Community discussions

MikroTik App

kroto
just joined
Topic Author

external proxy

Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:00 pm

first thing, im sorry my english not so good, and then i'm very newbie to mikrotik, is there anybody out there who kind enough to teach me howto make an external proxy(squid), i dont want to use mikrotik built in proxy, because if i use internal proxy, my queue tree doesnt work, i have split the overseas and domestic traffic in my mangle rules, please teach me step by step how to make it, thx

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:54 pm

MikroTik forum is for discussion about MikroTik products, squid is not MikroTik product. If you want to get help on squid you can try to find squid forum and ask squid community for help.
If you will set correctly upper proxy with other OS, anyway you can set it as well with another RouterOS router, use 'parent-proxy' option to direct proxy requests to upper proxy.

kroto
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:04 pm

wow, i think we have miss understood, what i want to ask is how to setup routing for external proxy, i have squid other OS already. how to redirect port 80 to my external. if i use transparant proxy that build in mikrotik, it bypass my queue tree, dstnat redirect 3128 for internal proxy, the traffic not queue, and in my queue tree the traffic is 0.

ajescobar

Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:06 am

I think you must add a rule similar to this one:

ip firewall nat add in-interface=Private dest-port=80 protocol=tcp action=redirect to-address=www.xxx.yyy.zzz to-ports=3128 chain=dstnat

where Private is the interface that looks at you user´s network and http://www.xxx.yyy.zzz is the IP address of you external proxy server.

I did it in the past using and external proxy server too but queue tree does not work either. I have to use and external proxy server and configure manually the browsers of each user.

kroto
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:53 am

yes, i have done it before too, but queue tree doest work, is any other way howto make queue tree work along with external proxy. maybe i have to set mikrotik behind proxy perhaps? so the diagram

modem-----proxy as gateway (2 NIC)-----mikrotik (2 NIC)-----client

so the proxy as a gateway for mikrotik, and mikrotik gateway for the client, is it right? but, if set up like that, i cannt access my mikrotik form outside of the local network right? i want to be able to access the mikrotik from outside of the local network

kroto
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:37 am

any idea how to make it happen?

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:21 am

pleace see packet flow and understand, the you should be able to create what you need

bushy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:23 pm

modem-----proxy as gateway (2 NIC)-----mikrotik (2 NIC)-----client

set up like that, i cannt access my mikrotik form outside of the local network right? i want to be able to access the mikrotik from outside of the local network
You can ssh into your proxy box and forward port 8291 and port 80 from the MT box to your pc outside the local network, it will work no problem

samsoft08
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: external proxy

Wed May 30, 2007 9:08 pm

hello USER to USER forum member ..
about using external cache server , I searched the forum , all I found is members who are using external proxy servers saying :
i'm using external proxy since 4 years ! its working fine with me ! its good ! it should be working ! no problem with it ! bla bla bla

so why they r asking ( the members who want to learn how to setup external proxy ) ? to know its good ? and someone is working with it since 100's years ??? :shock:

i'm not used to linux so as many members , and we are facing some troubles connecting the server with MT , most of us have no extra time to teach and be experts in Linux and networking , so we came here to ask the better knowledge people and who test and install many times more than us , all we got : its working .. but how ? thats waht we need to know ..
its a user to user forum dont forget that , its a shame on somebody who says : read the manual .