Community discussions

MikroTik App

Aceso
just joined
Topic Author

Hotspot MAC Cookie vs HTTP Cookie

Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:54 pm

I am having a hard time finding anything on the wiki or older posts that shows the difference between HTTP cookies and the MAC cookies.

The cookies tab under hotspot I assume only shows MAC cookies because a HTTP cookie should exist on the client device correct?

Should the timeout on both cookie types be set the same? I want clients to have a long cookie life, say 30-90 days, so even if they lose connection and hit the idle timeout or leave the house for an extended period they wont have to reauthenticate when they come back on - I assume MAC cookies are for this purpose correct?

Thanks for any advice.

razavim
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Hotspot MAC Cookie vs HTTP Cookie

Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:52 pm

you are correct HTTP cookies are saved on clients device however with MAC cookie you have the possibility to save the cooki inside the router for as long as you like. but you have to turn it on in server profile in login tab and also in user profile in hot spot you must click on the checkmark for using MAC cookie and give the proper time in your case as you said 30 to 90 days. and asoon as clients try to login you can in Cookie tab in hotspot that their time start to count down.

hope that would help

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
Last edited by razavim on Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JAMM
just joined

Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:30 pm

Sorry to bother, but I'm not that knowledgeable. Guests at our B&B sometimes complain that they have to login again, after the have logged off. They need to fill in again username/password. Do I understand correct that in the server profile "cookies" must be marked to avoid this "problem. See attachment for current setting. Looking forward to your advise. Thanks and regards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DSK

Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:09 am

Sorry to bother, but I'm not that knowledgeable. Guests at our B&B sometimes complain that they have to login again, after the have logged off. They need to fill in again username/password.
Do I understand correct that in the server profile "cookies" must be marked to avoid this "problem
. See attachment for current setting. Looking forward to your advise. Thanks and regards.
Yes you shall need to mark the cookie field to avoid having your clients key in their login details multiple times. You could also set how long the cookie should remain active.

JideSteve
just joined

loon issue

Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:26 pm

I created mutliple accounts for my users but I discovered my users credentials work for another users account. For instance, I see abc username on Mr. XY account and also find Mr XY on mno account.