Community discussions

MikroTik App

bitsmart
just joined
Topic Author

Two IP series to run through Mikrotik - PLEASE help

Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:04 am

ANY instruction would be very much appreciated:

First let me take just a moment and explain our infrastructure which hopefully will assist you in assisting me! And forgive me if I sound rather elementary, I am only trying to be as clear as possible.

Essentially, we are a wireless ISP, and at this point, all of our network bandwidth is throttled at each client CPE (right now we are using Lucent Orinoco radios that allow us to do this), but now we would like to switch to Tranzeo radios which require bandwidth shaping to be done at the head end.

Our network originates with a DSL feed running into a Cisco 827 modem/router. We have a primary and secondary eth interface with a public gateway on the primary, and a private gateway on the secondary.

Our wireless access point is set to bridge to the client CPE radios (this access point has a private IP assigned to it, and all the radios do as well), which then run ethernet cable down to a router where we assign a STATIC PRIVATE OR PUBLIC IP address, depending on customer need (typically they are assigned a private IP, unless the customer has a specific need for a public).

Now as I said before, we woud like to install this Mikrotik router so that we can switch over to using Tranzeo CPEs, and throttle our bandwidth to each customer using the Mikrotik. Can someone PLEASE assist me in how I need to set the Mikrotik up so that my clients can continue to use either a private or a public IP?
Right now, I have the RouterOS on the IDE flash module and it is booting from a PC-based machine, and I have two PCI ethernet cards installed that the Mikrotik recognizes no problem. I am using Winbox to configure it.
Again, any help would be very greatly appreciated!!! THANK YOU.

tneumann

Re: Two IP series to run through Mikrotik - PLEASE help

Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:19 am

Can someone PLEASE assist me in how I need to set the Mikrotik up so that my clients can continue to use either a private or a public IP?
One possible solution is described here:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/TransparentTrafficShaper

Since it is transparent, it would not interfere with your existing IP address scheme at all.

--Tom

bitsmart
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:56 am

Tom,

Thanks so much for the info. I will try this first thing Monday.

bitsmart
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:39 am

Tom, that did the trick. Thanks again!