Community discussions

MikroTik App

MosFett
just joined
Topic Author

Wireless Speed Slow

Thu May 18, 2017 1:53 am

Hi All,

I am hoping someone can give me some advice, I have a MikroTik RB951G-2HnD connected to my Shaw Cable Box. I recently upgraded my network connection. After I got the new cable modem and got it setup with Shaw I see speed increases at both the Shaw Box (170 MB/s) and when I am physically wired to the router (170 MB/s) but get much less on the wireless connection (11-20 MB/s). I have tried several different PC's with the same result, both located within 10 ft of router with no obstructions.

Any productive advice would be appreciated.

I am not great with networking.

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Wireless Speed Slow

Thu May 18, 2017 7:21 pm

20MB/s means 160mbps, which is excelent for .n wireless and pretty much maximum speed you will ever see.

Van9018
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri May 19, 2017 12:46 am

I have sold about 30 Mikrotiks (same model as yours) to various clients. All of mine only get 8-20 mbps, even when I was 4 feet under it. Then I purchased a $250 5Ghz Mikrotik with 2 antennas and it only gets 20-40Mbps when I'm 5 feet away from it.

I've since been disabling the wifi in the Mikrotiks and opting for the DLink DIR-822. It's $100 from staples. They have sales every few months, a month ago they were $50.

The DLink gets the full 150 (Shaw 150) when using 5Ghz.

I tried different settings on the Mikrotik, spent hours with no success.

Most computers and phones bought since 2012(?) should be able to connect to a 5Ghz wifi. If your device does not support 5Ghz, you simply won't see it in the list of wireless networks. Devices bought in the last year or so should have MIMO enabled. This will allow for faster speeds, and twice the users to use the wifi.

The 5Ghz range won't go through walls as well as the 2.4Ghz range. The last DLink I setup was in a central location in a 13,000 sqft space, very few walls. 15 users. Seems to work fine. I noticed the 2.4Ghz band was able to wrap around a concrete wall better than the 5Ghz.

If you use the Dir-822, position the antennas correctly. You'll get the best performance when the antenna is perpendicular to your computers.

JohnSmith75
just joined

Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:54 pm

I'm a guitar player and I have a lot of devices that work according to the Bluetooth data transfer standard. At some point, I realized that the speed of the home network has been significantly decreased, and the speed of WiFi was terrible. I spent a lot of time looking for the solution of this problem. Finally, I found the tool - Free WiFi Analyzer , that helped me. It has both quick diagnostics tools and tips for solving and optimizing the network. I recommend you to have a look at this service. Hope it will helps you.