MikroTik App

mp3turbo2
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

what is the recommended STABLE Prism2.5 firmware for 2.8.x

Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:36 am

hello,

what is the recommended STABLE Prism2.5 firmware for 2.8.15 or 2.8.16 versions ? Do those load some firmware into RAM on prism cards?

I've been fighting problems with 1.0.4 (I think) / 1.3.4 and 1.3.6 secondary firmwares. Both of them show the same behaviour : after some short time (some hours), they will stop transferring data. Link is still alive, client with Prism/MT2.8.15 can see AP, AP can see associated client, but that's it - no more. Disabling prism, waiting few seconds, enabling again almost always brought this to live - but not always, let's say one or two failures in ten. Excellent signal of -40dB, 0.2km (=0.125 miles) link, Sparklan AP 1590 with latest firmware as AP, my MT2.8.15 with Prism2.5 with 1.3.4 and 1.3.6 firmware as client on P233, Intel 440VX chipset, 64MB RAM, everything disabled in BIOS, no IRQ conflicts (this machine was serving for 1.5 year as AP for 20 clients with this same card) and never had a problem (linux, host-ap, versions unknown right now).

quick question : anyone observed similar behavior (card will stop passing data, link still alive) ? I've browsed internet and found some notices about this...

btw, what is the difference between legacy drivers and new wireless regarding prism ? What is the difference between 2.8.15 and 2.8.17 (there are some b/g fixes mentioned in changelog) ?

thnx, mp3turbo.

mperdue
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:44 pm

I had this simular problem and I just don't remember the exact fix for this but I do know this.

I could not upgrade the prisim card in the MT unit, I had to take them out, put them into a laptop (pcmcia card) and flash the card with the drivers that are listed the mt web site. If you go look at there prodcuts/price list it will list the prisim card and they have placed a link there to the stable flash code. Once I flashed, they prsim cards that I use became stable.

-Michael

isptlan

Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:46 am

I have some problems with ,,original,, firmware what comes with cards and I flash cards with firmware P1.1.1/S1.7.4 and cards work in 2.8.x without problems.
If anyone wants know ,,howto,, contact me

/Tomi

tully
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:43 am

v2.8 automatically puts v1.7.4 secondary firmware on all prism cards -- when booted with RouterOS, though this is not a permanent write to the prism card. It may be that the primary firmware is so old, it can not support v1.7.4 sec -- then you would need to use your laptop and windows untility to fix this.

Basically, you don't have to do anything if you have a prism card that is not more than five years old.

John

mp3turbo2
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:19 pm

thank you, guys, for responses - 1.7.4 is what I've done.

I downloaded firmware from http://www.demarctech.com/downloads/rel ... W1.7.4.zip, this is complete package with automated windows flash program. Insert card into functional windows system, start windows, install drivers for that card, reboot (just to be sure), run this updater and voila - you have upgraded primary to 1.1.1 (I think, if I remember correctly) and secondary to 1.7.4. So far, I've heard very good references to 1.7.4 and since I flashed this firmware 36 hours ago, there was no outage. This is universal firmware for all cards, doesn't have to be 200mW demarc, we flashed ca. 6 prism2.5 cards from 5 different manufacturers without any problems. I compared about 3 or 4 different flashes from different manufactures on web - there are the same :) except the name of the flashing program. So definitely, this firmware should be universal. I couldn't find prism firmware on mikrotiks' page.

I don't know whether those cards perform like 200mW ones, but I really doubt it, because this is not matter of firmware, but PHY chip. I don't care about the power, since we do short links and I usually have around -45dB signal :)

So far, seems like it did help and I'm soooo glad !

bye, mp3turbo.

okey

Prism 2.5 not showing up on Mikroti OS 2.8.18

Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:35 am

Hi All,

I just installed Mini pci prism 2.5 (senao NL-2511MP Plus 802.11b) on mikrotik 2.8.18. I am having a problem here: Mikrotik cannot see the prism card at all. I tried with mini pci artheros 5212 ABG card , and the mikrotik OS 2.8.18 picked it up fine.
John, fellas i need help on this . Do i have to flash thsi card too, just bought it brand new , do i cannot be more than 5 years.
Thanks

Okey