Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

jtl
just joined
Topic Author

RB750Gr3 Can be used as wire speed switch?

Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:02 am

Hello

Thinking of getting a RB750Gr3 aka hEX as a switch for media cabinet. Will be using VLAN's, one for IPTV multicast traffic, one for standard LAN, and one for management.

Does RouterOS let you do wire-speed switching with VLAN's on the hEX, no need for NAT.

I will be using a router running pfSense 2.3.3_1 as my core router, which is hooked up to a Mikrotik CRS125 series switch, at which point they are hooked up to my patch panel to other rooms.

If anyone has experience with IGMP proxy with regards to IPTV traffic I would be interested in hearing your setup.

Thanks

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RB750Gr3 Can be used as wire speed switch?

Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:12 am

Get yourself RB260GS in case all you need is a switch.

Regarding IGMP proxy- it works, but it is only suitable for routing. It is not meant to be used with switching or bridging (and cannot be used like that). You need IGMP snooping for switching/bridging, but this feature is not supported by either RouterOS nor SwOS as of yet (and it's not clear if IGMP snooping will ever be added, search the forum if you need more insight into the topic). Or you can do switching without any kind of multicast helper in case you don't mind flooding all ports with your multicast traffic.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:22 am

Does RouterOS let you do wire-speed switching with VLAN's on the hEX, no need for NAT.
Yes. I believe you can even select a 5-port switch configuration, by default it has a 4-port switch on ports 2-5
with port 1 being separate from the switch.
However, there is no IGMP snooping support on that switch!
When you need a decent small switch I recommend you to shop elsewhere, MikroTik are no switch experts.
(basic features like IGMP snooping, spanning tree, LLDP etc are always lacking when compared to even
the cheapest competitor switches)

Kindis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:05 pm

I use Dlink switches at home that purpose. I have 3 dgs-1100-05 right now and Im very happy with them. Very good at Vlan and are stable. They are dirty sheep as well :)