Community discussions

MikroTik App

FIPTech
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Router OS default values - where to set them

Fri May 05, 2017 12:45 pm

Where the default Router OS values can be set ?

And if they are not settable, why do they exist ? I mean why do we have in the interface many fields with "default" instead of the actual set value ?

Wouldn't it be simpler to remove all references to default values in the Winbox and Webfig interfaces, and present the real value instead of the word "default" that seems to me really confusing ?

For example in the menu interface, loop protect, Winbox show three Loop protect states :

- off
- on

The default value is "off". Why simply not show "off". It seems to me that would be really less confusing for users.

Do i miss something ?

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Router OS default values - where to set them

Sat May 06, 2017 10:04 pm

It can perhaps be a little confusing, but I think it can also be useful indication of option that might have different default value in future. If you have clear preference for "on" or "off", you can set it now and avoid being affected by future change. It's just my guess. To make it less confusing, it could show as "default (<current default value>)".

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 06, 2017 10:12 pm

I hate unremovable defaults anyway. For example the default wireless security profile...

FIPTech
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Sun May 07, 2017 1:36 am

Would be better to have something like this :

- off (default)
- on

or

- off
- on (default)

And give the possibility to change the global defaults.

Joni
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:26 pm

This, unfortunate ignorance of Mikrotik.
I love the fact that someone has actually taken the time to write default = default in all value definitions in the wiki...

However, many value defaults are listed in the wiki:
change-tcp-mss (yes | no | default; Default: default) Modifies connection MSS settings:

yes - adjust connection MSS value
no - do not adjust connection MSS value
default - derive this value from the interface default profile; same as no if this is the interface default profile

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:P ... r_Profiles

However this "interface default profile" is the xxTP (PPTP/L2TP) server settings default.

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:11 pm

Where the default Router OS values can be set ?

And if they are not settable, why do they exist ? I mean why do we have in the interface many fields with "default" instead of the actual set value ?

Wouldn't it be simpler to remove all references to default values in the Winbox and Webfig interfaces, and present the real value instead of the word "default" that seems to me really confusing ?

For example in the menu interface, loop protect, Winbox show three Loop protect states :

- off
- on

The default value is "off". Why simply not show "off". It seems to me that would be really less confusing for users.

Do i miss something ?
Sometimes one setting uses values already set from another place. One example is the ppp profile - used with some connections.
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:P ... r_Profiles

Some values, when declared "default", inherit its values from the interface used. So, the "default" value isn't an arbitrary default. The real meaning is "use the already set value, to this interface, as the default for this connection".

Joni
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:58 am

Some values, when declared "default", inherit its values from the interface used. So, the "default" value isn't an arbitrary default. The real meaning is "use the already set value, to this interface, as the default for this connection".

Guess what, we know what default means, guess what, we are just discussing the subject and would like to know when and where from they are inherited, interface is a bit vague for many settings and what the actual value presumed by default is (as a hint of what value might be the inherited one). Please don't participate more.

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:20 pm

Guess what, we know what default means, guess what, we are just discussing the subject and would like to know when and where from they are inherited, interface is a bit vague for many settings and what the actual value presumed by default is (as a hint of what value might be the inherited one). Please don't participate more.
Charming to the end. Were you born this way, or slowly turned into... this?