MikroTik App

majestic
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

[Q] Rate limit single server's IP

Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:30 pm

Hi Guys,

I have recently switched from my old router (RTN66U custom firmware) to a nice new Mikrotik RB750Gr3. Most of everything i've managed to setup but a few things I still haven't and this is one of those things that I haven't managed to.

Ive been trying to get the same feature(s) which I used on my old router working on this new replacement which the old one had a very basic rate limiting to a specific IP system and every other system was unaffected by the config of this down/up rate. Please see enclosed link which shows how it was setup on my existing router, it should be easy enough to understand what I am trying to achieve.

In short I have a vDSL connection here at home which has 80Mbits downstream and 18Mbits upstream MAX. What I would like to do is rate limit ONE IP to about 65Mbits down and about 12Mbits up (approx) so that this system doesn't lag the rest of the systems/computers on the network.

I would really like to be able to do the same on the mikrotik but even tho ive read the wiki pages and also have tried things like:
/queue simple add name="HP Microserver Gen8" target=172.30.255.2/32 max-limit=66560k/12288k
all doesn't seem to be working after I test it with a simple wget to speedtest site to saturate the line (the download comes down at full speed so the rule is being ignored and or ive done it wrong). So my question is, what am I doing wrong? any ideas? if so please let me know.

Old router screenshot
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0cbma4rucjcit ... 5.png?dl=0

Link used to learn rate limit on mikrotik: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Queue

Kind Regards

Revelation

Re: [Q] Rate limit single server's IP

Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:47 pm

One thing I would check is to ensure you have fasttrack disabled.

majestic
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:29 am

Oh I thought having fast track was good. Are you saying that you can't use fast track if your using any form of rate limit even if it's just for one IP? And fyi it's enabled. Will test by removing so a big ty for that tip. However do you know if there's away to have your cake and eat it if you know what I mean? I.e best of both worlds?

Revelation

Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:43 pm

Oh I thought having fast track was good. Are you saying that you can't use fast track if your using any form of rate limit even if it's just for one IP? And fyi it's enabled.
Typically fast track is good. When fast track is enabled, it will bypass your queues - at least that was the behavior the last time I implemented it as a test. I do not know if Mikrotik has changed anything in regards to that behavior recently.
Will test by removing so a big ty for that tip. However do you know if there's away to have your cake and eat it if you know what I mean? I.e best of both worlds?
Someone with a lot more experience with Mikrotik will need to chime in.

majestic
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:48 pm

Oh I thought having fast track was good. Are you saying that you can't use fast track if your using any form of rate limit even if it's just for one IP? And fyi it's enabled.
Typically fast track is good. When fast track is enabled, it will bypass your queues - at least that was the behavior the last time I implemented it as a test. I do not know if Mikrotik has changed anything in regards to that behavior recently.
Will test by removing so a big ty for that tip. However do you know if there's away to have your cake and eat it if you know what I mean? I.e best of both worlds?
Someone with a lot more experience with Mikrotik will need to chime in.
Oh my, thank you very much for telling me this, it looks like I may have to redesign the whole network. I can feed the connection from the old router instead of doing the rate limit stuff on the mikrotik if it comes to it but that kinda defeats the purpose.

If anyone knows any more info, would love to hear as ideally I would love to have the best of both worlds. Worst case, I can just use the RB750Gr3 as a VPN router only and it can just handle those connections ONLY, would be a shame tho.

Revelation

Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:51 pm

Here's an older thread covering this very topic:

http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?t=98133

majestic
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:51 pm

Thank you very much, reading now.

majestic
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:00 pm

Thanks again, i've just had a read and about the third post from the bottom shows a way how I can do what I want and still keep fast track for the other connections.

I am not at home right now but in a few hours I will be and will report back after i've tested. Thank you again for shedding some light on how this should be setup.

majestic
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:15 pm

Revelation, thank you so much for sending me that link again. I can confirm the answer is within that link that you kindly posted but as I am a nice guy, i'm going to post the exact config that I used to resolve this issue so others don't have to struggle if they are trying to achieve the same as me.
/queue simple add name="HP Microserver Gen8" target=172.30.255.2/32 max-limit=12288k/66560k

/ip firewall filter
add action=accept chain=forward comment=\
    "HP Microserver Gen8 IP excluded from fasttrack for simple queue processing" connection-state=\
    established,related src-address=172.30.255.2/32
add action=accept chain=forward comment=\
    "HP Microserver Gen8 IP excluded from fasttrack for simple queue processing" connection-state=\
    established,related dst-address=172.30.255.2/32
add action=fasttrack-connection chain=forward comment="fasttrack" \
    connection-state=established,related
TIP/HINT: The speed limits that you want to use i.e in my case I wanted 65 Mbits down and 12 Mbits up, are reversed when you type them in the console as you can see from my config. So down is up and up is down.

I hope this helps anyone else with the same problem as I did.

Revelation

Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:24 am

Glad you found what you were looking for. There's always more than one way to "skin a cat."

majestic
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:29 am

Glad you found what you were looking for. There's always more than one way to "skin a cat."
Aye so it seems.

Now enjoying the best of both worlds :) fast track + rate limit = bliss :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bin0rbkam44s6 ... 5.png?dl=0