Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

Megakoresh
Topic Author

Are there any dual SC to SFP transcievers compatible with hAP AC?

Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:17 pm

Hello, as a kind of follow up to this topic(which I will update, with my results once I am done), I now have another question:

So I just received this router and I was wondering if there's any SFP connectors that can accept my dual SC optical input so that I don't have to deal with the media converter. Truth be told I was dumb enough to think that my connectors are already connected to SFP (no idea how I thought that, though I haven't opened that little box with all the networking stuff in over 2 years - a testament to Mikrotik's performance). First few searches on google and my local electronics store gave me a ton of LC to SFP transcievers, but no SC, and certainly not dual.

So my question is: can I find anywhere an SFP transciever for my dual SC optical inputs to plug into the hAP router so I can get rid of the media converter?

PS:
So that it's clearer, here's how my optical connectors look like right now:

PPS: do you think that this together with this would work?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Are there any dual SC to SFP transcievers compatible with hAP AC?

Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:51 pm

As you already found out, SFP to SC is a matter of using the correct cable.

Megakoresh
Topic Author

Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:59 pm

Right then, thanks. I just needed a confirmation from someone who knows this shit better than I do.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:01 pm

Ok, that cable works for sure but I have no experience with that SFP. You might want to check with others
or use the MikroTik SFP. However, I don't think MikroTik is very picky about supported SFP types.

Megakoresh
Topic Author

Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:48 pm

Ok, that cable works for sure but I have no experience with that SFP. You might want to check with others
or use the MikroTik SFP. However, I don't think MikroTik is very picky about supported SFP types.
Hey, on that front it occurred to me: How do I know the if the cable and SFP transciever I buy actually are compatible with my fiber? I mean I am pretty sure I have a multimode cable, but for instance the media converter I have has been running here for literally 11 years straight(since the house was built), as you see from the link you can't easily find these anymore and it states that is has 650nm wavelength, which I suppose is some old standard, since I can't find any SFP modules that would work with that. So do you think S-85DLC05D and this 50/125 micrometer cable will work with it?