MikroTik App

robertEIT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Half duplex 100 only and link duplex mismatch on hAP Lite and EPON

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:31 pm

Hi guys,
I'm struggling with a situation here, I have a EPON Huawei HG323UEG in bridge mode and a hAP Lite set up in a basic PPPoE client on ether1, ether2 master, bridge1 with ether2 and wlan1 as ports.

What I'm seeing is escessive "link duplex mismatch" errors on port ether1. The link speed on ether1 is also only 100 half duplex.

I tried all suggestions found on the forum with unchecking "auto-negociation", "flow control to Off, On or auto", setting the same ethernet options on WAN and LAN interfaces, etc, but I still can't manage to get 100 Mbps full duplex and get rid of those duplex mismatch errors. I also get very low speeds like 10 - 20 Mbps Internet when I should have 90, wich I do if I connect my laptop directly to the EPON and do the PPPoE connection directly.

I also upgraded both packages and routerboard to latest version, no change.

When I connect my laptop directly to the EPON I get a auto-negociated 1Gbit connection and I can also set a 100Mbps one.

What I am missing?
Screenshot_20170605_180731.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Half duplex 100 only and link duplex mismatch on hAP Lite and EPON

Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:26 pm

What happens if you hard code speed/duplex on each side to 100/Full or 1000/Full ?

robertEIT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: RE: Re: Half duplex 100 only and link duplex mismatch on hAP Lite and EPON

Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:49 pm

What happens if you hard code speed/duplex on each side to 100/Full or 1000/Full ?
I have no way of setting the interface on the EPON, I will try though to set eth1 on the hAp to 100 full. Should I also set 100 full to eth2, 3, 4?

Sent from my STH100-2 using Tapatalk

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:55 pm

Setting one side to auto and then the other to hard coded causes duplex mismatch on 100 Meg links but should work on 1 gig links. Ideally you want to match on both sides. Have you tried any other versions of RouterOS to see if there is any difference?

Another easy test is to put a cheap dumb switch in between to see if the FCS errors go away.

robertEIT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:02 pm

Setting one side to auto and then the other to hard coded causes duplex mismatch on 100 Meg links but should work on 1 gig links. Ideally you want to match on both sides. Have you tried any other versions of RouterOS to see if there is any difference?

Another easy test is to put a cheap dumb switch in between to see if the FCS errors go away.
I'm at the third version of routeros, on every one it did the same. I changed cables, reset the EPON several times and even asked the ISP to check it, but on their laptop and on mine, connected directly, it works just fine at 1Gbit. I could try and set eth1 to 1000 full duplex in routeros , I see the option but what will this mean if the hAp Lite is 100 Mbps only capable device? I'll try 100 Mbps full duplex option also.

I can't change any ethernet related options in the EPON though, the user is a limited one give by the ISP and you can barely do anything on this garbage device anyway.

juliokato
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:27 pm

Try changing the cable to cross cable.

agnostic
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:45 am

you should go with a hap routerboard with gigabit ethernet because your isp to internet is approx 90 mbps as you said. keep in mind that 100mbps cable speed, on tcp protocol is approx 50-70 mbps. for ethernet link problems make sure you have a good cable, updated ros firmware (bugfix is good) and check your epon compatibility with a 100mbps ethernet port. i had too link problems and it turned out to be a bad pressed ethernet jack clip.

robertEIT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:24 am

you should go with a hap routerboard with gigabit ethernet because your isp to internet is approx 90 mbps as you said. keep in mind that 100mbps cable speed, on tcp protocol is approx 50-70 mbps. for ethernet link problems make sure you have a good cable, updated ros firmware (bugfix is good) and check your epon compatibility with a 100mbps ethernet port. i had too link problems and it turned out to be a bad pressed ethernet jack clip.
I tried several patch cables, factory made and made by myself, it's not the cable. I know about the hAp throughput but I have the same configuration on several locations and works just fine. In my location this ISP uses these garbage Huawei EPONs. I will try and use a cross cable, haven't used those for years :)

Admin I specified, I tried different routeros versions and everything is up to date. I'll try the bugfix channel updates though.

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:03 pm

And if the cross cable does not help the put a small switch inbetween. Sometimes devices do not like each other.

robertEIT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:38 pm

Ok,
Went today and did some tests.

Cross cable - nothing, exactly the same thing, 100 half duplex and collision warnings.

I tried with a longer cable, straight and cross - nothing, same issue.

Right when I plug the cable it seems to get up at 100mbps full duplex but goes to 100 half duplex few seconds later.

I have another location with exactly the same setup, Huawei HG323uw and a hAP Lite and the exact same thing happens.

I tried both ports on the ONU, no changes.

Using a laptop with a Gigabit ethernet connected straight to the ONU is perfectly fine, it connects with 1Gbps full duplex. Using a HP PC with a fast ethernet 100mbps card connects perfectly at 100mbps full duplex.

There is something definitely on the hAp Lite and\or ROS!

I also have a RB951G connected to the same type of ONU, Huawei HG323uw in another location in my area and it connects fine at full 1Gbps with no collision errors and full ISP speeds. I have access to all of them.

I have about 8 setups with hAp Lite in this combination in my village, I'll have to go and check the rest on wich I did not set up WAN access, but I bet they have the same issue.

Changing the ONU is not an option, the local ISP only gives those here and they offer no support because they say it's not their problem.

There are no issues with cheap Tenda, TP-LINK, Netis etc, routers and this frustrate me!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

idlemind
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:11 pm

/system logging add topics=interface,debug action=memory
^^ Adjust the action if you have a syslog server or would prefer it to go to echo.

Do you get any additional feedback from that? Something that may help point the developers in the right direction? Like others have mentioned, are you able to plug a simple layer 2 switch in between the 2 devices as a work-around until a permanent solution has been found?

There have been some Ethernet improvements, although called out as 10mbps full duplex manual on 100mbps specifically in the 6.40rc train. Just as a process of elimination you can try the latest RC release on one while you're testing the older code trains like 6.37.5 as well.

Last thing, I've heard of others having link negotiation issues from RF interference. If memory serves me it was on FM based towers. The solution was to use fiber or in some cases grounded shielded cabling. Are you on a tower with other non WISP type gear? AM / FM / High power cellular? Have you tried shielded cables? Have you tried the equipment away from the tower? Is everything as grounded as it can be (cables, devices)?

troffasky

Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:58 pm

keep in mind that 100mbps cable speed, on tcp protocol is approx 50-70 mbps.
Nah. I would expect 94Mbps TCP throughput on 100M ethernet. If you're getting 50-70M on 100M ethernet, something's wrong.

Van9018
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:05 am

The auto-negotiation standard grew to quickly. Vendors may have different interpretations on how 10/100 auto-negotiation should work. These interpretation issues are rare in gigabit links.

Without auto-negotiation, link speed can still be determined but duplex cannot.

If you set both devices to 100Mbit Full Duplex then you should be ok. Or upgrade to a Mikrotik that supports a gigabit interface so auto-negotation works better.

I came across this issue with an RB750 and a bridged modem. Manual setting of 100 Full Duplex worked for me.

robertEIT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:41 am

The auto-negotiation standard grew to quickly. Vendors may have different interpretations on how 10/100 auto-negotiation should work. These interpretation issues are rare in gigabit links.

Without auto-negotiation, link speed can still be determined but duplex cannot.

If you set both devices to 100Mbit Full Duplex then you should be ok. Or upgrade to a Mikrotik that supports a gigabit interface so auto-negotation works better.

I came across this issue with an RB750 and a bridged modem. Manual setting of 100 Full Duplex worked for me.
I can't set the ethernet speed on the Huawei, it doesn't have such thing in the menu and I can't even access the menu being set in bridge mode by the ISP.

All other devices work just fine, including cheap routers so I really think this is something related strictly to ROS and Mikrotik.

Going with Gigabit Mikrotik devices just for this issue is going to cost too much, clients will rather buy TP-LINK.

robertEIT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:47 am

/system logging add topics=interface,debug action=memory
^^ Adjust the action if you have a syslog server or would prefer it to go to echo.

Do you get any additional feedback from that? Something that may help point the developers in the right direction? Like others have mentioned, are you able to plug a simple layer 2 switch in between the 2 devices as a work-around until a permanent solution has been found?

There have been some Ethernet improvements, although called out as 10mbps full duplex manual on 100mbps specifically in the 6.40rc train. Just as a process of elimination you can try the latest RC release on one while you're testing the older code trains like 6.37.5 as well.

Last thing, I've heard of others having link negotiation issues from RF interference. If memory serves me it was on FM based towers. The solution was to use fiber or in some cases grounded shielded cabling. Are you on a tower with other non WISP type gear? AM / FM / High power cellular? Have you tried shielded cables? Have you tried the equipment away from the tower? Is everything as grounded as it can be (cables, devices)?
I'll set up the logging and post here the output.

There is absolutely no RF interference, even the wifi channels are almost clear in both my locations. No towers, it's a little house and the Mikrotik is connected right near the ONU.

I will try the switch in between just for tests.

I'll also try the RC ROS versions.

robertEIT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:37 am

Ok,
Adding "interface, debug" in logging doesn't seem to put out more useful information.

I will try and install the RC version of ROS.

Also, an output of my eth interfaces
# jul/02/2017 00:40:59 by RouterOS 6.39.2
# software id = GXN6-CS27
#
/interface ethernet
set [ find default-name=ether1 ] rx-flow-control=auto tx-flow-control=auto
set [ find default-name=ether2 ] rx-flow-control=auto tx-flow-control=auto
set [ find default-name=ether3 ] master-port=ether2 rx-flow-control=auto \
    tx-flow-control=auto
set [ find default-name=ether4 ] master-port=ether2 rx-flow-control=auto \
    tx-flow-control=auto
 interface ethernet monitor ether1 
                      name: ether1
          auto-negotiation: done
                      rate: 100Mbps
               full-duplex: no
           tx-flow-control: yes
           rx-flow-control: yes
               advertising: 10M-half,10M-full,100M-half,100M-full
  link-partner-advertising: 100M-half

Van9018
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:12 pm

I can't set the ethernet speed on the Huawei, it doesn't have such thing in the menu and I can't even access the menu being set in bridge mode by the ISP. All other devices work just fine, including cheap routers so I really think this is something related strictly to ROS and Mikrotik.
I also could not set the speed/duplex on my bridged modem. But since the Huawei is defaulting to 100 full when auto negotiation fails, why not just set the Mikrotik to 100/full? In your last post it shows the modem advertising only 100 half. Mine also does that (but then the modem uses 100 full). By setting my RB750 to 100 full, the issues have stopped completely. It seems the modem always uses 100 full despite what the Mikrotik says the modem is advertising.

robertEIT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:43 pm

I can't set the ethernet speed on the Huawei, it doesn't have such thing in the menu and I can't even access the menu being set in bridge mode by the ISP. All other devices work just fine, including cheap routers so I really think this is something related strictly to ROS and Mikrotik.
I also could not set the speed/duplex on my bridged modem. But since the Huawei is defaulting to 100 full when auto negotiation fails, why not just set the Mikrotik to 100/full? In your last post it shows the modem advertising only 100 half. Mine also does that (but then the modem uses 100 full). By setting my RB750 to 100 full, the issues have stopped completely. It seems the modem always uses 100 full despite what the Mikrotik says the modem is advertising.
Hi,
Should I uncheck all advertised speeds BUT 100 Mbps full and also let
auto-negociation
and
TX RX flow control
ON or OFF?

Van9018
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:30 am

The screen changes when unchecking auto-negotiation. You then select your speed. TX and RX flow control is off. For me this was already set as off.
100full.png

robertEIT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:32 am

The screen changes when unchecking auto-negotiation. You then select your speed. TX and RX flow control is off. For me this was already set as off.
100full.png
Great!
I'll try it and see what happens!

robertEIT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:42 am

Ok,
So I did manually set 100 Mbps Full Duplex with TX \ RX flow control off on two of my hAP Lites wich had this issues and its been over 12 hours now and no duplex mismatch errors. I'll check them in two or three days to see if something happened but so far so good :)!

robertEIT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:59 pm

Ok, it's been a few days now and it seems no more duplex mismatch errors. I guess this is the way to deal with Huawei HG323UW and hAP Lite.

Van9018
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:34 pm

Good to hear it worked!

Setting interfaces to 100 Full can also resolve frequent link up/downs when both endpoints are gigabit running through old Cat 5e cables. This sometimes happens in old buildings with Cat 5 and long cable runs.