Community discussions

MikroTik App

alexap
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

winbox for ubuntu

Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:23 am

We need winbox for Ubuntu/linux not wine.
we realy need or L2 mac conexion cliente from ubuntu linux
any user more please?
I dont think that be very dificult?

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: winbox for ubuntu

Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:15 pm

My Winbox works fine in wine on Ubuntu, I regularly connect by MAC as the routers we deploy have discovery disabled (have to type in MAC) and access is removed from same LAN range.

mehrzadmo
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:35 pm

+1

alexap
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:05 pm

Native winbox for ubuntu please.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:43 am

Wine works fine with MAC (L2) connection and other features.

savage
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:51 pm

Yes, and wine & X-Windows is really something that I would just LOVE to run on production / enterprise linux systems... :?

alexap
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:37 pm

Wine works but it is uncomfortable having to recharge 500 MB (wine) in the SDD to run a 2MB application as winbox.
Why does it cost so much to compile winbox for ubuntu?

ErfanDL

Re: RE: Re: winbox for ubuntu

Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:42 pm

It's very hard to build linux version? Wine can't run on raspberrypi machines and we need winbox on linux.
Mikrotik kernel is linux but winbox linux version is not available :|

leonidas
just joined

Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:03 pm

I need too winbox for ubuntu +1

luizarturmacarani
just joined

Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:20 pm

+1 :shock:

darkprocess
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:20 pm

If you use Linux then go to command lines. There is no profitable interest to port winbox to linux. Have you ever developped graphical interfaces on linux ?

leonardovescovo
just joined

Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:28 am

+1

Many times it is more practical to configure by winbox than by cli in addition to providing connection via mac, not by using linux means that we have to configure everything by cli.
Please winbox native to ubuntu.

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:48 pm

Why winbox with wine is not sufficient? You have all the same features as windows users.

expert
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:59 pm

In what language and framework is Winbox developed? C or C++ ? Gtk or Qt?

javajox

Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:52 pm

Ideally winbox should be written in Java, let say using swing as GUI, or even much better newly created technology JavaFX

alexap
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:21 pm

Why winbox with wine is not sufficient? You have all the same features as windows users.
wine is not posible on raspberry pi and too in Modest resource computers. please winbox for linux,I know it does not cost much, do not be bad. Give away winbox for ubuntu for christmas.

darkprocess
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:50 pm

The problem is your are asking ubuntu why not debian redhat or suse or another distro. That's the main issue with linux

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:14 pm

Ideally winbox should be written in Java, let say using swing as GUI, or even much better newly created technology JavaFX
You mean like now Linux users complain about WINE as huge "useless" dependency, with Java WinBox everyone could join the party and complain the same way about Java? Yep, sounds really cool, can't wait to have it. ;)

lapsio
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:28 pm

You mean like now Linux users complain about WINE as huge "useless" dependency, with Java WinBox everyone could join the party and complain the same way about Java? Yep, sounds really cool, can't wait to have it. ;)
WINE is awful because it increases system vulnerability, not just because of dependencies. Java would be terrible as well. People talk abour Raspberry Pi - but i guess not first gen? Because that's what I own and It certainly can't run any GUI with any reasonable performance so it's just forced argument. Why not just create some CLI that can connect via mac?... You know like config over serial port just not through serial but through MAC. WinBox might be created with some WinAPI or other windows-only crap and porting all of it would be pain and completely not work efffort.

I personally never used WinBox in my life. I'm using WebFig and CLI. I find it sufficient. The only advantage of WinBox i know is MAC connectivity. But for this we don't need GUI.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:05 pm

I think WinBox is awesome and beats any other admin interface, including WebFig. But if all you're missing is MAC telnet, then good news for you: https://github.com/haakonnessjoen/MAC-Telnet

cutedrummerboy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:04 pm

I am waiting for a snap rather than a deb or rpm.

lapsio
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:06 pm

I am waiting for a snap rather than a deb or rpm.
We can have .tar.gz because I don't see any reason why should it be packaged for deb, for rpm, for slax, for arch, for gentoo, for slackware, for whatever the hell you use...

cutedrummerboy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:13 pm

lapsio, exactly. but snap have also great possibility.

cutedrummerboy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:15 pm

Fredy
just joined

Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:44 pm

[I think I already posted this on an old thread, sorry]:

To have a Linux version of WinBox should be a Must in a world of justice, which is not the case.
Anyone on the roll could notice that RouterOS uses a lot of "previously" opensoftware from the community.
So, asking for a Linux version is just asking for some return of the abuse it actually is.

Why is it call "difficult to do" when it really means "Business Policy"?

f.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:12 pm

I'm still at a loss as to why using WINE to run Winbox is such an issue?

Why not implore devs to do something useful rather than create functionality we already have?

tonny
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:06 pm

native winbox for Ubuntu/linux
+1

horusnet
just joined

Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:20 am

The problems I have in using winbox with wine: 1) difficulty connecting via MAC, sometimes the MAC appears and when I connect I lose connection. 2) When I use the New Terminal, the prompt cursor does not match the correct position, causing difficulty in knowing the correct position of the cursor.
Winbox for linux please !!!

Petzl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:51 pm

Since 6.30 i have also problems connecting with mac on my old debian linux laptop, for some devices it was solved to clean the winbox cache.

Before i had never problems, what you need to do, to get mac connection possible on wine, is adding a default gateway in you static address configuration.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:03 pm

Since 6.30 i have also problems connecting with mac on my old debian linux laptop, for some devices it was solved to clean the winbox cache.
Also, check your encryption settings when running MAC-Winbox (I would suggest disabling that for MAC connection) - if packets are missing, the secure connection will drop.

In turn - I am enabling IPv6 on my routers and using link-local address to connect to the router instead of MAC, as that gives me fully working TCP.

Also, not native Linux, but some can check out TikApp. Especially if running Android on RPI.

lapsio
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:51 am

Why not implore devs to do something useful rather than create functionality we already have?
Idk, have you ever read "Why it's bad idea to install X in production environment"? or "Why it's bad idea to install gcc in production environment" or "Why it's bad idea to install absolutely anything you don't totally have to in production environment"? Everything that has anything to do with windows makes your machine more vulnerable. And some people use Linux for security. As long as you don't use dedicated device just for network config your device might get compromised. And if device used for core network config gets compromised. it might be really, really bad scenario and put your company network on the list of hijacked servers to rent on black market.

In properly configured, restrictive network devices having access to any kind of configuration can be weakest point in whole security system. Putting WINE on them makes them even weaker.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:28 am

Idk, have you ever read "Why it's bad idea to install X in production environment"? or "Why it's bad idea to install gcc in production environment" or "Why it's bad idea to install absolutely anything you don't totally have to in production environment"? Everything that has anything to do with windows makes your machine more vulnerable. And some people use Linux for security. As long as you don't use dedicated device just for network config your device might get compromised. And if device used for core network config gets compromised. it might be really, really bad scenario and put your company network on the list of hijacked servers to rent on black market.

In properly configured, restrictive network devices having access to any kind of configuration can be weakest point in whole security system. Putting WINE on them makes them even weaker.
So your point is paranoia?

lapsio
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:26 am

So your point is paranoia?
Yeah, some people call it "security" but I guess it's synonym considering number of vulnerable networks.

Lansman
just joined

Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:23 am

+1 Winbox is not working correctly in my uptodate Windows10 home, and really sucks in Wine Ubuntu. If I did this all the time, I would learn command line but I am not a WISP provider. Not yet. Though I now have a lot of Microtik systems around here... so my vote per routerboard should be more than 7. I am not putting down this laptop to go count them.

Wine is easy to use if it worked properly. But a linux build for Ubuntu would be nice... I assume Microtik would not want to release source.

Lansman
just joined

Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:24 am

+1 Winbox is not working correctly in my uptodate Windows10 home, and really sucks in Wine Ubuntu. If I did this all the time, I would learn command line but I am not a WISP provider. Not yet. Though I now have a lot of Microtik systems around here... so my vote per routerboard should be more than 7. I am not putting down this laptop to go count them.

Wine is easy to use if winbox.exe worked properly under wine. But a linux build for Ubuntu would be nice... I assume Microtik would not want to release source.

Lansman
just joined

Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:15 pm

Hey! It is working under WINE!! My low capacity backup laptop could be a cause of previous WINBOX failure. Last night it was flawless. I have not rebooted since... in hope I can continue to use it. All I can say is it seems to be good as of last night. Thank you Mikrotik.

mixig

Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:07 pm

Any update regarding this topic?

BR,
Mixig

walterav1984

Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:23 pm

Still interested in a native linux version, if a correct "snap" packages has been crafted it means allot of other non debian/ubuntu distros with snap support will also be compatible(not mentioning cpu architecture differences)!

Flatpack is also an option for linux distros?

Has anyone tried running winbox on non x86 windows 10 tablets/notebooks and does it run in windows10 (without x86 emulation on the arm) or will Mikrotik make a windows store universal app for covering the upcoming x86/arm windows versions?