Community discussions

syadnom
Topic Author

bonding broadcast for VoIP

Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:28 am

I'm playing around with using bonding broadcast because I have multiple internet connections with each having latency spikes and dropped packets. bonding broadcast will send each packet down both links (in this case, EoIP tunnels) for the purpose of the remote side getting the 'fastest' packet. Latency spikes on one link wouldn't effect a call. I don't care about the doubled bandwidth.

The problem is that if I do 2 EoIP tunnels on each side, put them in a bond with broadcast, I get 4x the ICMP packets. Seems very strange. UDP bandwidth test shows double bandwidth, TCP bandwidth test doesn't know what's going on, doesn't report speeds.

Maybe I'm going at this wrong, but I need to find a way to get every packet there and on time. Typical failover isn't working because sometimes it's just a few packets and maybe they are just 500ms or something then the link is back to normal. The failover process actually causes the number of lost packets to increase making it worse.

would be nice to have a bond type interface that would do FEC so these high latency moments could be considered drops and FEC could reconstruct them. Would also be nice to smooth over failover periods...