Community discussions

MikroTik App

ik3umt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Event webpage injection to hotspot user

Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:59 pm

Is there a way to pop up a webpage to hotspot free user browsing web in order to advise i.e. restaurant "today's menu" or "today's events" ?

Not into login page but arbitrarily with content and time chosen by hotspot manager

reinerotto
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Event webpage injection to hotspot user

Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:32 pm

In principal, YES, there is. I developed some commercial software to do 'injection of content' into HTML, on-the-fly, using a proxy (http only).
A common usage scenario is the injection of ads, typically overlays, by means of injected JS.
In case of interest, contact me augustus_meyerATyahoo.com

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:50 pm

You should do this in the login page only, inserting your own content into 3rd party sites you have no control over is a bad idea. The target site may style or overlay your content or your content could break key features of the website. I've not once encountered MITM content injection where I thought "This adds a lot of value to my internet experience and isn't distracting me from what I want to do".

reinerotto
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:51 am

Injection of content into 3rd party pages can help in funding free hotspots. You are correct, that there _might_ be interference, but only in case of extremely dynamic (tricky) sites.. Which need to be blacklisted.
MTs 'interstetials' are much more risky regarding disturbance of 3rd party sites.