Community discussions

rado3105
Topic Author

Simple queues is consuming CPU too much, how to lower it?

Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:41 pm

Just a few SQ rules causes noticeable CPU consumption. Is it possible in some way to lower this consumption? Or what to use instead. I could use Queue tree - but in that way I lost possibility to see graphs of individual SQ rules...

MrcS
just joined

Re: RE: Simple queues is consuming CPU too much, how to lower it?

Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:35 am

Just a few SQ rules causes noticeable CPU consumption. Is it possible in some way to lower this consumption? Or what to use instead. I could use Queue tree - but in that way I lost possibility to see graphs of individual SQ rules...
Try creating a custom queue type based on the one you have, but with higher packet cache. Try 500 then lower until u get best balance.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Simple queues is consuming CPU too much, how to lower it?

Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:16 pm

Take a look at your system-routerboard CPU speed settings - depending on your Mikrotik, you may be able to change the CPU clock speed. In general, I have found that the second to the fastest clock speed always works on all mikrotiks I have tested everywhere.

Also - you can use the Ethernet switch chip to hardware bridge Ethernet ports to save on CPU loads. Software bridging always uses much more CPU time.

Also - you may want to consider - are there any router/firewall/queues/anythings that can be offloaded and performed on another server - such as a 3 GHz ROS or other type of server.

I personally consider a Mikrotik with a CPU load over 10 percent as a high-cpu-load, and anything close to 20 percent CPU load as broken.

Keep in mind ... High CPU loads (anything above 1) always equals progressive slower network throughput (propagation delay) as the CPU load increases.

North Idaho Tom Jones