Community discussions

MikroTik App

Ansy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

DNS static records limit?

Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:17 pm

How many /ip dns static records can I create?

I've managed only about 1500... but I need 37'000+ for now (and growing).
Yes, it's for strong traffic filtering purpose (sad, but that's government law) with fast growing "black lists".

Not found any option to control or check this limit. It's not DNS cache size (doesn't rise static records limit), but what?

But alternative ways are to setup aside / connect via Internet another dedicated PC-based (not ROS obviously) DNS server or maybe setup MetaRouter with more capable DNS simple server and redirect requests to it. Both ways are not good, AFAIK, because of unstable work and eating extra resourses (RB951U, 20MB free of 128MB RAM only, migrating to RB750Gr3).

Transparent webproxy does this work for now, but can't manage HTTPS connections (why?) and loads CPU up to 100%, so I want to reject blocked domains somewhen earlier, returning 127.0.0.1 for DNS requests to that ones.

Janevski

Re: DNS static records limit?

Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:15 pm

I would like to know the answer of this question too.
Furthermore, i would like to know the limits for static A entries and regex DNS entries.

One dirty hack workaround is to daisy chain Mikrotik DNS forwarders, but it adds DNS query response latency.
For example:
DNS resolver->mikrotik1 DNS forwarder->mikrotik2 DNS forwarder->mikrotik3 DNS forwarder->DNS client

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:26 pm

There doesn't seem to be strict limit. I did a little test with latest CHR (6.39rc27) and was able to add 40k static records like these:
/ip dns static
add address=127.0.0.0 name=test0.example.net ttl=1m
add address=127.0.0.1 name=test1.example.net ttl=1m
add address=127.0.0.2 name=test2.example.net ttl=1m
add address=127.0.156.61 name=test39997.example.net ttl=1m
add address=127.0.156.62 name=test39998.example.net ttl=1m
add address=127.0.156.63 name=test39999.example.net ttl=1m
It took several minutes and it was eating memory like crazy (and CPU too). According to System->Resources, memory went down by 149 MB. And DNS cache itself showed 128 MB used. That seems a little too much. Even though each static record adds two records in cache (A and PTR), it's over 3kB per added static record. Reboot did not help. It took several minutes before DNS cache started and in the end it again showed 128MB used cache.

I think it's safe to say that RouterOS was not made for this and dedicated non-RouterOS DNS resolver is the only way. You should have one (or better more) anyway if you're ISP.

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:51 am

its more bound/limited by available memory.
in result you can load things like p lowe adblock list in say 64Mb RAM devices and add malwaredomain.com atop of that on devices with 128Mb and 256Mb.
its will cost Considerable amount of CPU power and time to add and notably decrease boot-up time, which isn't big deal because huge uptime of most.

Ansy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:40 am

What's wrong about RAM, guys?

Embedded web proxy always DOES this work with about 36K regexps (& about 38K IPs in firewall address list).
Of course, it eats RAM (we need to store all that strings at last), but why DNS records have to eat more RAM than webproxy records?

And IMHO DNS internal procedures are simplier than proxy due to protocol design.
MT-DNS.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ansy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:12 pm

FYI:
It is possible to use dnsmasq to block Web advertising by using a list of known banner-ad servers, all resolving to 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0, in /etc/hosts or an additional hosts file. The list can be very long, dnsmasq has been tested successfully with one million names. That size file needs a 1GHz processor and about 60Mb of RAM.
http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/do ... q-man.html

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:44 pm

It is possible to use dnsmasq to block Web advertising by using a list of known banner-ad servers, all resolving to 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0, in /etc/hosts or an additional hosts file. The list can be very long, dnsmasq has been tested successfully with one million names. That size file needs a 1GHz processor and about 60Mb of RAM.
This is exactly what I would like to do. I'm doing it on my workstation, but it would be nice to have it on a custom device. Maybe MikroTik could make a purpose build DNS box?

Ansy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:30 pm

I've tested creating static DNS records on RB2011 with 128MB RAM onboard.
Device crashed under above 27K records (not regexp's -- plain names!) when free memory remains less than 5MB.
I wonder how webproxy can manage 37K regexp's? The same content, the same strings and much more work to filter them every request.
What's wrong with DNS server there?

P.S. And it adds/removes that DNS records soooo veeeerrrryyy ssssllooooowww, eating 100% CPU with great risk to whatchdog reboot...
Please, MT, give us access/method to simply add hosts file.
Last edited by Ansy on Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:32 pm

Proxy resolves one by one.
DNS resolves them many at a time, when TTL is reached, so you could get huge chunks of DNS names that need to be resolved at once.

I wouldn't suggest to import 30000 static entries in a home router.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:23 am

The question is, if the memory that it needs isn't too much. If you look at what I tried to import (third post in this thread), there are names with 17-21 character, plus 4 bytes for IPv4 address. Multiply that three times (one for static record and another two for created A and PTR in cache) and you get 63-75 bytes per record. This of course does not mean much, obviously there will always be some overhead. But 128MB / 40k = almost 3.3kB per record, that's a huge difference.

Ansy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:29 am

one for static record and another two for created A and PTR in cache
I can't see any A or PTR type records in DNS cache for my static DNS records created... are they hidden?
And why that STATIC records have to be cached at all -- if they are STATIC and always active?

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:39 am

I can't see any A or PTR type records in DNS cache for my static DNS records created... are they hidden?
And why that STATIC records have to be cached at all -- if they are STATIC and always active?
I am on 6.39RC and I have them in the cache list and would love an option to hide them.

Ansy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:57 pm

I am on 6.39RC and I have them in the cache list and would love an option to hide them.
Well, I can't repeat this on 6.37.3 (in production now) but can use Filter (Static-is-yes) on testing 6.38.1.
Yes, it creates A and PTR records for every static record. I wonder if dnsmasq does the same with large /etc/hosts file?

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:13 pm

Well, I can't repeat this on 6.37.3 (in production now) but can use Filter (Static-is-yes) on testing 6.38.1.
Yes, it creates A and PTR records for every static record. I wonder if dnsmasq does the same with large /etc/hosts file?
What is stated in the /etc/hosts file will create a PTR. If you want to avoid that you can use "host-record" in the config file of DNSMasq. If here are more than one IP addresses with same name then only the first PTR is generated.

This "host-record" is read before the /etc/hosts file.

About the PTR it is maybe nice to be able to select if will be shown or not show in the listing. This can be for all PTR records at once or each each separate entry.

liamalxd
just joined

Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:31 am

You should use Bind and some Linux scripts to achieve this rather than ask your router to do it IMO.

That way you can simply add "insert blacklisted site here" to a list that the script calls and generate rules based on that list.