Community discussions

MikroTik App

OKNET
Topic Author

CAPsMAN info needed

Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:50 pm

I'm playing for first time with CAPsMAN successfully

Just a pair of questions :

In a L2 environment (all APs and Maager on the same switch) is of any utility to have controller as DHCP server and APs as DHCP clients ? Why ?

If controller hasn't router function, and DHCP server resides on same LAN, can I simply add to datapath bridge my LAN interface so APs are bridged to LAN and wireless client get DHCP infos directly from server ??

Thank you

OKNET
Topic Author

Re: CAPsMAN info needed

Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:58 pm

pardon......

In case my AP get an IP address from Manager DHCP server (i.e. for management purpose) , how can wireless client get an IP address from A DIFFERENT POOL ??

scampbell
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:30 am

DHCP is a layer2 function so connect clients to specific client interface/vlan with a suitable DHCP-server and pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scampbell
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:30 am

DHCP is a layer2 function so connect clients to specific client interface/vlan with a suitable DHCP-server and pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MartijnVdS
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:42 am

pardon......

In case my AP get an IP address from Manager DHCP server (i.e. for management purpose) , how can wireless client get an IP address from A DIFFERENT POOL ??
There are several ways.

You can set up a separate VLANs on the AP, and have a datapath that uses local forwarding. This will send all traffic for clients using that wireless configuration to that VLAN, where you can set up a separate DHCP server, etc.

You can also set up "manager" forwarding. In that case, all traffic is sent to the CAPsMAN manager, which can then route it any way you configure it (you can, for instance, put the "cap" interface into a bridge to a separate (V)LAN with the separate DHCP server instance)

MartijnVdS
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:56 am

DHCP is an IP protocol (it uses UDP packets), which makes it a layer 3 protocol.

Because it uses broadcasts it's only *useful* to have one (authoritative) DHCP server per L2 broadcast domain though.