Community discussions

SockGnome
just joined
Topic Author

Slow VPN Speeds

Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:12 am

I just purchased a RB750Gr3. So far I love it. The purchase was made because my old router wouldn’t do more than 40Mbps over VPN. When I saw advertisements for the RB750Gr3 doing 400Mb+ over VPN I quickly made the purchase. Problem is I’ve been unable to obtain speeds over 10Mb so far. I have tried with 3 different VPN providers (EarthVpn, Private Internet Access, and UnblockVPN). I have setup PPTP and L2TP connections with each provider in various parts of the USA but am unable to get over 10Mb speeds. When using a desktop client from a windows machine I am easily able to get over 100Mb. Without VPN my ISP delivers 200Mb speeds.

Troubleshooting steps have consisted of changing the MTU and MRU values between 1300 and 1450. I have deleted and recreated all of the PPP, Firewall, and Route rules. I have also reset the router to factory defaults several times but no luck.

I am using the latest firmware of 6.38.

wanttotree
just joined

Re: Slow VPN Speeds

Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:10 pm

i too second this. the only difference is i am running it on a ccr1009. i expect it to run pptp and l2tp as a client without breaking a sweat. using the connection straight in my mac and the connection hits 25mbps(lowest) and 44mbps(highest) very easily. but when it comes to vpn through mikrotik, i usually get 9-10mbps. today i tried adding fasttrack rule, then i hit 13-15mbps every once in a while. what is going on here? im fairly new to mikrotik and i have been googling around and played around with mtu values, authentication, changing ipsec proposals, disabling all the firewall all together, disabling ipsec secret and so on. I am connecting to both pptp and l2tp, both came up with almost exactly the same result, 10-15mbps max. I am using the good ol expressvpn and connected to la,washington and toronto, i even tried the nearest server to me which are malaysia, singapore and philippines(im in malaysia btw). my isp provided me with 50/20 via ppoe with vlan. can someone please shed us some light here? maybe we missed something?

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:04 pm

the RB750Gr3 doing 400Mb+ over VPN I quickly made the purchase.
This is only achievable when using hardware-accelerated encryption, which is only supported for IPsec (and only when using aes-cbc and sha1/sha256 algorithms). Does any of VPN providers you listed support IPsec?

shonu

Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:31 pm

plz help me i am showing same problm just going meximum 10mb . plz some one help me

Paternot
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:35 pm

I just purchased a RB750Gr3. So far I love it. The purchase was made because my old router wouldn’t do more than 40Mbps over VPN. When I saw advertisements for the RB750Gr3 doing 400Mb+ over VPN I quickly made the purchase. Problem is I’ve been unable to obtain speeds over 10Mb so far. I have tried with 3 different VPN providers (EarthVpn, Private Internet Access, and UnblockVPN). I have setup PPTP and L2TP connections with each provider in various parts of the USA but am unable to get over 10Mb speeds. When using a desktop client from a windows machine I am easily able to get over 100Mb. Without VPN my ISP delivers 200Mb speeds.

Troubleshooting steps have consisted of changing the MTU and MRU values between 1300 and 1450. I have deleted and recreated all of the PPP, Firewall, and Route rules. I have also reset the router to factory defaults several times but no luck.

I am using the latest firmware of 6.38.
This is my RB750Gr3, with L2TP/IPsec, doing 60 Mb/s with hardware acceleration
> /system resource monitor
cpu-used: 24%
cpu-used-per-cpu: 54%,1%,20%,21%
free-memory: 216820KiB

This is it with OpenVpn, doing aprox 40Mb/s, without hardware acceleration
/system resource monitor
cpu-used: 25%
cpu-used-per-cpu: 7%,1%,0%,95%
free-memory: 215248KiB

So, there You have it. Only IPsec (with some ciphers) get hardware acceleration. Then (and only then) You will be able to get more speed. OpenVpn doesn't have this luxury, so You are stuck with something about 40Mb/s.

And keep in mind that the 400Mb/s through IPsec is with pure IPsec: no L2TP, no GRE, no nothing.