Community discussions

MikroTik App

iredden
Topic Author

Need IPv6 help getting DHCP v6 working

Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:04 pm

Hi All,

My ISP finally is giving out IPv6 addresses and a /56!!

My hAP AC test box gets an address, throw the /56 to the pool and does not serve clients addresses.
[admin@Router] /ipv6 pool> print detail
Flags: D - dynamic
 0 D name="rogers-ipv6" prefix=AAAA:AAAA:AAAA:A00::/56 prefix-length=56 expires-after=6d11h36m19s
[admin@Router] /ipv6 address> print
Flags: X - disabled, I - invalid, D - dynamic, G - global, L - link-local
 #    ADDRESS                                     FROM-POOL INTERFACE                                                                                                                                                              ADVERTISE
 0 DL fe80::e68d:8cff:fe53:856c/64                          bridge-vlan200                                                                                                                                                         no
 1 DL fe80::e68d:8cff:fe53:856c/64                          bridge-vlan100                                                                                                                                                         no
 2 DL fe80::e68d:8cff:fe53:8568/64                          wan                                                                                                                                                                    no
 3 DL fe80::e68d:8cff:fe53:856a/64                          ether3                                                                                                                                                                 no
 4 DL fe80::e68d:8cff:fe53:856c/64                          ether5                                                                                                                                                                 no
 5 DG AAAA:AAAA:AAA:AAA:AAAA:AAAA:AAAA:f501/64              wan                                                                                                                                                                    no
[admin@Router] /ipv6 dhcp-server> print
Flags: D - dynamic, X - disabled, I - invalid
 #    NAME                                                              INTERFACE                                                             ADDRESS-POOL                                                             PREFERENCE LEASE-TIME
 0    default                                                           bridge-vlan100                                                        rogers-ipv6                                                                     255 3d
[admin@Router] /ipv6 dhcp-server> print detail
Flags: D - dynamic, X - disabled, I - invalid
 0    name="default" interface=bridge-vlan100 address-pool=rogers-ipv6 lease-time=3d rapid-commit=yes preference=255 duid="0x00030001e48a8d53e568"
There are no entries in the binding.
/ipv6 dhcp-server
add address-pool=rogers-ipv6 interface=bridge-vlan100 name=default
/ipv6 dhcp-client
add add-default-route=yes interface=wan pool-name=rogers-ipv6 pool-prefix-length=56 prefix-hint=::/56 request=address,prefix
/ipv6 firewall filter
add action=accept chain=input comment="Allow established connections" connection-state=established disabled=yes
add action=accept chain=input comment="Allow related connections" connection-state=related disabled=yes
add action=drop chain=input comment="INPUT: default drop" disabled=yes in-interface=wan
add action=accept chain=forward comment="Allow any to internet" disabled=yes out-interface=wan
add action=accept chain=forward comment="Allow established connections" connection-state=established disabled=yes
add action=accept chain=forward comment="Allow related connections" connection-state=related disabled=yes
add action=drop chain=forward comment="FORWARD: default drop" disabled=yes
add action=accept chain=input comment=ICMPv6 disabled=yes protocol=icmpv6
/ipv6 nd
set [ find default=yes ] advertise-dns=yes disabled=yes interface=bridge-vlan100 ra-lifetime=none
/ipv6 nd prefix default
set preferred-lifetime=4h valid-lifetime=4h
Thanks for your help in advance!

proximus
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Need IPv6 help getting DHCP v6 working

Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:41 pm

Please clarify what you want to use the DHCPv6 server for. It is not a DHCPv6 server for hosts on your LAN (wish it was!), it is a DHCP-PD server to hand out prefixes to other routers.

Also, I noticed that your interfaces do not have global IPv6 addresses. This is not handled by the DHCPv6 server. The interface /64's are taken from the pool, such as:
/ipv6 address
add advertise=no from-pool=comcast-ipv6 interface=ether2-master
add from-pool=comcast-ipv6 interface=ether5-dmz
add from-pool=comcast-ipv6 interface=ether4-guest-wireless

iredden
Topic Author

Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:18 am

How would I get the pool into a separate dhcp v6 server to supply my hosts?

I added the addresses to the interfaces.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:55 am

You could add DHCPv6 server on RouterOS and configure it to hand out prefixes (with /56, you have enough to do it). Then on another machine you'd use DHCPv6 client to get prefix and then finally DHCPv6 server to give out addresses.

proximus
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:00 am

How would I get the pool into a separate dhcp v6 server to supply my hosts?
Manually. I use dnsmasq on ubuntu. dnsmasq will pickup the IPv6 prefix from the interface configuration and use that for the DHCPv6 server. I just do this on my main LAN. Others are stateless auto config. Of course, if your IPv6 addressing changes then manual changes will be need on the server. (better ideas are welcome!)

If you need DHCPv6 on more than one network, I'm not sure of the best way to do that.

On the MT, you will need set the Managed flag under IPv6 ND.

iredden
Topic Author

Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:37 am

You could add DHCPv6 server on RouterOS and configure it to hand out prefixes (with /56, you have enough to do it). Then on another machine you'd use DHCPv6 client to get prefix and then finally DHCPv6 server to give out addresses.
Do you have an example? I have 2 hAP AC's back to back. One is the router, the other is the ap/switch.

However right now, I can't even get an IPv6 address on the ap/switch.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:14 am

I don't have working example, but you already had part of that in your first post, i.e. DHCPv6 server on internal port using pool that you got from ISP. Unfortunately, it can't yet provide addresses. So what you need is another non-RouterOS machine with pretty much same config, except its DHCPv6 server will be able to give out addresses.