Community discussions

Wildfireconnections
just joined
Topic Author

VPN between two Mikrotik 450G Routers

Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:15 pm

I have a MIkrotik 450g router connected to a PPPoE static IP at one location. I have another Mikrotik 450g router connected to a PPPoE static IP at another location. I'm wondering how to VPN these two routers together. I have a camera server at one location and all of the cameras at the other location. I'm wanting the cameras to connect to the server through the routers. Does this make any sense and will this work?

Thank you,

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Re: VPN between two Mikrotik 450G Routers

Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:23 pm

Why not?

Additionally you have static IPs, so that eases it even more.

I would try setting up a SSTP VPN between both, check http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Interface/SSTP

Once you have the VPN established and working, you will need to add static routes, so that router at server location knows how to reach camera location, and viceversa.
Simplicity is the Ultimate Sophistication - Da Vinci
Getting the most out of this forum

Wildfireconnections
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:01 pm

I'm fairly new to these Mikrotik Routers. When I'm adding the SSTP Client to the interface. Under dialout, the connect to: is this IP the static of where the router I'm currently working on or the other router attached to the other static IP?

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:55 pm

The IP or FQDN of the remote router.

JanezFord
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:35 pm

Take a look at this presentation from MUM EU 2016:

https://mum.mikrotik.com//presentations ... 135277.pdf

... and then choose appropriate VPN between your devices according to your hardware and needs.

I think ipsec would be a better choice for your needs than sstp.

JF.

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:51 pm

IPSec would certainly be deployable (fixed IPs), but more difficult to setup.

Taking into account the RB's involved, and that same Andis presentation, 450g will probably provide better performance with SSTP than setting up IPSec.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:43 pm

Actually, IPSec with public static addresses at both sides is very simple. Basically you tell each router the address of other one and remote subnet and that's it. Or if you want more normal routing, you can use IPIP/EoIP/GRE tunnel and recent RouterOS can add IPSec to that automatically (i did not test that yet myself, but I believe it works).
People who quote full posts should be spanked with ethernet cable. Some exceptions for multi-topic threads may apply.

JanezFord
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:40 pm

IPSec would certainly be deployable (fixed IPs), but more difficult to setup.

Taking into account the RB's involved, and that same Andis presentation, 450g will probably provide better performance with SSTP than setting up IPSec.
There are many examples on the wiki and also other sites (greg sowell for example) how to setup ipsec on mikrotik.

If you take a look at the benchmarks and comparison between different protocols in Andis presentation you will see that ipsec produces less overhead and has higher throughput than sstp. IP cameras usually produce a lot of traffic so this difference is not to be overlooked. Don't get me wrong, I like sstp but I think it is not a proper tool for this job.

JF.