTP, doesn't matter actually). It works fine, however restoring big backup file takes ages (100+gb file), and just disconnecting the drive and accessing the file directly on windows PC is not available, because it does not support ext3.

I understand routeros is not designed to work as a backup system, but it does actually well. The only downside is obsolete/incompatible file systems support.

Thanks.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:30 pm

It does, but the reason is not to provide general storage server functions to other clients, but to provide ability to transfer files for ros management purposes. For this purpose it is enough.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:38 am

I don't think MikroTik added SMB just as another way to access files for management purposes.
..., and just disconnecting the drive and accessing the file directly on windows PC is not available, because it does not support ext3.
Not by default, but there are both filesystem drivers and other ways to access ext partitions even without drivers (e.g. Total Commander has more than one plugin to access ext partitions).

kapi2454

Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:56 pm

Hi, did you find a solution?
I shared some files too, I need that support ntfs :)

chib777
just joined

Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:02 pm

I do not understand how in 2018 the router can be without the support of ntfs, ext 4 etc ... router os are professional devices, but do not have the functionality of Chinese routers for $ 10.
I purchased mikrotik hAP AC2 and is very unhappy, an excellent compact quality router for travel that can not be connected to hdd / ssd and you can not watch movies on ftp / smb. Now the functionality of this function is zero, it is on paper but in fact there is not.

ziegenberg
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:11 pm

Hi!
I do not understand how in 2018 the router can be without the support of ntfs, ext 4 etc ... router os are professional devices, but do not have the functionality of Chinese routers for $ 10.
I purchased mikrotik hAP AC2 and is very unhappy, an excellent compact quality router for travel that can not be connected to hdd / ssd and you can not watch movies on ftp / smb. Now the functionality of this function is zero, it is on paper but in fact there is not.
The hAPs are designed as Access Points, not as a NAS with wireless features.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:13 pm

It doesn't really matter what they are designed for (for most people, hAPs are way overpowered for simple AP). But even if you look at something that's supposed to be home router (RB2011 perhaps), it's still the same.

MikroTik tried to expand to home market, which was great, because so many home routers are full of nonsense limitations. It's not uncommon to buy $300+ router only to find out that manufacturer treats something basic like VLANs as "enterprise" feature and doesn't support it on home devices. You won't find limits like that in MikroTik devices, even $20 hAP mini offers full configuration options. Plus there are long-term software updates, which is also not something you can rely on with other home routers. Most users will ignore them anyway, but at least they have a choice. Good so far.

But instead of adding more interesting features for home users and creating ultimate home router, they just stopped. They added SMB, so you can use the router as simple NAS, but it's incomplete. People expect more, NTFS, DLNA, ... because competition has it. Reading something like that, enterprise users are probably close to having a stroke, but it would make sense to include such stuff (as separate package of course, made by different team of developers than those working on new routing or something).

DummyPLUG
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:01 pm

It doesn't really matter what they are designed for (for most people, hAPs are way overpowered for simple AP). But even if you look at something that's supposed to be home router (RB2011 perhaps), it's still the same.

MikroTik tried to expand to home market, which was great, because so many home routers are full of nonsense limitations. It's not uncommon to buy $300+ router only to find out that manufacturer treats something basic like VLANs as "enterprise" feature and doesn't support it on home devices. You won't find limits like that in MikroTik devices, even $20 hAP mini offers full configuration options. Plus there are long-term software updates, which is also not something you can rely on with other home routers. Most users will ignore them anyway, but at least they have a choice. Good so far.

But instead of adding more interesting features for home users and creating ultimate home router, they just stopped. They added SMB, so you can use the router as simple NAS, but it's incomplete. People expect more, NTFS, DLNA, ... because competition has it. Reading something like that, enterprise users are probably close to having a stroke, but it would make sense to include such stuff (as separate package of course, made by different team of developers than those working on new routing or something).
*RouterOS, not Freenas. RouterOS still lack many feature as a core router and we ask for non related features?

DummyPLUG
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:03 pm

May be I should ask why our nexus can't install windows.

chib777
just joined

Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:07 pm

Thanks for the support ... If mikrotik wants to evolve, I'm sure that adding the ntfs function and supporting disks up to 4 tb, you can in any update and the router will become relevant for a large number of people. At the moment there is no analog hAP ac2 for compactness and quality of the product itself. Before that I used Xiaomi mi mini with Padavan firmware, but it's larger and has external antennas, but it can connect 2 x 4 tb hdd 2.5 "via hub and work through FTP and SMB. If mikrotik wants to attract customers, you need to update the firmware with normal support for ftp, smb, ntfs and ext4. The router is positioned for small offices where this function is very relevant ...

chib777
just joined

Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:30 pm

now I put hAP ac2 in the locker)) in the hope that in the future mikrotik will update the firmware and the functionality of ftp smb will be full, and for trips at the time purchased xiaomi router 3G with Padavan, it is uncomfortable with its size, 4 antennas are not removable, the size is terrible but there is necessary functions.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:49 pm

@DummyPLUG: I'm not saying you're not right, I too would find several features I'd like to see first, before things like these. But different people have different requirements. If a home user buys something presented as home router, they couldn't care less about faster BGP and similar stuff, they want features useful for them.

ziegenberg
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:31 pm

Hi!

What you are describing sounds like a NAS or a Home Media Center, not a router. RouterOS is a swiss-army knife for networking, not a jack of all trades device which does everything from networking up to high level applications.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:46 pm

They added SMB, so you can use the router as simple NAS, but it's incomplete. People expect more, NTFS, DLNA, ... because competition has it.
The default router provided by my ISP (AVM Fritz!box) has this, but I only read complaints about it.
People expect throughput comparable to the network rate and/or the disk speed, and in reality it is very slow.
So it is probably a good idea not to try to enter this market, as the CPU of many routers is not powerful enough to get "decent throughput" and all you get is more dissatisfied customers.

Get a NAS! Maybe it can also do some routing... or OpenVPN.

chib777
just joined

Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:02 pm

Hi!

What you are describing sounds like a NAS or a Home Media Center, not a router. RouterOS is a swiss-army knife for networking, not a jack of all trades device which does everything from networking up to high level applications.
Im dont undestend for what mikrotik, only for NAT)) network administrator)) now is 2018 year, not 2010.
Mikrotik better cover all standart function smb ftp ntfs... , also "if make samething - make it is good and full".

Отправлено с моего Mi MIX 2 через Tapatalk

IntrusDave
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:24 pm

I vote NO NTFS, and I also vote to remove SMB, or at least make it a package that I can remove.
Better yet, move all of the "home user" features into a separate package so that us enterprise customers don't have to have that type of stuff in our routers.

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:46 pm

I vote NO NTFS, and I also vote to remove SMB, or at least make it a package that I can remove.
Better yet, move all of the "home user" features into a separate package so that us enterprise customers don't have to have that type of stuff in our routers.
+1
Remove all this like SMB, Kid Control etc in separate packages...
Smaller OS brings less attack surface

chib777
just joined

Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:17 pm

Im think if mikrotik remove complete all frendly user function, he is take life like Nokia, good but bankrupt.
Now FTP
SMB
NTFS
EXT4 is MUST HAVE funtions.
About security mikrotik think is good, no any problem.

Lachrymist
just joined

Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:46 pm

There should be NTFS, ext4 file system support. DLNA and other home user friendly features. For example, hap ac2 is a powerful device, it could easily be a small NAS server for home. Most home users won't use even a small fraction of available power of this device anyway.
Yes, that would be awesome if those features would be as separate package.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:28 am

Remember that those new low-end MikroTik routers have only 16MB of flash storage!
The amount of code that can go in there is not unlimited.
Typical NAS devices have several GB of flash to store a full Linux OS, services and utilities.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:38 am

Look at the bright side, the sooner it fills up, the sooner they will start using bigger flash for newer devices. :)

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:45 am

Look at the bright side, the sooner it fills up, the sooner they will start using bigger flash for newer devices. :)
I think they ordered millions of 16MB flash chips to get a nice discount on them and now we have to wait until they are all used up...
We can only hope that most of them got destroyed in the warehouse fire.

16MB... come on! today, people read it as 16GB without thinking :D

bennyh
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:07 pm

I think they ordered millions of 16MB flash chips to get a nice discount on them and now we have to wait until they are all used up...
We can only hope that most of them got destroyed in the warehouse fire.

16MB... come on! today, people read it as 16GB without thinking :D
I think (only theoretically), this small flash is the main reason of the ROS7 delay.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:23 pm

I think (only theoretically), this small flash is the main reason of the ROS7 delay.
I wondered about that too, but this was denied by MikroTik employees.
And to be fair, Ros7 development (and delays) was well underway when this flash size shrink happened.
(the classical devices all have 128MB, this 16MB thing occurred only some 2 years ago)

bezerker
just joined

Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:08 pm

I dont know, why to blame mikrotik for lack of ntfs support. It is like insulting qnap or synology for no router/nat functions :D If you want storage, get NAS...if u want advance router, get mikrotik... USB ports on MKtik are primarily intended for LTE/3G backups

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:38 pm

I vote +1 for making all SOHO features a separate package.

I consider SOHO features, stuff like:
  • Quick Set
  • SMB
  • Kid Control
  • Detect Internet
  • Default Firewall
  • UPnP
I would even go as far to include 'Cloud' in that list, but many will disagree with me on that one.

IMHO there is no need for those in an enterprise environment.

IntrusDave
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:33 pm

• Quick Set
  • SMB
  • Kid Control
  • Detect Internet
  • Default Firewall
  • UPnP
I would even go as far to include 'Cloud' in that list, but many will disagree with me on that one.

I 100% support this

eddieb

Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:36 pm

+1 for me too.
Separate packages to allow removal of this soho stuff I don't want.

chib777
just joined

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:33 pm

In addition to mikrotik I bought a small Nexx 3020 router, after installing padavan firmware it got turbo functionality.
FTP, SMB, 2.5 inch 4 tb Hard drive connected without power! 12 gb the movie opens in 3-5 seconds. It has 1 WAN and 1 LAN, powered by microUSB.
I have an idea to stick it with adhesive tape to mikrotik hAP ac2 and connect them with a short patch cord on the LAN. After turning off the wifi on the Nexx 3020 and leaving only the LAN.
Nexx 3020 has only 8mb rom and 64 mb ram, but it is very functional.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:43 pm

• Quick Set
  • SMB
  • Kid Control
  • Detect Internet
  • Default Firewall
  • UPnP

I 100% support this
I agree ... and add that professional stuff has to be separate package (not part of bundle) as well. This includes:
  • MPLS
  • routing
  • hotspot
Why should these packages reside on typical SOHO router?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:17 pm

Stop the use of the bundle package, deliver the routers with the packages required for typical home router use:
advanced-tools, dhcp, ppp, security, system, wireless (the latter only on devices that have wireless) and most important:
add some method in system->packages to download and install packages selecting them from a list of available packages on the download server.

This will make it easy for everyone to add the packages they require, no need to download and unpack zip files and update part of them to the router.
The required files are already on the download server, because upgrade of a router with separate packages downloads only what is required.
Maybe an index file would have to be added and it would be downloaded when you click the new "add package" button.
A list of available packages is displayed, you select one or more of them and click "download&install" just as when upgrading.

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:30 am

Stop the use of the bundle package
+1

I don't see any benefit with the bundle package. It only confuses people.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:06 am

That's what I asked for years ago.

poo
just joined

Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:30 pm

Well, would be nice to have at least an opportunity to have either NTFS/ext4 support. Otherwise, maybe it is possible to add an api for integrating any fs driver?

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:48 pm

What for?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:11 pm

As discussed before, it would be better to move SMB into an optional package. Then it can be expanded without impact to the flash size for everyone.
In v7 more optional packages were moved back into the main package, however.
When that is because of the tricky dependencies and linking between all those optional items, I can understand that when it is in the core routing functions.
(e.g. difficult to separate IPsec or DHCP or PPP from the main package)
For SMB that should not be an issue, it is just an application that mistakenly landed in the router.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:56 am

I wonder that we can need still the same things even after many years.