Community discussions

MikroTik App

jmay
Topic Author

Copying configuration from router to router shuffles up ports

Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:46 pm

This is an old issue, but I wonder if we can ever fix it. Any time I upgrade a router the configuration file really jumbles up all the ethernet ports. I have to manually identify each port and then change dhcp settings, ip addresses on wrong ports, firewall rules setup on wrong ports, etc.

It's really annoying, is there no way to address that?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Copying configuration from router to router shuffles up ports

Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:00 pm

Are you using default interface names?

jmay
Topic Author

Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:06 pm

Yes, I have never changed the names of ports, I use comments instead. Are others not experiencing this? I've dealt with it for years and just put up with it. If the 2 routers are the same model it's ok, but if I go from one model to another, especially if the 2 models have a different number of ports, it gets all jumbled. I'm pretty used to correcting them, but I recently missed a firewall rule that prevents my routers from being used as a DNS server unless they are on my customer port, which was wrong.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:35 pm

How do you copy configuration? Backup on one router and restore on another, perhaps? If so, it's wrong way, use export instead. Unfortunately, that brings different problems, as export does not really export everything.

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:46 pm

If you use a binary backup to restore a configuration, and you don't use exactly the same platform and ROS version on the new one as the old one, then strange things can and will happen like you're seeing. As stated earlier, the best thing to do is export the configuration, and possibly you'll need to go through it and remove anything that references something invalid (e.g. if you go from a platform w/ a hardware switch chip, then any commands related to that won't be valid if the target platform has no HW switch chip, e.g. 2011 -> CCR1009)