OKNET
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Need a clarification on hotspot trial user

Mon May 15, 2017 11:46 am

I need some explanations on hotspot and trial user settings:
How does HTTP Cookie Lifetime work ?
What does it happens when this timer expire ?

On Hotspot server profile, a pair of timers where used , as per manual ; trial-uptime (time/time; Default: 30m/1d)
Are they replaced now by two fields "Trial Uptime Limit" and "Trial Uptime Reset" ??

Thank you

OKNET
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Need a clarification on hotspot trial user

Mon May 15, 2017 11:10 pm

A bigger problem:

Suddenly hotspot users (trial authentication) cannot get the login page thus they cannot turn into active user and navigate internet.

They can get login page typing hotspot server ip address on web browser, after trial login, the hotspot user is created as well its cookie and it is listed into active users

Even a simple HTTP request cannot trigger the login page.

No new mods to the configuration

Any suggestion please ??

OKNET
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue May 16, 2017 4:23 pm

Sorry for this "up"

I've solved reloading the old backup (same identical configuration)

Probably some time limit expired and but cleared by restore ??

Any idea ??

OKNET
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Need a clarification on hotspot trial user (I'm Stuck)

Mon May 22, 2017 6:35 pm

Not able to solve the issue :

I need trial users to have no time/bandwidth limits for 10-15 days (hotel guests)

I have set up hotspot with these parameters :

SERVER IdleTimeout 5 min.

Server profile - Login by Cookie, Http Chap, Trial
Http Cookie Lifetime 3 days
Trial Uptime Limit 0
Trial Uptime Reset 15 days

User Profile - Idle Timeout None
Keepalive Timeout 2 min.
Add MAC Cookie Checked with 3 days timeout

Modified hotspot welcome page showing only " Click here to start " to mask the trial login link :
$(if trial == 'yes')<a style="color: #0055FF; font-size: 20px"href="$(link-login-only)?dst=$(link-orig-esc)&username=T-$(mac-esc)">Click here to start.</a>.$(endif)
The problem :

After a period of time (about 7 days), the welcome page is no more displayed to users (any browser is stuck on wait, then "page cannot be displayed"), so they cannot authenticate thus no internet access.
If users type the hotspot ip address on the browser, the welcome page appears and they can login normally (always a trial login however)

I can't realize why it behave this way.
Any suggestion please ? What should I check ?

Thank you very much

rpancap
just joined

Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:01 pm

Hello, did you manage to solve this ? I have similar problem. I am trying to make the Trial without any time limits. And the website doesnt show, sometimes, other times it doesnt show the the user the ability to log with trial.

chrisjc
just joined

Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:13 am

Hello,

I'm not 100% sure on how to set the trial uptime limit and trial uptime reset but I've set the trial uptime reset to be lower than the trial uptime limit (so no one ever gets limited hopefully). You need to make sure that the DHCP leases, the idle timeout, the keepalive timeout and the mac cookie timeout are ALL SET EXACTLY THE SAME!

Then you need to flush all your hotspot hosts list, mac-cookies, and DHCP leases all at once.

What I've realised is happening is associations between the mac addresses in the list, hosts and DHCP leases get out of whack so the hotspot thinks someone different is on a given IP address (as the same lease has been given) or sees a mismatch between mac and IP and doesn't display the splash.

I know my description isn't great, but following my instructions should sort it out properly for evermore (probably).

Give it a go and tell me how you get on.

chrisjc
just joined

Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:17 am

Ideally, you need to kick people off the network, and get them to reconnect so the leases get retaken and then they log in to hotspot with the timeout working properly.

Yes, I know I'm 2 years late in my response, but maybe this will help some other poor soul so they can avoid the pain that I've experienced.

ik3umt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:25 pm

So , we agree about kicking them off sometimes, to "refresh" all things.
Then what are the suggested combined values in: Http Cookie Lifetime, Trial Uptime Limit, Trial Uptime Reset and eventually dhcp lease time for a "pseudo-no-time-limit" user ?